Lexington Catholic 69 Dixie Heights 60

I'm surprised Dixie never mixed it up defensively. The way LC was spreading them out and beating them off the dribble, I thought they would've at least tried some zone looks early in the game. I'd like to know how many points LC had in the paint, because it had to have been around 75%.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised Dixie never mixed it up defensively. The way LC was spreading them out and beating them off the dribble, I thought they would've at least tried some zone looks early in the game. I'd like to know how many points LC had in the paint, because it had to have been around 75%.

Sounds like it would have been a great game for Jake Geisler to play in. The way he blocks shots and controls the middle it would have been interesting to see ... and may have picked up that scholarship that he deserves.

In my opinion, the biggest difference in the game was the amount of unforced turnovers by Dixie Heights. When you play Lexington Catholic, you should go ahead and account for a number of turnovers due to their playing style and discipline, and Dixie continually shot themselves in the foot by being careless with the ball time after time. Had they been able to actually run some offense during these possessions, the game would have been much closer.

Also, I'd like to add that, in my opinion, Taylor Martin is an underrated player, even considering the amount of recognition that he gets. He really makes Lex Cath go, and his overall career certainly reflects that.

I'm not..Chevy gets out coached on a consistent basis..

Lex Cath would have sat at Mid Court with the ball untill Dixie came out of any zone(Lex Cath did this in the Region Tourney, killed 1:45 just standing with the ball). This was not an option. There was no OUT COACHING done in this game. Lex cath had a better game. Period.

Here is a nice article on the game by Mike Fields: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/03/17/1673688/sweet-sixteen-seniors-carry-lexington.html#. At the end of the article, Dixie's coach mentions that no one in N. Ky runs the types of press/traps that LexCath does. Seems what LexCath does has been pretty successful. Can someone more knowledgable about the game explain to me why no one in N. Ky does what LexCath does? Does it take a special type of players to do it and no team in N. Ky has that type of players on it?

Sounds like it would have been a great game for Jake Geisler to play in. The way he blocks shots and controls the middle it would have been interesting to see ... and may have picked up that scholarship that he deserves.

Wouldn't have made a difference in this game. They would've spread him out just like they did with Pike and Stansberry.

I'm not..Chevy gets out coached on a consistent basis..

True. I just didn't want to say it. He made no adjustments to stop LC last night. Granted, once LC got the big lead, I don't think a zone would've been very effective as I think they would've just held the ball on offense. They are very patient in their offensive sets.

The LC - CC game Friday should be a good one. CC has the quickness to hang with them.

Here is a nice article on the game by Mike Fields: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/03/17/1673688/sweet-sixteen-seniors-carry-lexington.html#. At the end of the article, Dixie's coach mentions that no one in N. Ky runs the types of press/traps that LexCath does. Seems what LexCath does has been pretty successful. Can someone more knowledgable about the game explain to me why no one in N. Ky does what LexCath does? Does it take a special type of players to do it and no team in N. Ky has that type of players on it?

IMO it's less the type of player than actually teaching it. I think coaches fear that during the learning curve they will give up too many easy baskets. LC has this patented so they've already gone through whatever growing pains there were.

Good question.

Coaches coach and fans second-guess. It's human nature and I'm sure Chev can handle it.

My only issue with his decision was not making an adjustment when Martin was going to town. Martin completely killed any momentum that Dixie was starting to get going.

IMO it's less the type of player than actually teaching it. I think coaches fear that during the learning curve they will give up too many easy baskets. LC has this patented so they've already gone through whatever growing pains there were.

Good question.

And I didn't think their press was that hard to break. Dixie's first 3 passes were the right passes, but then that's where they started to struggle. They were able to get it in, get it back to Trammel, and then immediately to Stansbury in the middle. After that, they struggled. If Stansbury would've turned around and the wings sprint down the sidelines, they would've been more efficient in beating the press IMO.

In my opinion, the biggest difference in the game was the amount of unforced turnovers by Dixie Heights. When you play Lexington Catholic, you should go ahead and account for a number of turnovers due to their playing style and discipline, and Dixie continually shot themselves in the foot by being careless with the ball time after time. Had they been able to actually run some offense during these possessions, the game would have been much closer.

Also, I'd like to add that, in my opinion, Taylor Martin is an underrated player, even considering the amount of recognition that he gets. He really makes Lex Cath go, and his overall career certainly reflects that.

I thought Martin was the best player on the court last night.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm sure Dixie would love to have a mulligan and play this one again having been through the experience and having a better feel on the court for what was going on.

Maybe they should've attacked the basket more off of the press...they seemed to do that well during the season but were tentative in this one.

I thought LexCath's quickness and experience really showed in this one. The Martin kid has close to point guard quickness with the ball and Schuette just lit it up in the second half everytime Dixie tried to make a run.

I see LexCath advancing next round...very very solid team.

The Colonels had a great season (29-4) and hopefully this experience will help them become better next year returning 8 of their top 10 players.

That's just NKY basketball and the way it always has been. They usually walk the ball up the court and run a half court set. Play man to man and very seldom press. Very unimaginative basketball. That's why when teams from NKY go to Louisville or Central KY, they usually get beat. They need to change with the times, if they don't, they will continue to get beat when they leave the "safe place" they call NKY. Holmes has been the only exception recently because they had the athletes with well above average basketball skills.

Just look at some of the final scores in the past and recent regional tournaments, scoring in the 20"s, 30's & 40's. You don't see scores that low anywhere else in the state.

Playing the trapping defenses and press defenses and being effective ususally takes years of practice and the lower level (ie middle school) teams run the same system as the high school. From what I've seen NKY, very few high school coaches are involved with pre high school programs.

Dixie's defense equates to "steal the ball" or attempt to steal the ball. LC took it straight to the basket all night. Only on one occasion did a Dixie player attempt to stand in and take a charge - he was rewarded with a no call.

I felt that Dixie was WAAAYYYY too impatient on offense. No shot clock required. First good look and up it went, playing right into LC's plan of getting as many possessions as possible and converting on many of them. Too much 1-1-1-1-1 offense!

I felt that while Dixie had some superior athletes (and am very impressed with Hatton) LexCath by far had the better team.

I think LC will give Christian County all they want.

That's just NKY basketball and the way it always has been. They usually walk the ball up the court and run a half court set. Play man to man and very seldom press. Very unimaginative basketball. That's why when teams from NKY go to Louisville or Central KY, they usually get beat. They need to change with the times, if they don't, they will continue to get beat when they leave the "safe place" they call NKY. Holmes has been the only exception recently because they had the athletes with well above average basketball skills.

Just look at some of the final scores in the past and recent regional tournaments, scoring in the 20"s, 30's & 40's. You don't see scores that low anywhere else in the state.

Playing the trapping defenses and press defenses and being effective ususally takes years of practice and the lower level (ie middle school) teams run the same system as the high school. From what I've seen NKY, very few high school coaches are involved with pre high school programs.

One of the more successful N Ky teams over the past few years has been Scott HS and they do play a pressing trapping style of ball with a very aggressive half court man. I think Carr does a great job teaching this system and like LexCath it is part of the "program". Coach Carr's teams can be very disruptive on defense and force teams to play at a tempo that they are not comfortable with.