July 26, 201016 yr Author And I'm sure if Wade Phillips had asked him to do something, he'd do it. Phillips is his superior, not his equal or lesser, as Williams is. So why is hazing okay in football because it's tradition, but it's not okay for Greek life? What if the fraternity has a tradition of making all the pledges shotgun beers after doing a keg stand? People would be in an uproar, but no harm is done by it. Do you really want to compare professional athlete hazing and greek life hazing? Pretty sure there have been no deaths linked to carrying another teammates bags but plenty have been linked to hazing in greek life. Like I said if you want to compare the two we can but I doubt you really want too because then you'll see the comparison is not even close.
July 26, 201016 yr It's earning your stripes as a teammate rather than earning your stripes as a player. Like someone said it's keeping egos in check. And how is Roy Williams proving to Dez Bryant that he is a good teammate to him?
July 26, 201016 yr I compeltely agree with you. No one would hear about it in the news, because it wouldnt' be a good story. But that doesnt' mean that fraternities across the country are not getting in trouble for honestly some of the dumbest things. Dumb as carrying an active members books (I would call that the equivolent of carrying pads). Fraternities have brought it all on themselves over the years, but Greek Life and Academic Standard Offices across the country have taken how strict they are in regards to hazing to a whole new level. I've also heard of fraternities getting in trouble for making pledges pick up their laundry or clean an active's dorm room.
July 26, 201016 yr And I will admit, I don't think it is a big deal and I would probably carry the older players pads or did whatever if I was the rookie. But for the sake of discussion, I am going to fully take the minority side on this discussion. If not this thread would have 4 posts in it and die off by tomorrow lol.
July 26, 201016 yr I've also heard of fraternities getting in trouble for making pledges pick up their laundry or clean an active's dorm room. Yup...I would call that the equivolent as well.
July 26, 201016 yr Do you really want to compare professional athlete hazing and greek life hazing? Pretty sure there have been no deaths linked to carrying another teammates bags but plenty have been linked to hazing in greek life. Like I said if you want to compare the two we can but I doubt you really want too because then you'll see the comparison is not even close. There is obviously varying degrees and I agree much of the Greek hazing is stupid and completely out of line. However, how is this different than the fraternities that have gotten in trouble for having pledges pick up an active members laundry or cleaning an actives' room?
July 26, 201016 yr This isnt a school and its not a college frat. Carry the dang pads and shut up rookie.
July 26, 201016 yr This isnt a school and its not a college frat. Carry the dang pads and shut up rookie. You're right this isn't school or a fraternity. Carry your own dang pads and shut up you washed up has been.
July 26, 201016 yr You're right this isn't school or a fraternity. Carry your own dang pads and shut up you washed up has been. Who went through the same things Dez is going through now. It's part of joining the NFL whether you like or or not.
July 26, 201016 yr And I'm sure if Wade Phillips had asked him to do something, he'd do it. Phillips is his superior, not his equal or lesser, as Williams is. So why is hazing okay in football because it's tradition, but it's not okay for Greek life? What if the fraternity has a tradition of making all the pledges shotgun beers after doing a keg stand? People would be in an uproar, but no harm is done by it. Completely different. If you've ever played a sport, you know the freshman or the youngest players on varsity always take care of the equipment. Its just how it is. Comparing it to the crap that some of the fraternities do is just asinine. Everyone goes through it, and I guarentee in five years, Dez is telling the rookies to carry his pads.
July 26, 201016 yr Who went through the same things Dez is going through now. It's part of joining the NFL whether you like or or not. It's not part of joining the NFL. It's not in his contract. It's a dumb tradition, an unwrtten rule so to say.
July 26, 201016 yr You're right this isn't school or a fraternity. Carry your own dang pads and shut up you washed up never was. Fixed it for ya!
July 26, 201016 yr Wow some of you guys are way to hyped up over this. Just carry the pads like everyone else does and take it light hearted like everyone else does. Not a big deal he was just being a baby about it. Either way I don't really care though.
July 26, 201016 yr You're right this isn't school or a fraternity. Carry your own dang pads and shut up you washed up has been. So had it been Romo or Witten who told him to carry the pads your reaction would have been what exactly?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.