Current MLB players that will make the Hall of Fame.

armsrace

A couple things to consider....

Thome, along with Griffey, is widely considered one of the more definite "clean" power hitters from their era. That will go a long way with the committee.

Even more importantly, Thome is considered one of the "good guys" of the game, that everyone universially loves. The impact of that with the writers can't be overstated.

Thome is a no-doubt HOF'er, and most likely a 1st ballot one at that.

I just don't see a guy who doesn't play defense being a 1st ballot HOF'er. Is Frank Thomas a first ballot HOF'er? He is the player most similar to Thome.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see a guy who doesn't play defense being a 1st ballot HOF'er. Is Frank Thomas a first ballot HOF'er? He is the player most similar to Thome.

Huh? Thome has played 2/3 of his career games in the field....He only started DH'ing the last 3-4 seasons. I think Frank Thomas is a HOF'er, and an arguement could be made for 1st ballot.

A couple things to consider....

Thome, along with Griffey, is widely considered one of the more definite "clean" power hitters from their era. That will go a long way with the committee.

Even more importantly, Thome is considered one of the "good guys" of the game, that everyone universially loves. The impact of that with the writers can't be overstated.

Thome is a no-doubt HOF'er, and most likely a 1st ballot one at that.

If Jim Thome is a first ballot hall of famer then I have lost all faith in already flawed system. To me first ballot guys are no brainers. Ruth, Aaron, Mays, Jordan, Magic, Gretzky, Montana, etc. Elite of the elite. Jim Thome is not that nor anywhere near that. Again, if you have to sit around and try to make an argument for a guy, they are not first ballot worthy, imo.

If Jim Thome is a first ballot hall of famer then I have lost all faith in already flawed system. To me first ballot guys are no brainers. Ruth, Aaron, Mays, Jordan, Magic, Gretzky, Montana, etc. Elite of the elite. Jim Thome is not that nor anywhere near that. Again, if you have to sit around and try to make an argument for a guy, they are not first ballot worthy, imo.

So to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, you have no issue with Thome being in the HOF, just as a first balloter?

So to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, you have no issue with Thome being in the HOF, just as a first balloter?

1st ballot: Not a chance

In the HOF on down the road: I am willing to hear an argument, but for a guy that has never finished higher than 4th in the MVP race, never won a WS, poor batting average in the playoffs, 5 all star appearances, etc. it is going to take some serious convincing for me. But in fairness, my standards of making the Hall of Fame are more stringent than most.

Huh? Thome has played 2/3 of his career games in the field....He only started DH'ing the last 3-4 seasons. I think Frank Thomas is a HOF'er, and an arguement could be made for 1st ballot.

It is actually more like 3/4 of his games in the field and he was terrible defensively. He hasn't played defense since 2005. In those five years he has hit over 150 HR's. So when he stopped playing defense, he was sitting at about 430 HR's. If his career ended then, he isn't even in the Hall. He would have worse numbers than Jeff Bagwell and we just saw how Bagwell did on his first ballot. Personally, I think Thome gets in the Hall but he definitely is not a first ballot HOF'er.

It is actually more like 3/4 of his games in the field and he was terrible defensively. He hasn't played defense since 2005. In those five years he has hit over 150 HR's. So when he stopped playing defense, he was sitting at about 430 HR's. If his career ended then, he isn't even in the Hall. He would have worse numbers than Jeff Bagwell and we just saw how Bagwell did on his first ballot. Personally, I think Thome gets in the Hall but he definitely is not a first ballot HOF'er.

So what changes from that first year to the next? Does he keep accumulating stats?

And for the record, I immediately think HOF'er when I think of Thome. No argument is necessary IMO.

So what changes from that first year to the next? Does he keep accumulating stats?

And for the record, I immediately think HOF'er when I think of Thome. No argument is necessary IMO.

I would vote for him first ballot. I am like you. Either you have the numbers or you don't. I am saying the MLB writers will not elect him on the first ballot.

I would vote for him first ballot. I am like you. Either you have the numbers or you don't. I am saying the MLB writers will not elect him on the first ballot.

I may agree in most instances, but I don't think one can overlook how well-liked and well respected Thome is amongst the voters. I think that plays a huge role in the voting process, whether it's right or wrong.

I may agree in most instances, but I don't think one can overlook how well-liked and well respected Thome is amongst the voters. I think that plays a huge role in the voting process, whether it's right or wrong.

I think it more so works conversely. Meaning, if you are disliked, the writers are more likely to hold it against you.