Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Armando Gallaraga throws perfect game. Wait, not so fast.

Featured Replies

  • Replies 141
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gallaraga takes out the score card to the home plate ump, Joyce, today. After seeing Joyce's face during that exchange, and you can still say he blew the call on purpose, something is wrong with ya. Guy was fighting back tears.

 

And don't feel to bad for Gallaraga ya'll. He will be better known because of this string of events than he would have if he threw a perfect game. And the Detroit Tigers gave him a brand new car at the ball park. I think he'll but just fine lol.

No way should the game be overturned. Gallaraga has handled himself well everyone else is going nuts about Joyce's mistake. I think replay will no doubt happen, but hope it's only limited to close plays, and managers get one/game and get to keep it if they are correct.

Gallaraga takes out the score card to the home plate ump, Joyce, today. After seeing Joyce's face during that exchange, and you can still say he blew the call on purpose, something is wrong with ya. Guy was fighting back tears.

 

And don't feel to bad for Gallaraga ya'll. He will be better known because of this string of events than he would have if he threw a perfect game. And the Detroit Tigers gave him a brand new car at the ball park. I think he'll but just fine lol.

 

 

Hopefully the crowd shows a bit of compassion.

I'm 100% for overturning the call. This is a wrong that needs to be righted.

I don't care about all that — my contention is that if it's going to be part of the game, it should be severely limited so that managers think twice, thrice and four times before using it, because they may need it later for something more important.

 

So wouldn't one incoorect challenge do that? I don't care how long it takes if every call that is reviewed is overturned. I'd guess they wouldn't challenge a call in the 1st inning that's really close just in case they lose it and can't challenge later.

Guys, if you think that was a close call then you need to get your eyes checked. He is clearly out even in regular time, I would love to know how a professional umpire can miss a call like that. I do feel bad for him however because he does realize he made a mistake and there's nothing he can do about it. I think he handled it as well as he could have after the fact.

First off, the infamous pine tar game of 1983 was overturned because of a misinterpretation of the rules. Not a judgement call. The game was protested and the protest upheld.

 

Second, overturning this call sets a dangerous precedent.

 

While we're at it, let's strip Kansas City of the 1985 World Series title and award it to St. Louis because Don Dekinger obviously blew the call at first with Todd Worrell and Jorge Orta.

 

We also need to award Milt Pappas of the Cubs a perfect game instead of a no-hitter in 1973 because with two outs and a full count, Bruce Froemming called ball four on a pitch that video shows was a strike. Pappas lost the perfect game but retired the next batter for a no-hitter.

 

In 1996, let's reverse the call when Jeffrey Maier reached over the outfield wall on Derek Jeter's fly ball at the fence when it was clearly interference. Changed the whole complexion of the game and perhaps the playoff series with the Orioles.

 

And it doesn't stop with baseball. The Brady sack that cost the Raiders in the 2002 playoffs that spawned the "tuck" rule and Phil Luckett blowing the coin toss on Thanksgiving 1999. None of these were reversed.

 

It's called the human element in sports.

First off, the infamous pine tar game of 1983 was overturned because of a misinterpretation of the rules. Not a judgement call. The game was protested and the protest upheld.

 

Second, overturning this call sets a dangerous precedent.

 

While we're at it, let's strip Kansas City of the 1985 World Series title and award it to St. Louis because Don Dekinger obviously blew the call at first with Todd Worrell and Jorge Orta.

 

We also need to award Milt Pappas of the Cubs a perfect game instead of a no-hitter in 1973 because with two outs and a full count, Bruce Froemming called ball four on a pitch that video shows was a strike. Pappas lost the perfect game but retired the next batter for a no-hitter.

 

In 1996, let's reverse the call when Jeffrey Maier reached over the outfield wall on Derek Jeter's fly ball at the fence when it was clearly interference. Changed the whole complexion of the game and perhaps the playoff series with the Orioles.

 

And it doesn't stop with baseball. The Brady sack that cost the Raiders in the 2002 playoffs that spawned the "tuck" rule and Phil Luckett blowing the coin toss on Thanksgiving 1999. None of these were reversed.

 

It's called the human element in sports.

 

Right on...:thumb:

Guys, if you think that was a close call then you need to get your eyes checked. He is clearly out even in regular time, I would love to know how a professional umpire can miss a call like that. I do feel bad for him however because he does realize he made a mistake and there's nothing he can do about it. I think he handled it as well as he could have after the fact.

 

:thumb:

 

I still can't understand how a professional ump can miss a call like that on accident. No, I don't think he did it on purpose, but I'm thoroughly convinced he isn't fit to be a major league ump after this.

I'm 100% for overturning the call. This is a wrong that needs to be righted.

 

Would you be 100% for overturning it had he been called safe and was clearly out? Would you then be for taking the perfect game away?

:thumb:

 

I still can't understand how a professional ump can miss a call like that on accident. No, I don't think he did it on purpose, but I'm thoroughly convinced he isn't fit to be a major league ump after this.

 

Thank goodness you aren't in charge of anything in Major League Baseball. Drew Stubbs would be in the minors and Jim Joyce would be fired. Stubbs has been great in the 7 slot in the batting order and its obvious from Gallaraga's and the Tigers reactions that they don't feel the same way about Joyce. As a matter of fact as recently as 2006 Joyce was ranked as the 2nd best umpire in the game by the PLAYERS. It was a horrible call--it just happened to be at a horrible time. If it happens in a 10-2 game no one notices it except the people on the field.

^I think you meant if he had been called out and was clearly safe....

 

Yes I did.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.