What are you spinning — Part 2

Jim Schue

Yes and No. I would love to have all of the albums but Aenima is usually harder to find and more expensive. 10,000 days is impossible to find and very expensive. You can get Opiate for pretty cheap though, 14-15 bucks on Amazon.

I have a copy of Undertow and a first pressing of Ænima...:up:

When Ænima was first released before I was back into vinyl,I picked up a copy on CD.

Best Buy was giving away a 10in vinyl picture disk with the purchase of the CD.

So I also have that one on vinyl...

Ænima by far is my favorite Tool album,Actually it's my second favorite album of all albums.Right behind The Beatles White Album...

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a copy of Undertow and a first pressing of Ænima...:up:

When Ænima was first released before I was back into vinyl,I picked up a copy on CD.

Best Buy was giving away a 10in vinyl picture disk with the purchase of the CD.

So I also have that one on vinyl...

Ænima by far is my favorite Tool album,Actually it's my second favorite album of all albums.Right behind The Beatles White Album...

First of all that is an awesome deal right there, a vinyl with the cd. Now 20 years later almost, a first pressing vinyl that you essentially got for free is probably worth some nice coin. Not to mention TOOL vinyl is getting harder and harder to find, especially vinyl that is not a re-release.

Secondly I agree with you totally about it being an awesome album. I love every TOOL album but Lateralus and AEnima are both right at the top. Which one is my favorite depends on what day it is, usually I will give Lateralus the nod though but AEnima was groundbreaking. As a fan of TOOL I'm so glad they are not what you consider mainstream or commercial, but on the otherside of that its sad that so many people will never ever hear about them or any of their albums. IMO they will go down as one of the best to ever do it, they are so good as a whole. It's like they just feed off each other in ways most bands cannot, they are definitely the total package. Don't know how any "real" fan of music could throw on a TOOL album and listen from start to finish and not be absolutely blown away. I'm a fan and all, but I have seriously listened to everything they have thousands of times and I am still enjoying their music and hearing things I have never noticed before. No matter how much I'm into a band at a given time or what kind of music phase I'm going through I never get tired or burnt out on them. Most bands I eventually get tired of it after a while, but I've been rocking some TOOL hard for almost 15 years now (pretty much over 2/3 of my life) and I still love it as much if not more than I ever have. Just brilliant stuff!

First of all that is an awesome deal right there, a vinyl with the cd. Now 20 years later almost, a first pressing vinyl that you essentially got for free is probably worth some nice coin. Not to mention TOOL vinyl is getting harder and harder to find, especially vinyl that is not a re-release.

Secondly I agree with you totally about it being an awesome album. I love every TOOL album but Lateralus and AEnima are both right at the top. Which one is my favorite depends on what day it is, usually I will give Lateralus the nod though but AEnima was groundbreaking. As a fan of TOOL I'm so glad they are not what you consider mainstream or commercial, but on the otherside of that its sad that so many people will never ever hear about them or any of their albums. IMO they will go down as one of the best to ever do it, they are so good as a whole. It's like they just feed off each other in ways most bands cannot, they are definitely the total package. Don't know how any "real" fan of music could throw on a TOOL album and listen from start to finish and not be absolutely blown away. I'm a fan and all, but I have seriously listened to everything they have thousands of times and I am still enjoying their music and hearing things I have never noticed before. No matter how much I'm into a band at a given time or what kind of music phase I'm going through I never get tired or burnt out on them. Most bands I eventually get tired of it after a while, but I've been rocking some TOOL hard for almost 15 years now (pretty much over 2/3 of my life) and I still love it as much if not more than I ever have. Just brilliant stuff!

I can remember around 93-94 seeing the videos of Prison Sex and Sober.I thought they were cool but nothing that flat out grabbed me.I used to go to Best Buy every Tuesday because it was new release day.On Tuesday September 17th 1996 the new Tool Album Ænima was released and on sale for $9.99...The fact that it was on sale and had this killer 3-d cover made it a easy choice for me to give it a try,not to mention the free vinyl that came with it...

I must say that album and I were destined to be...lol...

When introducing Ænima to someone that has never listened to that album,I tell them to start from the beginning and don't stop until it's finished...

If I had to recommend one song it would have to be Eulogy.I would tell them to put some headphones on,sit back close your eyes and get ready for the roller coaster ride of their life...:ylsuper:

When Lateralus came out I picked it up on Cd.I thought it was cool but I have never felt that it could do for me what Ænima did to my brain.

In my opinion,Ænima is a once in a lifetime work of art that can never be duplicated...

It's a freaking Masterpiece...:Blackalien:

I can remember around 93-94 seeing the videos of Prison Sex and Sober.I thought they were cool but nothing that flat out grabbed me.I used to go to Best Buy every Tuesday because it was new release day.On Tuesday September 17th 1996 the new Tool Album Ænima was released and on sale for $9.99...The fact that it was on sale and had this killer 3-d cover made it a easy choice for me to give it a try,not to mention the free vinyl that came with it...

I must say that album and I were destined to be...lol...

When introducing Ænima to someone that has never listened to that album,I tell them to start from the beginning and don't stop until it's finished...

If I had to recommend one song it would have to be Eulogy.I would tell them to put some headphones on,sit back close your eyes and get ready for the roller coaster ride of their life...:ylsuper:

When Lateralus came out I picked it up on Cd.I thought it was cool but I have never felt that it could do for me what Ænima did to my brain.

In my opinion,Ænima is a once in a lifetime work of art that can never be duplicated...

It's a freaking Masterpiece...:Blackalien:

Agree wholeheartedly. TOOL IMO is like a modern day Pink Floyd in that you have to listen to the entire album and not just specific tracks. The album as a whole is the creation not just a bunch of singles back to back to back. That's why a lot of people never really get into them, they just want/expect a bunch of singles, then when they run into a masterpiece of music that lasts seven or eight minutes its just too long for them to handle.

The thing I like most about them and one of the reasons I feel they are so good is that every single album is unique. Each one is far different than the last. Opiate was just raw in your face type stuff, Maynard has stated for the EP (which was basically a demo) they just wanted the hardest stuff they had at the time. Undertow then kind of followed that path, some pretty hard and heavy stuff but a little more musical complexity. Then as you said with AEnima they just totally broke the mold of anything that had really ever been done. They still had that hard heavy sound, but it was blended with a tranquil mix of beauty as well. Then with Lateralus they go a little more spiritual, still heavy and deep but far more psychedelic and mellow than AEnima. Then lastly 10,000 days stepped way more into that psychedelic melodic vibe with riffs and soundscapes that are really works of art. A reason they can make each album have its own sound is they don't record material except for every 5-6 years. They have stated most bands record, tour, record, tour, etc. They say how far can you grow as a musician doing it like that? Those dudes have been around since 92' and still only have five albums (92', 93', 96', 01', 06') and still waiting on the sixth for more than seven years.