Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

More on NKU to D 1 and the Horizon League

Featured Replies

Baseball would seem to be ready for the move up as well.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be extremely difficult to draw a large fan base outside of the students.

What is the enrollment at NKU? How many live on campus? Will the Norse get squeezed out of the public's consciousness with three D1 schools in the area? If they go D1, I agree that the Horizon makes more sense than the OVC.

What is the enrollment at NKU? How many live on campus? Will the Norse get squeezed out of the public's consciousness with three D1 schools in the area? If they go D1, I agree that the Horizon makes more sense than the OVC.

 

Enrollment for the start of the fall semester is speculated to top over 16,000 for the first time. Currently NKU has a little under that. NKU only accomodates 1,850 students to live on campus, but that doesn't include the numerous surrounding apartment complexes (some within walking distance).

 

Being an alumnus member, as well as a currently employee of the University, I have very mixed feelings about them making the jump to D-1.

I didn't realize you could only move up certain sports. I would love to see it happen. I thought it was cost prohibitive though? Not sure the feasibility studies gave them the return on the investment for making the jump?

Not sure why everyone thinks it would increase attendance. They don't get a huge following and have a decent team every year. The first few years they would take their lumps, not sure fans would want to see that?

Breaking News on Channel 12 that NKU will go D1.

 

 

Said on the news either OVC or Horizon.

 

Everyone needs to slow down and hold their horses (more specifically the media does I guess). That was not what was said. I was at the Convocation where President Votruba was speaking and was posed the question about D-1. He said, and I paraphrase, "I am going to recommend to the Board of Regents that we make the move to D-1 for institutional and branding purposes, not simply because of Athletics. I see ourselves in either the Horizon League (a non-football conference) or the OVC."

 

While this is a postive step in the right direction. It still has to get approval from the Board of Regents, so to say at this moment that NKU will be going Division 1 is currently incorrect until that approval happens and is announces. Just wanted to clarify that for everyone.

Soccer teams would fit right in as well.

 

Soccer team may be in a better position than basketball to make the jump.

Everyone needs to slow down and hold their horses (more specifically the media does I guess). That was not what was said. I was at the Convocation where President Votruba was speaking and was posed the question about D-1. He said, and I paraphrase, "I am going to recommend to the Board of Regents that we make the move to D-1 for institutional and branding purposes, not simply because of Athletics. I see ourselves in either the Horizon League (a non-football conference) or the OVC."

 

While this is a postive step in the right direction. It still has to get approval from the Board of Regents, so to say at this moment that NKU will be going Division 1 is currently incorrect until that approval happens and is announces. Just wanted to clarify that for everyone.

 

And they have to be invited by the OVC or Horizon. Perhaps those invitations have already been extended, but you don't just call the conference and say we're stopping by. By the way, if NKU does join there is a transition period required by the NCAA and you are ineligible for postseason events for five years. So success may eventually come to the Norse, but it's unrealistic to expect much for the first decade. Are the people in and around NKU willing to wait that long?

And they have to be invited by the OVC or Horizon. Perhaps those invitations have already been extended, but you don't just call the conference and say we're stopping by. By the way, if NKU does join there is a transition period required by the NCAA and you are ineligible for postseason events for five years. So success may eventually come to the Norse, but it's unrealistic to expect much for the first decade. Are the people in and around NKU willing to wait that long?

 

I know for a fact the OVC is looking to add another school that has football. No idea if an offer has been extended though.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.