Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Armando Gallaraga throws perfect game. Wait, not so fast.

Featured Replies

I love the way the guy from Cleveland Usain Bolt's it down the line, then acts disappointed when he's ruled safe.

 

Tough break.

  • Replies 141
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny you say all that about Joyce because he has been an umpire in some big series, 7 AL/NL Championship. Was voted the 2nd best ump by players on several occassions. The guy made one mistake, unfortunately he will be remembered for that.

 

God forbid you make a mistake in your career.

 

And now he's secured his name in history.

Sure, I don't care. I do know that this kid should have had a perfect game - which is a very big deal - and it was taken away by probably the worst call I can ever remember in baseball. There's a pretty good chance that this pitcher will never have this opportunity again.

 

There is another way to look at it. There have been 20 perfect games thrown in MLB history. All were memorable for their accomplishments and while Gallaraga might not have his name added to the official list his will probably be remembered just as long as the "28 out perfect game." His game will just be a little more unique.

He said himself in the interview he can always show his kids and grandkids the DVD and know that he threw it.

Funny how some was saying it wasn't close. It was very close. It's easy to exclaim what an awful call it was when we watch in slow motion. Joyce missed it, not by much, but he missed it. It appeared to be closer than the Denkinger call. Suspend Joyce? Give me a break. The guys a good ump; just missed a close call. Granted, it will be remembered as an important missed call. Joyce and the young pitcher were both very classy after the game.

 

It wasn't close at all IMO

jimjoycedisaster.jpg

This was a horrible call. I feel sorry for both parties. I would love to see baseball reverse the call, however I do not think that Bud Selig has the jewels in him to do reverse it. The other travesty is that it has taken away from Griffey Jr's retirement.

It wasn't close at all IMO

In a still photo, of course it is not close. Still a bad call and not enough to simply be a judgment call. But let us not pretend he beat the throw by 2 seconds.

Bud Selig has the power to overturn the call. Never has happened on safe/out. Pine tar game was overturned. MLB is looking at it. I say leave it alone, but will not be upset if they did. Need replay, its simple.

I don't think giving football coaches the ability to challenge has made that much difference in the length of a game. I agree with mcpapa on this, give a manager a couple of challenges just like football, so they don't dispute every call. It can't make that much of a difference.

 

I say give the pitcher his perfect game.

It wasn't close at all IMO

 

And you can say with 100% certainty the ball is in his glove in that pic?

 

If this would have happened in the 3rd inning and Gallarga went on to pitch the reminder of the game as a perfect game we wouldn't even be talking about this. Or what if the runner was safe by the same margin and Joyce called him out? How many would be crying for baseball to take away the perfect game? My guess is none.

I just watched the SC report and have a tremendous amount of respect now for both the umpire and the pitcher. We should all learn from both of them on how to comport ourselves in a situation where a)we screw up and/or b)we were the victim of a screwup.

I just watched the SC report and have a tremendous amount of respect now for both the umpire and the pitcher. We should all learn from both of them on how to comport ourselves in a situation where a)we screw up and/or b)we were the victim of a screwup.

:thumb:

The umpire simply made a mistake, and owned it. The message here, ironically, is nobody's perfect.

I just watched the SC report and have a tremendous amount of respect now for both the umpire and the pitcher. We should all learn from both of them on how to comport ourselves in a situation where a)we screw up and/or b)we were the victim of a screwup.

 

Isn't that the truth. How many times do you hear an ump say they were wrong? I made sure my 12 year old pitcher watched the replay several times and watched Gallaraga's reaction. THAT is the way to conduct oneself on and off the field.

^ A teachable moment, for sure.

I think most of you are getting caught up in the perfect game aspect of this. To me, it's a bigger issue. If Joyce can make this call, it's one of two things....a) it was done intentionally, or b) he's beyond the point of no return and isn't fit to be a MLB ump anymore. Close plays are mistakes you live with, blatantly obvious plays that aren't even close is a problem.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.