July 26, 201016 yr Any new guys working any job usually start out getting shafted in their duties. They work their way up the totum pole. Roy went through it so should he. They may get shafted in their duties, but their duties will still be beneficial to their organization. I don't care if Roy went through it, it was wrong then and wrong now. Dez Bryant is more of a man for standing up for himself, IMO, than Roy Williams is for following a pointless tradition.
July 26, 201016 yr Hazing, no matter the action, is typically defined as the act of making someone feel inferior than another. Granted there are many different froms (physical, psychological, and etc.) The same question I would have for fraternity members that haze their pledges, "How is this going to make them a better active member?". For Roy Williams, "How does this make him a better teammate?" At the end of the day, it isn't right and like I said, good for Dez Bryant for refusing. Maybe some others with follow him and take a stand, ending this pointless tradition. It's a way of showing respect to the guys that have been there. It's a way to earn your respect from the team. My senior year of baseball all of the new sophomores on varsity took in the equipment balls bats etc. after practice no questions asked. The ones who didn't earned no respect from the older guys. The ones that did earned their stripes and were brought into sort of a circle of trust. It's more than just doing chores for others.
July 26, 201016 yr Hazing, no matter the action, is typically defined as the act of making someone feel inferior than another. Granted there are many different froms (physical, psychological, and etc.) The same question I would have for fraternity members that haze their pledges, "How is this going to make them a better active member?". For Roy Williams, "How does this make him a better teammate?" At the end of the day, it isn't right and like I said, good for Dez Bryant for refusing. Maybe some others with follow him and take a stand, ending this pointless tradition. So, can we no longer say, "Hey Rook?" for fear of making someone feel inferior? Geez, political correctness hits a new standard.
July 26, 201016 yr Author Rookie hazing is usually to show that they are not better than anyone on the team and it keeps their egos in check. If he can't take this then I think it reflects on his personality. You better believe if Parcells was still there and told him to get him a cup of water (what he made all rookies do) then Dez would have done it or would have been riding the pine.
July 26, 201016 yr I know that I'll be in the minority in this, and I'm okay with that. But if the smallest of things can be deemed hazing for a Fraternity, then I believe the same should be true for athletic teams. Blue Magic has pointed out some unfortunate things that have happend throughout time in fraternities, but there are also some really small things that have gotten blown up as hazing issues and I just think it should hold true in other aspects as well.
July 26, 201016 yr So, can we no longer say, "Hey Rook?" for fear of making someone feel inferior? Geez, political correctness hits a new standard. Just telling you what it is defined as in the Higher Education world. Do I completely agree with it? No, but I don't think there should be a double standard.
July 26, 201016 yr Rookie hazing is usually to show that they are not better than anyone on the team and it keeps their egos in check. If he can't take this then I think it reflects on his personality. You better believe if Parcells was still there and told him to get him a cup of water (what he made all rookies do) then Dez would have done it or would have been riding the pine. This is going to sound weird and I'm sure someone will jump all over it to point out a contradiction in my statements. But Bill Parcells is Dez Bryants superior...Roy Williams is not. But at the end of the day, Bill Parcells have people who are paid on the staff to get him water, so yeah I'd say he doesn't need to do that either.
July 26, 201016 yr Rookie hazing is usually to show that they are not better than anyone on the team and it keeps their egos in check. If he can't take this then I think it reflects on his personality. You better believe if Parcells was still there and told him to get him a cup of water (what he made all rookies do) then Dez would have done it or would have been riding the pine. And I'm sure if Wade Phillips had asked him to do something, he'd do it. Phillips is his superior, not his equal or lesser, as Williams is. So why is hazing okay in football because it's tradition, but it's not okay for Greek life? What if the fraternity has a tradition of making all the pledges shotgun beers after doing a keg stand? People would be in an uproar, but no harm is done by it.
July 26, 201016 yr I know that I'll be in the minority in this, and I'm okay with that. But if the smallest of things can be deemed hazing for a Fraternity, then I believe the same should be true for athletic teams. Blue Magic has pointed out some unfortunate things that have happend throughout time in fraternities, but there are also some really small things that have gotten blown up as hazing issues and I just think it should hold true in other aspects as well. Look at the big picture here. He's bringing in a set of shoulder pads into a locket room where he's headed anyways. It's not a big deal. Some people are sensitive and don't understand new guys need to earn their stripes.
July 26, 201016 yr Look at the big picture here. He's bringing in a set of shoulder pads into a locket room where he's headed anyways. It's not a big deal. Some people are sensitive and don't understand new guys need to earn their stripes. I just believe that he needs to earn his stripes on the field, not by being someone's servant. To me there is a big difference between, "Carry my pads, because you're a rookie, and I need to put you in your place" vs. "Hey, would you mind grabbing my pads".
July 26, 201016 yr Again, if hazing in fraternities was simply picking something up for an active member no one would ever hear about fraternity hazing. Unfortunately it's usually more than that. Apples and oranges.
July 26, 201016 yr I just believe that he needs to earn his stripes on the field, not by being someone's servant. To me there is a big difference between, "Carry my pads, because you're a rookie, and I need to put you in your place" vs. "Hey, would you mind grabbing my pads". It's earning your stripes as a teammate rather than earning your stripes as a player. Like someone said it's keeping egos in check.
July 26, 201016 yr Author Here is the definition according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary. Hazing: : the action of hazing; especially : an initiation process involving harassment Pretty sure feeling inferior and harassment are two separate things.
July 26, 201016 yr Again, if hazing in fraternities was simply picking something up for an active member no one would ever hear about fraternity hazing. Unfortunately it's usually more than that. Apples and oranges. I compeltely agree with you. No one would hear about it in the news, because it wouldnt' be a good story. But that doesnt' mean that fraternities across the country are not getting in trouble for honestly some of the dumbest things. Dumb as carrying an active members books (I would call that the equivolent of carrying pads). Fraternities have brought it all on themselves over the years, but Greek Life and Academic Standard Offices across the country have taken how strict they are in regards to hazing to a whole new level.
July 26, 201016 yr Here is the definition according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary. Hazing: : the action of hazing; especially : an initiation process involving harassment Pretty sure feeling inferior and harassment are two separate things. I'd call making someone carry your pads because your the new guy is harrassment. He can't help that he's the new guy...he just is.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.