Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rookie Dez Bryant refuses to carry other players pads.

Featured Replies

Because it's expected.

 

It's expected that he will block for a RB when the opportunity arises.

 

It's expected that he will hang onto the ball when he takes a hit.

 

And it's expected that he will carry the pads of a veteran.

 

When you're on a team, you do what's expected.

 

I guess that kinda makes sense since Roy won't be seeing the field this year, he'll be expected to provide Bryant with water and gatorade on the sidelines. :D

 

In all seriousness, I would carry the pads, because it's not a big deal, but I don't think Bryant did anything wrong by refusing.

  • Replies 150
  • Views 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, but how is it for the betterment of the team that Bryant carry the pads? What, other than the garbage "tradition" reasoning, benefit does it provide?

 

It is called tradition, and it is harmless. This has become a big deal, because the vast majority now know Bryant is as self centered as advertised. In the most brutal league in the world, I think that is a horrible idea. Do it, have fun with it, build some unity on the team, and move on. We did it at Trinity, at WKU, and it went without a hiccup.

I guess that kinda makes sense since Roy won't be seeing the field this year, he'll be expected to provide Bryant with water and gatorade on the sidelines. :D

 

In all seriousness, I would carry the pads, because it's not a big deal, but I don't think Bryant did anything wrong by refusing.

 

Keep in mind, Roy had the same hype Bryant had coming out. It's worked out quite well, huh?

Keep in mind, Roy had the same hype Bryant had coming out. It's worked out quite well, huh?

 

Disagree, Bryant was/is much more physically and athletically talented than Roy.

Disagree, Bryant was/is much more physically and athletically talented than Roy.

I don't know about all of that. Williams was quite impressive in college and a high draft pick for a reason. He was ever bit the talent of Bryant coming out of college. I do feel like Bryant will have a better career though.

The statement Bryant made about "winning championships" shows just how immature he is. He thinks that what he's supposed to say and he will be unassailable if he sticks to that. But it is painfully obvious he doesn't understand that at least half of winning is about chemistry and relationships. By refusing to carry the pads, he's actually hurting his cause for winning championships by creating divides within the team.

Because it's expected.

 

It's expected that he will block for a RB when the opportunity arises.

 

It's expected that he will hang onto the ball when he takes a hit.

 

And it's expected that he will carry the pads of a veteran.

 

When you're on a team, you do what's expected.

Perfect post, excellent.....

I am just indifferent about the whole thing.

 

The whole hazing system is somewhat outdated and silly. On the other hand, there are just some things in life you just accept and do. If I were to guess, Williams was probably picking at Bryant because he feels threatened. I would be interested to know would he have packed another player's pads on the team? Marion Barber III, DeMarcus Ware, Tony Romo?

I don't know about all of that. Williams was quite impressive in college and a high draft pick for a reason. He was ever bit the talent of Bryant coming out of college. I do feel like Bryant will have a better career though.

 

It's easy to rip Roy Williams now that we've seen him for several years, but he was every bit the prospect Dez Bryant is.

 

Williams was the second WR picked (#7 overall) in a deep and talented WR class in 2004.

 

Fitzgerald (3), Williams (7), Reggie Williams (9), Lee Evans (13), Michael Clayton (15), Michael Jenkins (29) and Rashaun Woods (31)

 

I wouldn't say this year's WR draft was considered strong. Bryant was the second of two first rounders and #24 overall.

 

To take it a step further, check out the pre-draft workout numbers...

 

In '04, Williams measured 6'3, 212 pounds...Bryant is 6'2, 224 pounds.

 

Roy's 40 times ranged from 4.36 to 4.42 compared to 4.52 for Bryant. Williams also had better times in the 20-yard shuttle and 3-cone drill, an inch and a half higher vertical jump, and for good measure, scored one point higher on the Wonderlic test.

 

I think it's revisionist history to say Bryant is a better prospect.

 

However, the results of that "deep and talented" 2004 class should tell you how little all the workouts and hype actually tell us about who will succeed.

My guess is sometime during training camp a safety will see Bryant coming across the middle and give Dez a little lesson in how to pick up pads. They may be his own... along with the stars he may be seeing.

My guess is sometime during training camp a safety will see Bryant coming across the middle and give Dez a little lesson in how to pick up pads. They may be his own... along with the stars he may be seeing.
And that is EXACTLY how it should be handled.

Oh, my, this is my favorite post in the thread.

 

MJAlltheWay24

user-offline.png

All BluegrassPreps.com image.php?u=8977&dateline=1212684258Join Date Oct 2003 Location Back in NKY Posts 25,910 im_aim.gif

 

icon1.gif

quote_icon.png

Originally Posted by
mcpapa
viewpost-right.png

So, can we no longer say, "Hey Rook?" for fear of making someone feel inferior?

 

Geez, political correctness hits a new standard
.

 

 

 

Just telling you what it is defined as in the Higher Education world. Do I completely agree with it? No, but I don't think there should be a double standard.

Come on papa, you know, the higher education definition.

Man, it's not like they were doing weird stuff to him in the lockeroom like blindfolded sit ups. He should have just done it. Who cares. Next year someone would be carrying his. BTW, when I was a freshman in highschool the seniors used to make me carry ALL of their pads and tackling dummys out to the feild. I did it 1) because they were bigger than me and 2) because its just what you do to freshmen and I understood that. I know HS football doesn't compare to the NFL, but you can see the parallel. Veterans make rookies do things for them. Big woop.

Because it's expected.

 

It's expected that he will block for a RB when the opportunity arises.

 

It's expected that he will hang onto the ball when he takes a hit.

 

And it's expected that he will carry the pads of a veteran.

 

When you're on a team, you do what's expected.

 

Blocking for a RB helps you win games.

 

Hanging onto the ball helps you win games.

 

Carrying a vetern pads doesn't help to win games in anyway.

I would be interested to know would he have packed another player's pads on the team? Marion Barber III, DeMarcus Ware, Tony Romo?

 

A good question. Another would be what if Ndamukong Suh refused to carry someone's pad? I'm sure I know what most on here would say, but I bet we wouldn't have even heard about it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.