Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Armando Gallaraga throws perfect game. Wait, not so fast.

Featured Replies

Color me shocked. I don't recall ever hearing of an official talking to reporters after a game and discussing a call that should/shouldn't have been made. For one, it sets a bad precedent.

 

OK, wait, on the stuff with the quotes: Where did this come from? Did Joyce actually say this to a reporter? Or is this Leyland or Gallaraga repeating what Joyce told them in private? Important distinction here.

 

Here's a link- http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2010/06/umpire_jim_joyce_i_took_a_perf.html

 

Makes it sound like he was speaking to a group of reporters.

  • Replies 141
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a moron. I mean missing close calls is one thing, this is an entirely different matter though. Heck, watching that live you could tell he was out by at least a step. It seriously was the worst call I've ever seen in a baseball game, regardless of the perfect game aspect. How does someone with that bad of vision or hand/eye cordination have a job in sports? Absolutely pathetic.

Color me shocked. I don't recall ever hearing of an official talking to reporters after a game and discussing a call that should/shouldn't have been made. For one, it sets a bad precedent.

 

OK, wait, on the stuff with the quotes: Where did this come from? Did Joyce actually say this to a reporter? Or is this Leyland or Gallaraga repeating what Joyce told them in private? Important distinction here.

 

 

It isn't even the first time its happened in the last few weeks. Country Joe West had this to say after his ejections of Mark Buehrle and Ozzie Guillen a couple of weeks ago:

"The pitcher balked, and I called a balk, and he balked a second time and he got ejected for throwing his glove," West said. "Ozzie came out to protect his pitcher [after the first balk], which was probably a good idea at the time, because Buehrle was drawing lines in dirt on the mound [to show he's not moving his leg past where the rules stipulate], and he was about to get ejected then. [Guillen] even said he was out there not to argue the balk but to protect his pitcher, which he should come out in that situation. I said, 'Everything is OK now, Ozzie, you can go back to the dugout.' And he got mad, because I told him you can go back. He used a few profanity-laced lines and that got him ejected."

 

In addition his publicist also said that he was available for interviews.

I used to ump. On a close play you have to see the runner safe, if not he is out. How could Jim say "I thought he beat the throw"? I was thinking he might have seen the ball bounce around in the pitcher's glove. "Beat the throw?" Jim needs to have a few days off with no pay.

It isn't even the first time its happened in the last few weeks. Country Joe West had this to say after his ejections of Mark Buehrle and Ozzie Guillen a couple of weeks ago:

"The pitcher balked, and I called a balk, and he balked a second time and he got ejected for throwing his glove," West said. "Ozzie came out to protect his pitcher [after the first balk], which was probably a good idea at the time, because Buehrle was drawing lines in dirt on the mound [to show he's not moving his leg past where the rules stipulate], and he was about to get ejected then. [Guillen] even said he was out there not to argue the balk but to protect his pitcher, which he should come out in that situation. I said, 'Everything is OK now, Ozzie, you can go back to the dugout.' And he got mad, because I told him you can go back. He used a few profanity-laced lines and that got him ejected."

 

In addition his publicist also said that he was available for interviews.

 

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/22150950

Gallaraga was very gracious and classy in his interview with Baseball Tonight afterward. Just a shame for him.

Add me to the group that thinks the call should be reversed and the perfect game should be made official.

Add me to the group that thinks the call should be reversed and the perfect game should be made official.
Should the NCAA reverse Kentucky's win over Louisville a few years back when Patrick Sparks obviously walked before he was fouled on a 3-pointer in the final seconds?
Pandora's box to....instant replay?

 

I am not necessarily for or against instant replay in baseball. However, to change a call after the game is long and over can not happen. If they allow this to be declared a perfect game after the fact, that will open pandora's box.

What a moron. I mean missing close calls is one thing, this is an entirely different matter though. Heck, watching that live you could tell he was out by at least a step. It seriously was the worst call I've ever seen in a baseball game, regardless of the perfect game aspect. How does someone with that bad of vision or hand/eye cordination have a job in sports? Absolutely pathetic.

 

Funny you say all that about Joyce because he has been an umpire in some big series, 7 AL/NL Championship. Was voted the 2nd best ump by players on several occassions. The guy made one mistake, unfortunately he will be remembered for that.

 

God forbid you make a mistake in your career.

Add me to the group that thinks the call should be reversed and the perfect game should be made official.

 

Should the NCAA reverse Kentucky's win over Louisville a few years back when Patrick Sparks obviously walked before he was fouled on a 3-pointer in the final seconds?

 

I am glad someone else agrees with me that this call should not be reversed. I thought I was alone here.

Should the NCAA reverse Kentucky's win over Louisville a few years back when Patrick Sparks obviously walked before he was fouled on a 3-pointer in the final seconds?

 

2 completely different things. This is changing a 1 hitter to a perfect game (rightfully so), the other is changing an outcome of a game.

It isn't even the first time its happened in the last few weeks. Country Joe West had this to say after his ejections of Mark Buehrle and Ozzie Guillen a couple of weeks ago:

"The pitcher balked, and I called a balk, and he balked a second time and he got ejected for throwing his glove," West said. "Ozzie came out to protect his pitcher [after the first balk], which was probably a good idea at the time, because Buehrle was drawing lines in dirt on the mound [to show he's not moving his leg past where the rules stipulate], and he was about to get ejected then. [Guillen] even said he was out there not to argue the balk but to protect his pitcher, which he should come out in that situation. I said, 'Everything is OK now, Ozzie, you can go back to the dugout.' And he got mad, because I told him you can go back. He used a few profanity-laced lines and that got him ejected."

 

In addition his publicist also said that he was available for interviews.

 

Since when do umpires have (or perhaps more importantly, feel the need to have) publicists?

Don't retroactively change the call. If that happens, it nullifies the clamor for instant replay.

In no way does this change my opinion on instant replay in baseball. The human element is part of the game, and sure, sometimes there are mishaps and bad calls, but it is part of the game, and has been for over 100 years. Was it a horrible call? Yes... Should Joyce be punished? Absolutely not. Like MJ said, it is his job, how many times have you messed up at your work? I feel bad for Gallaraga, but life goes on and maybe he will get close to a perfect game again in his career...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.