Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryle 61 Covington Catholic 7

Featured Replies

I find it interesting that quite a few of the posters are saying that Cov Cath played terribly, how dissappointed you were in their performance or you thought that they would have been further along in their rebuilding process by now. The same people were saying, before the game, how competive the Colonels were going to be in this match up.

 

Most of the pre-game offerings from posters I recognize as Cov. Cath. fans were not predicting a strong Colonel showing. The observations tended to suggest Cov. Cath. would have a great deal of early season difficulty but might fare better a bit later in the season. While I do not think we were anticipating a 54 point loss, a 3-4 TD loss was not a surprise.

Edited by Birdsfan

  • Replies 87
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the pre-game offerings from posters I recognize as Cov. Cath. fans were not predicting a strong Colonel showing. The observations tended to suggest Cov. Cath. would have a great deal of early season difficulty but might fare better a bit later in the season. While I do not think we were anticipating a 54 point loss, a 3-4 TD loss was not a surprise.

 

You are spot on. I said that for CovCath to do well they were going to have to a) tackle and b) establish the run. They did neither and lost. To me the biggest suprise was the lack of a passing game by CovCath. Looking at the Cooper scrimmage I would have expected them to be able to throw deeper against Ryle.

 

Oh, and Ryle deserves credit. They do have a good team. Anyone at the game saw the power of their rushing offense. We didn't get to see too much of their defense nor passing offense (They didn't need either in Firday's beat down.)

Most of the pre-game offerings from posters I recognize as Cov. Cath. fans were not predicting a strong Colonel showing. The observations tended to suggest Cov. Cath. would have a great deal of early season difficulty but might fare better a bit later in the season. While I do not think we were anticipating a 54 point loss, a 3-4 TD loss was not a surprise.

 

You are spot on. I said that for CovCath to do well they were going to have to a) tackle and b) establish the run. They did neither and lost. To me the biggest suprise was the lack of a passing game by CovCath. Looking at the Cooper scrimmage I would have expected them to be able to throw deeper against Ryle.

 

Oh, and Ryle deserves credit. They do have a good team. Anyone at the game saw the power of their rushing offense. We didn't get to see too much of their defense nor passing offense (They didn't need either in Friday's beat down.)

 

Yep. It's never easy to swallow down a loss, much less one as lopsided as this, but a loss is a loss, and for better or worse, it was expected by many of those who know Cov Cath. The question is, how capable will the team be at learning some lessons from the paddling they were given on Friday and applying them to some better showings. I think the first half showed that they have some of what it takes to compete, but as many people have pointed out, an offense that doesn't produce and a defense that's left to play 95% of the game time always spells disaster.

 

Kudos to Ryle. They were quite impressive.

I failed to mention my guy Travis Connor.

 

I'm on record as saying he's the top open-field tackler in NKY despite his 140 pounds.

 

That was evident on a play Friday night with Travis Elliott. Elliott broke over the right side (untouched) and appeared on his way to another long TD run. All the was in the way was Connor. Before you could say "he's going all the way" Mr. Elliott was on the ground. Don't think he came from the side and dove at his feet either. He met him straight on. It was about as fast as you'll see a stud back like Elliott go down. Connor just surprises folks at how fast he gets to your legs and ankles. It was very impressive.

I failed to mention my guy Travis Connor.

 

I'm on record as saying he's the top open-field tackler in NKY despite his 140 pounds.

 

That was evident on a play Friday night with Travis Elliott. Elliott broke over the right side (untouched) and appeared on his way to another long TD run. All the was in the way was Connor. Before you could say "he's going all the way" Mr. Elliott was on the ground. Don't think he came from the side and dove at his feet either. He met him straight on. It was about as fast as you'll see a stud back like Elliott go down. Connor just surprises folks at how fast he gets to your legs and ankles. It was very impressive.

 

I remember this play and mentioned to the guy next to me that Connor is not flashy but does get the job done. But I do think he has bulked up some this year, he has to go 142-143 lbs now!

I failed to mention my guy Travis Connor.

 

I'm on record as saying he's the top open-field tackler in NKY despite his 140 pounds.

 

That was evident on a play Friday night with Travis Elliott. Elliott broke over the right side (untouched) and appeared on his way to another long TD run. All the was in the way was Connor. Before you could say "he's going all the way" Mr. Elliott was on the ground. Don't think he came from the side and dove at his feet either. He met him straight on. It was about as fast as you'll see a stud back like Elliott go down. Connor just surprises folks at how fast he gets to your legs and ankles. It was very impressive.

 

Count me a member of the Travis Connor fan club. He never gets too excited and is intimidated by no one. He, RItter, and Cosby make a very nice trio back there.

A quote from Clyde about the 2009 CovCath vs Ryle game.

Click here to read the Thread!

 

Ryle 34 Covington Catholic 14

 

 

 

Close late in the third and then got ugly.

 

429 yards rushing for Ryle. 27/238 for Elliott. 9 carries over 100 yards for Eubank.

 

A couple of TDs nullified by penalty against CCH.

 

Good to see Paul Ritter get a KO return for TD against his buddies. 6 returns for 232 yards and a TD.

 

Sorry, you are wrong. Watch the tape. If you were not on the field don't believe everything you read. Sometimes people get excited on here and don't quote all the facts as they actually happened. Ritter did have a lot of yards on KO returns though.

Have seen all the young men play last year and some already this year and IMO the Ryle QB is the best overall QB in NKy. Understand I am far from a Ryle fan but Hemple impressed me a ton tonight!

 

Hempel is certainly up there with the best QBs in N.Ky this year. Looking forward to seeing the young man play this year.

Hempel ran the ball well but his passing was not very good and I am being kind. That was not a D1 performance at qb because you will not run power from the gun in college.

 

You might want to tell all the D1 schools that are running power from the gun that they are doing it wrong. I have no clue about the kid but you do and will see teams run power from the gun.

Many teams run power out of the shotgun. The Florida Gators made a living off of running that play with the backs and Mr. Tebow.

You might want to tell all the D1 schools that are running power from the gun that they are doing it wrong. I have no clue about the kid but you do and will see teams run power from the gun.

 

Many teams run power out of the shotgun. The Florida Gators made a living off of running that play with the backs and Mr. Tebow.

 

 

I can only think of one team and that is Florida and that was with Tebow. They will not be running it this year.

 

If there are others let me know because I would love to watch them on film.

Not all of them run it with their QBs or their full time QBs but teams do run power (blocking scheme) up front. I know Oregan, Nevada, and Middle Ten State all run it with the their QBs or have in the past few years.

I haven't heard that. If so they were not contributors.

 

 

I know nothing about this but I did not see a couple key players on last year's freshman team like the Pauley kid on the roster. I also didn't see the Schatzman kid who I believe would be a senior this year. I have no idea though.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.