Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Armando Gallaraga throws perfect game. Wait, not so fast.

Featured Replies

^ Gotta respectfully disagree with the above. We have the technology to get these calls right. The "human element" argument has run its course. Let's get these calls correct.

 

We had peach baskets in basketball once upon a time, but their time has long passed.

 

I can appreciate the sentiment, but in a game where managers and players are paid based on performance, it leaves the door open for challenging every single close play in a game. I can think of more than a couple players/managers who would abuse it.

  • Replies 141
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can appreciate the sentiment, but in a game where managers and players are paid based on performance, it leaves the door open for challenging every single close play in a game. I can think of more than a couple players/managers who would abuse it.

 

No doubt. That's why I advocate a system similar to that currently in place in the NFL. Limit the number of challenges.

I think most of you are getting caught up in the perfect game aspect of this. To me, it's a bigger issue. If Joyce can make this call, it's one of two things....a) it was done intentionally, or b) he's beyond the point of no return and isn't fit to be a MLB ump anymore. Close plays are mistakes you live with, blatantly obvious plays that aren't even close is a problem.

 

I personally think you are blowing this way out of proportion.

 

A) Of coarse he didn't blow the call intentionally. Do you think he wants to do with all this? Do you think he wants to be remembered for all this? He feels worse about this situation than anyone else involved.

 

B) First base umps miss this type of call pretty often. Just sucks for Joyce that he missed it in the national spotlight.

Here's a link- http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2010/06/umpire_jim_joyce_i_took_a_perf.html

 

Makes it sound like he was speaking to a group of reporters.

 

It isn't even the first time its happened in the last few weeks. Country Joe West had this to say after his ejections of Mark Buehrle and Ozzie Guillen a couple of weeks ago:

"The pitcher balked, and I called a balk, and he balked a second time and he got ejected for throwing his glove," West said. "Ozzie came out to protect his pitcher [after the first balk], which was probably a good idea at the time, because Buehrle was drawing lines in dirt on the mound [to show he's not moving his leg past where the rules stipulate], and he was about to get ejected then. [Guillen] even said he was out there not to argue the balk but to protect his pitcher, which he should come out in that situation. I said, 'Everything is OK now, Ozzie, you can go back to the dugout.' And he got mad, because I told him you can go back. He used a few profanity-laced lines and that got him ejected."

 

In addition his publicist also said that he was available for interviews.

 

I disagree 100% that it sets a bad precedent. It is refreshing to see an umpire own up to his mistake and showing he is human and having genuine remorse. I'm pretty sure Jim Joyce will be reminded of this almost daily for the rest of his life when people interact with him and realize he was the guy that blew the perfect game. He is Detroit's Steve Bartman!

 

After reading a little more, I was able to find it. Again, color me shocked. I can't believe MLB would allow individual umps to go commenting to the media about anything related to an on-field play. It sets a bad precedent because if you open yourself up to something like this it can become a slippery slope where an official feels like he has to defend every single controversial call. And let's not kid ourselves — not all members of the media operate with professionalism when it comes to the teams they cover. I can already hear this exchange at a post-game press conference between an ump and some yayhoo homer reporter from a nearby weekly:

 

Reporter: I can't believe you made that call against us in the third inning. You must be biased against us.

 

If college basketball officials did this sort of thing, can you imagine how ugly it would get in the bowels of Rupp Arena following a UK loss, given how many small-town reporters — many of whom are there more to cheer on the 'Cats from courtside for free rather than actually professionally covering the event — go to their games?

 

As I said, bad precedent. It's already a thankless job that is subject to an inordinate amount of public scrutiny. Let's leave it up to the league/conference officials to comment on this type thing.

I think most of you are getting caught up in the perfect game aspect of this. To me, it's a bigger issue. If Joyce can make this call, it's one of two things....a) it was done intentionally, or b) he's beyond the point of no return and isn't fit to be a MLB ump anymore. Close plays are mistakes you live with, blatantly obvious plays that aren't even close is a problem.

 

You are so out of touch with reality here it's astonishing...

Here's a link- http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2010/06/umpire_jim_joyce_i_took_a_perf.html

 

Makes it sound like he was speaking to a group of reporters.

 

It isn't even the first time its happened in the last few weeks. Country Joe West had this to say after his ejections of Mark Buehrle and Ozzie Guillen a couple of weeks ago:

"The pitcher balked, and I called a balk, and he balked a second time and he got ejected for throwing his glove," West said. "Ozzie came out to protect his pitcher [after the first balk], which was probably a good idea at the time, because Buehrle was drawing lines in dirt on the mound [to show he's not moving his leg past where the rules stipulate], and he was about to get ejected then. [Guillen] even said he was out there not to argue the balk but to protect his pitcher, which he should come out in that situation. I said, 'Everything is OK now, Ozzie, you can go back to the dugout.' And he got mad, because I told him you can go back. He used a few profanity-laced lines and that got him ejected."

 

In addition his publicist also said that he was available for interviews.

 

No doubt. That's why I advocate a system similar to that currently in place in the NFL. Limit the number of challenges.

 

If a challenge system were put in place, the only way I would be for it is if there were severe restrictions placed upon it. For example, a max of two challenges a week, with a correct challenge maybe buying an extra one. And none before the seventh inning.

B) First base umps miss this type of call pretty often. Just sucks for Joyce that he missed it in the national spotlight.

 

They miss close calls pretty often. This wasn't a close call though. It was much closer to routine than close.

Although it is a terrible thing for Gallaraga to lose the perfect game on a bad call, it was still made. The umpire mad the wrong call and admitted to it after the game. But I think if Bud (who I think is the worst comiss in all of pro sports) reverses the call it will be opening up a can that he doesn't want to open. In '85 the Cardinals lost the World Series on a blown call, but life goes on. And as much as I think instant replay will be a part of baseball someday I hope it never happens. Baseball is maybe one of the pureist sports still around.

They miss close calls pretty often. This wasn't a close call though. It was much closer to routine than close.

 

It was much closer then you are making it out to be. If you watch the replay from the outfield camera angle it shows it to be have been much closer then pic above.

If a challenge system were put in place, the only way I would be for it is if there were severe restrictions placed upon it. For example, a max of two challenges a week, with a correct challenge maybe buying an extra one. And none before the seventh inning.

 

What? That's crazy. Just leave the HR's the same way they are done now and give the managers one incorrect challenge per game. If they challenge and get it correct they keep their challenge. A call in the 4th inning is just as big as a call in the 8th. Shouldn't we just want the calls to be corrected when they can be?

It was much closer then you are making it out to be. If you watch the replay from the outfield camera angle it shows it to be have been much closer then pic above.

 

Absolutely. No way in the world do I think Joyce missed that intentionally. From his angle, it was a very close play.

What? That's crazy. Just leave the HR's the same way they are done now and give the managers one incorrect challenge per game. If they challenge and get it correct they keep their challenge. A call in the 4th inning is just as big as a call in the 8th. Shouldn't we just want the calls to be corrected when they can be?

 

I don't care about all that — my contention is that if it's going to be part of the game, it should be severely limited so that managers think twice, thrice and four times before using it, because they may need it later for something more important.

I don't care about all that — my contention is that if it's going to be part of the game, it should be severely limited so that managers think twice, thrice and four times before using it, because they may need it later for something more important.

 

I think the best way to do it is to add an extra umpire to the crew. This would also help should one of the field umpires become sick or injured. I think it should be completely up to the replay umpire as to whether to stop play to review a call. That would prevent the managers from abusing their power and allow calls to be corrected no matter what inning without seriously disrupting play. If the replay umpire doesn't see anything that needs to be reviewed after seeing the first replay then let the game move on. If the first replay raises a question he could stop play and conduct a review, even involving the other umpires if need be like on the homerun calls.

I don't see anyway Selig can overturn the call and remain an opponent of replay. By overturning the call he is admitting baseball needs replay because he would be using replay to overturn the call.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.