Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

More on NKU to D 1 and the Horizon League

Featured Replies

That's not true in any way, shape, or form.

 

That's not true in any way, shape, or form.

 

I didn't want to turn this into an argument, but I'm with you UKMF.

 

I'm not looking for an argument either - honestly. My statement may not be true in either of your fields, but it is certainly the case in mine (construction/architecture/engineering).

 

I have personally worked for three construction companies. In two of the three job interviews, I have been told by the interviewer that they felt that NKU's program was weak. Trust me, as an NKU graduate, that will leave you with a heckuva bad feeling in your stomach as you walk out of an interview. One of the two interviewers even said that he had been an adjunct at NKU for two years, and that he quit because he felt that they didn't teach the information needed for the degrees, and they refused to listen to his suggestions for the program.

 

I also have two brothers, a sister-in-law, and three friends who are all architects. They all speak critically of NKU grads as compared to professionals who have graduated from other universities.

 

Additionally, I spent my first two years of college as a computer science major at NKU. I still have a couple of good friends from my time in the program, and both of them find a fair amount of fault with their degrees. One of them actually went so far as to take additional classes at UC because "NKU left him unprepared" (his words, not mine). The other friend would tell you similar stories of feeling rather behind things as he entered into the industry.

 

I can't speak for all graduates of NKU as a whole, obviously, but what dealings I do know first hand, and at the word of friends, NKU's programs aren't particularly well respected.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll have to tell that to my 5 friends that all went to NKU and work at P&G.

 

That may have been true before, but any more companies will hire the most qualified candidates regardless of where the got their education.

 

And what positions do they hold? Any at the executive level? My company recruits on campuses of top colleges, trust me they have never visited NKU. There are exceptions, there are people who beat the odds. All candidates equal, NKU grads will not get the nod over an more highly recognized college. FYI, I am a proud grad of NKU. I got my job because of who I knew and the work ethic and experience I had, not my education.

WOW! I accidently went to the wrong forum, thought this was College Basketball

Good point, it did get semi high jacked, but it goes back to the issue that it will be a great step for the University to go D1 in basketball.

The team will take their lumps for a few years, but it will help the team in the long run, along with the community and the students also reaping long term benefits.

The OVC is looking for another team, period. Football would be nice, but it isn't required.

 

Considering the teams they're looking to add right now have football teams, I'd say it's a good bet they really want a football school.

 

You can continue to disagree if you wish, but I'm well informed on the issue.

Considering the teams they're looking to add right now have football teams, I'd say it's a good bet they really want a football school.

 

You can continue to disagree if you wish, but I'm well informed on the issue.

So am I ... and as the addition of SIU-Edwardsville shows, football isn't a requirement.

 

Which schools are they seeking to add? They missed out on Chattanooga, if that was really ever a possibility, and the only other potential ones are schools like North Alabama that would have to move up from Division II.

So am I ... and as the addition of SIU-Edwardsville shows, football isn't a requirement.

 

Which schools are they seeking to add? They missed out on Chattanooga, if that was really ever a possibility, and the only other potential ones are schools like North Alabama that would have to move up from Division II.

 

Football may not have been a requirement when SIU-E was added. But in all likelihood, it will be this time around. They're trying to get 12 basketball playing schools and 10 football playing schools. Right now they're at 11 and 9 respectively. You do the math...

 

I've heard North Alabama and NKU as the most likely choices.

WOW! I accidently went to the wrong forum, thought this was College Basketball

 

Good point. Sorry if I steered off course.

This would be sweet...I believe the attendence will increase drastically with a move to D1...I know the student section would be full for all home games...Butler would be a huge game every year...I also believe NKU would become a recruiting power in the Horizon feeding off of the kids that UC and X pass on...

Just curious, but who other than Butler do you think the area will get all that excited about going out to see?

Don't forget prices for tickrts will have to increase to support the move. I don't want to be negative but I don't see that many more people attending.

Football may not have been a requirement when SIU-E was added. But in all likelihood, it will be this time around. They're trying to get 12 basketball playing schools and 10 football playing schools. Right now they're at 11 and 9 respectively. You do the math...

 

I've heard North Alabama and NKU as the most likely choices.

Well, gee, maybe you weren't any more informed than me. The thing is, North Alabama has to make the move, but they've been on that fence for a while.

 

And if football is likely to be a requirement, then why is Northern Kentucky a possibiliity? Bottom line ... the OVC wants to get to 12 teams, and it's likely they will take the first good option they have.

Don't forget prices for tickrts will have to increase to support the move. I don't want to be negative but I don't see that many more people attending.

 

I don't think the attendance will increase drastically, but I'd imagine that it will go up some. Granted we are in the "College Basketball" forum, but this thread affects much more than just basketball. And, I'm not President Votruba, but knowing him I think he'd say this move is only 25% or less for Athletics.

I don't think the attendance will increase drastically, but I'd imagine that it will go up some. Granted we are in the "College Basketball" forum, but this thread affects much more than just basketball. And, I'm not President Votruba, but knowing him I think he'd say this move is only 25% or less for Athletics.

Don't disagree with this, but whwere is the money for this move coming from?

Don't disagree with this, but whwere is the money for this move coming from?

 

I'm honestly not sure, but in speaking with someone from the President's Office just yesterday she said that the money would not be coming through a hike in tuition.

 

However, in saying that, I'm sure tuition will go up again at NKU this year, but you can place blame on the state government for that, not NKU.

I'm honestly not sure, but in speaking with someone from the President's Office just yesterday she said that the money would not be coming through a hike in tuition.

 

However, in saying that, I'm sure tuition will go up again at NKU this year, but you can place blame on the state government for that, not NKU.

 

President was quoted as saying there are some savings the school has realized and they have a consultant telling them that there are millions more in savings.

President was quoted as saying there are some savings the school has realized and they have a consultant telling them that there are millions more in savings.

 

He's talking about the Huron consultants they brought in.

 

Either way tuition I'm sure will still raise for the upcoming year. It won't be because of the move to D-1, but I'm sure many will blame it on that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.