13th Region Baseball - 2006

I dont see M,boro or Bell co. being a contender for the 13th this year. Too young and no big tournament experience, also there are to many attitudes to contend with on these teams.

I would agree that they are young and inexperienced. However, I dont get your last point. Please enlighten me. I'm pretty sure Greer doesnt let attitudes run amuck on his teams.

I cant speak for M'boro, but despite Bell Co.'s youth and inexperience they are going to be very talented. Its gonna be a matter of how fast they can mature whether they are a contender in the 13th or not.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see M,boro or Bell co. being a contender for the 13th this year. Too young and no big tournament experience, also there are to many attitudes to contend with on these teams.

No big tournament experience?? Lets see...

C.Earls- Started every game, including games against Louisville Male, Bryan Station, and Rockcastle. Also, during the season, he came in and pitched relief in a win against Rockcastle. He came in and pitched relief in the regional semi-finals and got the save.

T. Hoskins- Has been playing varsity since 8th grade. Was the winning pitcher in the district championship and starting pitcher in the regional championship as a freshman.

S. Frady- Has been playing varsity since he was a freshman. Started the entire second half of the season in 2005, including the regional championship.

There are three players right there that have experience in a regional championship. Not many players can claim that first of all. Second of all, Middlesboro isn't that young this year. They will have about 2 freshman starting, like usual, but will return 7 starters from last years team and 3 starters in the regional runner-up team two years ago. Their coaches are about experienced as it gets, actually, probably the most experienced coaches in the 13th region. This team is far from young, from the players to the coaches.

They may have had an atitude problem last year but you don't think a district runner-up and first round regional bounce is going to humble these guys? I look for Coach Sowders and Coach Powell to excel with this team this year.

Middlesboro is always a contender.

No big tournament experience?? Lets see...

C.Earls- Started every game, including games against Louisville Male, Bryan Station, and Rockcastle. Also, during the season, he came in and pitched relief in a win against Rockcastle. He came in and pitched relief in the regional semi-finals and got the save.

T. Hoskins- Has been playing varsity since 8th grade. Was the winning pitcher in the district championship and starting pitcher in the regional championship as a freshman.

S. Frady- Has been playing varsity since he was a freshman. Started the entire second half of the season in 2005, including the regional championship.

There are three players right there that have experience in a regional championship. Not many players can claim that first of all. Second of all, Middlesboro isn't that young this year. They will have about 2 freshman starting, like usual, but will return 7 starters from last years team and 3 starters in the regional runner-up team two years ago. Their coaches are about experienced as it gets, actually, probably the most experienced coaches in the 13th region. This team is far from young, from the players to the coaches.

They may have had an atitude problem last year but you don't think a district runner-up and first round regional bounce is going to humble these guys? I look for Coach Sowders and Coach Powell to excel with this team this year.

Middlesboro is always a contender.

Thats three guys. And by the way they were not in the regional finals in 2005. I agree year in and year out M,boro is right there, but I see the team slipping away from that tradition and hard nose play that Coach Powell built over his 20 some years as head coach. I think that is the reason he is back and I see him back as head coach in a couple of years if not sooner.

Excuse me, I meant 2004, their freshman year.

Clear something up for me, you see them continuing to slip or you saw them slip from their tradition last year??

One down year isn't much room for a slip. I mean they did still have a winning season after trying to replace 9 seniors and the top 3 pitchers on their team. If that wasn't what you meant, and you meant that you think they will keep slipping, don't you think having Coach Powell back on the staff, even if he isn't the head coach, will help that?? They had one down year. That is when you know your program is well thought of, when people starting running for cover after going 14-8 in region play.

Despite what many are thinking, this team won't be slipping at all this season. I'm excited about the Jackets.

Clear something up for me, you see them continuing to slip or you saw them slip from their tradition last year??

One down year isn't much room for a slip. I mean they did still have a winning season after trying to replace 9 seniors and the top 3 pitchers on their team. If that wasn't what you meant, and you meant that you think they will keep slipping, don't you think having Coach Powell back on the staff, even if he isn't the head coach, will help that?? They had one down year. That is when you know your program is well thought of, when people starting running for cover after going 14-8 in region play.

Despite what many are thinking, this team won't be slipping at all this season. I'm excited about the Jackets.

I wonder: Can the Guru start a forum called- Jacket Baseball? :dancingpa

Thats three guys. And by the way they were not in the regional finals in 2005. I agree year in and year out M,boro is right there, but I see the team slipping away from that tradition and hard nose play that Coach Powell built over his 20 some years as head coach. I think that is the reason he is back and I see him back as head coach in a couple of years if not sooner.

I'm going with 13-A on this one. I don't see Middlesboro slipping away,it's just that other teams are doing things to improve instead of sitting back on their thumbs. And as for TOURNAMENT EXPERIENCE in addition to what 13-A had said lets not forget that several of these players represented Kentucky quite well up in Illinois after becoming STATE CHAMPS IN 2004 senior league action.

Yes- Middlesboro did have a winning season last year,but I really believe in my heart, and also what I know about baseball that if it had not been for mother nature intervening in the Florida,and Lexington games (it hurts to say) Middlesboro would have had a losing season.I also believe that will be turned around this coming season for the better.

And as for not being hard nose players I have to use my term BULL BUTTER Earls,Frady,Breeding,Hatmaker, Holbrook if he's playing,and a couple of others go all out when playing. Now- as for being to young of a team no-way Hoskins is the high school equivalent of MLB's Julio Franco he's 23 yrs old. Just kidding I had throw in a little humor to end this. GO JACKETS 2006

Some of you guys from other parts of the state don't realize it, but, in Mboro, baseball season begins when football season ends. We'll take any opportunity we can find to discuss Mboro baseball, even if other schools are showing an unhealthy interest in the orange ball. Very few of our football or baseball players do basketball (Hatmaker & Earls, any more?), so baseball conditioning is the most interesting thing going on right now in the Boro. Please forgive 13th A, Golden Knight, & myself if we seem obsessed.

BTW, Holbrook is coming out, he's just finishing Senior project due before the end of the semester (according to three teammates). Any Seniors besides Holbrook & Emert?

Everybody gets a kick out of reading about Middlesboro baseball. By looking at the post, a person might think they are a powerhouse. They are not!! They are the classic underachievers.

Trust me, middle of the region team.

In this region, it is probably safe to say they are a powerhouse. I mean 4 final four trips in 22 years or so. Several regional championships. Classic underachievers is very harsh. Especially since you probably don't know a single thing about this team.

They have a very tough schedule and they might lose their share, but when it comes to region play and even sectional play, there are very few that are sitting as pretty as they are.

Who is your team by the way?

I can see a slip. I was not impressed with their middle school program last year and that is the future. They had some pretty good kids but they were not what I have seen in the past. They were dominated by Whitley and if I remember correctly Corbin beat them too and they struggled with a very subpar Williamsburg team. So I can see a serious slip in the future.

Coach Powell is a excellant coach but as the assistant can he really impose his will on the team. Will it cause problems with the head coach. That cannot be a good situation when a former coach comes back as an assistant, he will consantly looking over his shoulder.

Certainly MIddlesboro has had some great teams and players, but what have you done for me lately? 22 years? Hey some of the kids playing today can't tell you what a record player is and you expect them to know what happened 22 years ago?

The big dogs in the region this year will be teams on the upswing.....not on the down hill side of the glory.

I can see a slip. I was not impressed with their middle school program last year and that is the future. They had some pretty good kids but they were not what I have seen in the past. They were dominated by Whitley and if I remember correctly Corbin beat them too and they struggled with a very subpar Williamsburg team. So I can see a serious slip in the future.

Coach Powell is a excellant coach but as the assistant can he really impose his will on the team. Will it cause problems with the head coach. That cannot be a good situation when a former coach comes back as an assistant, he will consantly looking over his shoulder.

Certainly MIddlesboro has had some great teams and players, but what have you done for me lately? 22 years? Hey some of the kids playing today can't tell you what a record player is and you expect them to know what happened 22 years ago?

The big dogs in the region this year will be teams on the upswing.....not on the down hill side of the glory.

I thought this was supposed to be about middlesboro baseball!! :mad:

Well Actually its about 13th region baseball, but someone appears to think that Yellow Jacket baseball IS 13th region baseball.

Obviously their are other view points, many of which are that Middlesboro baseball will not be a factor in 13th region baseball.

I see Whitley Co., South Laurel, Corbin and Bell Co, along with an upstart team much like Williamsburg last year being the big dogs of the region.

Well Actually its about 13th region baseball, but someone appears to think that Yellow Jacket baseball IS 13th region baseball.

Obviously their are other view points, many of which are that Middlesboro baseball will not be a factor in 13th region baseball.

I see Whitley Co., South Laurel, Corbin and Bell Co, along with an upstart team much like Williamsburg last year being the big dogs of the region.

You know---- I mentioned these above teams except for Whitley Co on 12-09-05, and if memory serves me correctly Whitley Co,and Middlesboro split wins and losses last year.

I have even put a question out there about the Harlan Co teams. If anyone knows when they may be combined?? As this would definitely strengthen them in the 13th region.

Now as for it being all about Middlesboro-- Whats wrong with us having PRIDE in our team? And if there is another team or coach that has accomplished as much as Coach Bill Powell and Middlesboro well lets talk about them. This man has earned the respect he gets.