Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Armando Gallaraga throws perfect game. Wait, not so fast.

Featured Replies

^ Gotta respectfully disagree with the above. We have the technology to get these calls right. The "human element" argument has run its course. Let's get these calls correct.

 

We had peach baskets in basketball once upon a time, but their time has long passed.

  • Replies 141
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In no way does this change my opinion on instant replay in baseball. The human element is part of the game, and sure, sometimes there are mishaps and bad calls, but it is part of the game, and has been for over 100 years. Was it a horrible call? Yes... Should Joyce be punished? Absolutely not. Like MJ said, it is his job, how many times have you messed up at your work? I feel bad for Gallaraga, but life goes on and maybe he will get close to a perfect game again in his career...

 

100 years ago they didn't have the technology to get these calls right. I will never understand people who don't care if a call is wrong. It just makes no sense to me to say "Oh well" they've missed calls before. The technology is there to get these things right. If it's the 27th out of the 7th game of the World Series in a 1 run game and the next guy hits a bomb do we just say "oh well"? They need to get the calls right no matter if it's the 1st out of the 15th game of the season or the 27th out of a perfect game.

^ Gotta respectfully disagree with the above. We have the technology to get these calls right. The "human element" argument has run its course. Let's get these calls correct.

 

We had peach baskets in basketball once upon a time, but their time has long passed.

 

You beat me to it. I couldn't agree with you more.

So you would rather have a game go 4-5 hours? There are many "close calls" in baseball where managers would argue. It happens constantly.

Funny you say all that about Joyce because he has been an umpire in some big series, 7 AL/NL Championship. Was voted the 2nd best ump by players on several occassions. The guy made one mistake, unfortunately he will be remembered for that.

 

God forbid you make a mistake in your career.

 

It wasn't even close. Missing a call is one thing, it happens. There is no logical explaination for making the call he did other than him purposely doing so. If he honestly just "missed" it, maybe he needs to retire.

It was a bad call, Joyce apologized to Gallaraga for the call. Gallaraga was very classy about it as was his manager Jim Leyland. Officials do make mistakes, that is the human element. Joyce, according to all reports I am hearing is a terrific ump and good guy did the right think in admitting that he made a mistake and apologizing.

 

IMHO, this is actually good for baseball. To see a pitcher who is slighted from what he earned handle it with class and an ump admit that he made a mistake is a good moral lesson.

 

With that being said, I think the right thing to do would be to reverse the call and award Gallaraga what he rightfully deserves, a perfect game. It had no impact on the end result of the game.

So you would rather have a game go 4-5 hours? There are many "close calls" in baseball where managers would argue. It happens constantly.

 

Why would games go 5 hours b/c of close calls? I don't think every call would be reviewed. I will say that I wouldn't mind a game getting extended as long as it meant the right call was made as many times as possible. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do replay or what to limit the replay too. I just know I'm not a big fan of saying "oh well" we've missed calls before.

So you would rather have a game go 4-5 hours? There are many "close calls" in baseball where managers would argue. It happens constantly.

 

Absolutely no need to do that at all. Give a manager a couple of challenges, like in football. No questioning balls and strikes. And if the last play of the game is real close, let it be "challengable" even if the manager's allotment has been used.

 

Might add 5 minutes to a game in worst-case scenarios.

 

It ain't rocket science, folks. Let's get it right.

Why would games go 5 hours b/c of close calls? I don't think every call would be reviewed. I will say that I wouldn't mind a game getting extended as long as it meant the right call was made as many times as possible. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do replay or what to limit the replay too. I just know I'm not a big fan of saying "oh well" we've missed calls before.

 

 

Man, you are fast. You beat me to it.

So you would rather have a game go 4-5 hours? There are many "close calls" in baseball where managers would argue. It happens constantly.

I am not sure I am in favor of replay or not, but the idea the game will be extended any significant amount of time is just flat out wrong. Maybe it will eliminate the five minute appeals and subsequent silly tirades by managers and umpires in which time the replay is shown 10 times to viewers at home and to spectators in the stands.

^ Gotta respectfully disagree with the above. We have the technology to get these calls right. The "human element" argument has run its course. Let's get these calls correct.

 

We had peach baskets in basketball once upon a time, but their time has long passed.

 

:thumb: Couldn't agree more.

Should the NCAA reverse Kentucky's win over Louisville a few years back when Patrick Sparks obviously walked before he was fouled on a 3-pointer in the final seconds?

 

Sure, I don't care. I do know that this kid should have had a perfect game - which is a very big deal - and it was taken away by probably the worst call I can ever remember in baseball. There's a pretty good chance that this pitcher will never have this opportunity again.

Funny how some was saying it wasn't close. It was very close. It's easy to exclaim what an awful call it was when we watch in slow motion. Joyce missed it, not by much, but he missed it. It appeared to be closer than the Denkinger call. Suspend Joyce? Give me a break. The guys a good ump; just missed a close call. Granted, it will be remembered as an important missed call. Joyce and the young pitcher were both very classy after the game.

I think it was a horrible call by a good ump, and he should have a week off.

 

As far as the "class" issue is concerned, I agree to a point, but seriously had Gallaraga argued vociferously, then Joyce threw him out, think about how that would have played out. The problem with the situation is that there is currently no recourse for a bad call to be overturned outside of the home run replays.

 

We all make mistakes, but as others have stated, Joyce should have been looking for a reason to call the batter/runner out, not safe. Inexcuseable at the major league level.

Edited by History
spelling-the usual

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.