Rules question

Tonight while watching a scrimmage a play came up that I have a question about. On the play a running back broke into the open field and tried to stiff arm a tackler. He ended up really getting his hand caught up in the defender's facemask, this caused the defender to reach out and grab the ball carrier's facemask. The call was offsetting facemask penalties and the ball was spotted at where the play ended. Was that the correct spot?

Tonight while watching a scrimmage a play came up that I have a question about. On the play a running back broke into the open field and tried to stiff arm a tackler. He ended up really getting his hand caught up in the defender's facemask, this caused the defender to reach out and grab the ball carrier's facemask. The call was offsetting facemask penalties and the ball was spotted at where the play ended. Was that the correct spot?

IMHO -- ( I assume from your question that both were "live ball fouls" - there would be a different result if one was live and one was dead ball foul) should the penalties offset - then the play is replayed and the ball is goes back to the previous spot.

They were both live ball fouls.

Then I would go with my answer...that down is replayed from the previous spot. The penalties offset. [** If the penalties offset and the down is replayed - then why would would the O be "rewarded" by giving them the yardage gained ?????Just MHO.

I am sure that folks with alot better rules knowlege than I will correct If I am in error.

Sorry guys, in our registration packets this season, officials have been advised that it is unprofessional to comment or give opinion, even field questions, on rules questions and have been asked to refer all questions to the KHSAA or local authority. Thus, you should not see officials in all sports engaged in any conversation (right, wrong or in between) on these or other forums. In fact, this will have to be my last one, too.

My only hope is that other people related to the KHSAA (board members, for example) might exercise the same sense of professionalism.

Have a great season.

Wow, you'd think the KHSAA would like for officials to be able to explain the rules to the fans so that there would be less confusion when these situations come up. In this case my team wasn't even playing, I was just watching a couple of future opponents and thought the call was strange. I've since found out why they spotted the ball like they did.

Sorry guys, in our registration packets this season, officials have been advised that it is unprofessional to comment or give opinion, even field questions, on rules questions and have been asked to refer all questions to the KHSAA or local authority. Thus, you should not see officials in all sports engaged in any conversation (right, wrong or in between) on these or other forums. In fact, this will have to be my last one, too.

My only hope is that other people related to the KHSAA (board members, for example) might exercise the same sense of professionalism.

Have a great season.

FB

Can you enlighten us a bit. Did that directive come from the KHSAA or your local Association? Thanks in advance for your response.