Book suggestions

Preferrably political and they don't necessarily have to be US politics but I'm certainly intrigued by US politics. I was a Poli Sci and Criminal Justice double major that just graduated last May from NKU. I have a co worker that was reading an American Politics book for class and I asked if I could take a gander. Needless to say it reminded me of how much I enjoy the subject and miss being involved in discussions about it.

So with that said what would you all suggest? I really am not a fiction person so leaning more towards history, theory or philosophy.

Without thinking too much, I think these are interesting:

"The Nine" by Jeffrey Toobin. It's a little outdated at this point, written in 2007 or so, but it's the best examination of the last 20+ years of the US Supreme Court I've ever read.

"Keynes/Hayek: The Clash That Defined Modern Economics" by Nicholas Wapshott. Released just this past fall. It's not politics per se, but the fundamental disagreement between Keynesians and Hayekians is played out in every economic discussion in American politics. The writer is a journalist and not an economist so I thought it was really easy to understand.

This may be the "out there" recommendation, and given that you were a Poli Sci major you probably have already read this, but I'm currently reading The Conservative Mind, by Russell Kirk, and as a relative newcomer to political thought, am loving it. Given the time period it was written, at times it can be a bit difficult to read, but it provides some awesome history and background that I didn't pick up in college as a technical major.

Review from Amazon:

The Conservative Mind by Russell Kirk is arguably one of the greatest contributions to twentieth-century American Conservatism. Brilliant in every respect, from its conception to its choice of significant figures representing the history of intellectual conservatism, The Conservative Mind by Russell Kirk launched the modern American Conservative Movement. A must-read.

Read Bowling Alone, it's a look in to how American's are becoming isolated from each other and the political/economical impacts of such a change.

That actually sounds pretty fascinating. I've felt that way for a while, it seems as though technology is making every one more connected however it also seems to really suppliment for other interactions that seemingly take a back seat slide. I will definitely check it out.

"The Nine" by Jeffrey Toobin. It's a little outdated at this point, written in 2007 or so, but it's the best examination of the last 20+ years of the US Supreme Court I've ever read.

Good read. There was another one back in the late 80s/early 90s about the Rehnquist court that was also very good.

In regards to the issue of oil I highly suggest Jeffrey Rubin's "Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller." Great read as to what the realities the oil supply and why what we always thought was true isn't true.