Van Halen's New Single "Tattoo" - What do you think?

Sonny Crockett

Was hoping for something better to come out of the chute with....I'll reserve full judgement until I hear the rest of the album. My problem is that Van Halen, Fair Warning, Women and Children First, got me hooked a long time ago and I'm dying for a VH fix of some new stuff.

Would you pay $90 per ticket to see them?

Not in a million years. That's 3X past my limit for concert tix. If I didn't get to see them when they were a $15 show (i.e., before they made it big), it probably wouldn't be that good anyway because I couldn't stand being around that many people. Paid $80 to see Springsteen with the E Street Band on the reunion tour many years ago, and that hurt to break my $30 rule, despite the show being fantastic.

A totally different sound without Michael Anthony's backing vocals. The song is just ok. I think most of the new album will be all re-worked demos. I know Bullethead and She's the woman are pre-VH 1. These songs could be very good but when you leave out part of the original VH sound(MA) it will not be the same.

I've never been a huge Van Halen fan.

This song failed to meet my already low expectations.

Just like athletes have a prime and a peak, so do musicians. There aren't many bands that can keep making new stuff that is worthwhile. And, even the few that I can think of usually aren't as good as their peak which is typically within their first 4-5 albums.

In some ways, I think these artists/bands that die young are blessed in that way. Nobody ever got to hear their 10th album after their initial creativity had passed. All we ever knew was them at their peak.