June 3, 201016 yr If he does, he puts his job in serious jeopardy. It's a big no-no in all sports for officials to be commenting on their calls during games. Don't you think you would have heard an official's comments on a controversial call in the past before now if they were permitted to do so? So is Jim Joyce's job in jeopardy?
June 3, 201016 yr I don't understand why the MLB wouldn't at least consider giving the kid a perfect game. It wouldn't change anything. Seems like the practical thing to do- not to mention the right thing.
June 3, 201016 yr I don't understand why the MLB wouldn't at least consider giving the kid a perfect game. It wouldn't change anything. Seems like the practical thing to do- not to mention the right thing. If that happens...you are opening pandora's box in my opinion.
June 3, 201016 yr At least the guy manned up afterwards and said he kicked the call. Too bad he froze like a deer in the headlights on the play, though.
June 3, 201016 yr That ump should be suspended or fined. Truely awful call and it was not even close.The call had no bearing on the outcome of the game. Did it cost Gallaraga a perfect game? Yes. Is there an outrage if the same call is made in the second inning and Gallaraga throws no-hit ball the rest of the way? Not even close. No fine. No suspension. Truly awful. Hopefully Bud Selig and MLB will do the unprecedented and do the right thing and reverse the call and give him the perfect game. I really hope they do this for both Galarraga and Jim Joyce. No. Then you would have to go back and award St. Louis the 1985 World Series title. You would have to go back to the 1970s and award Milt Pappas a perfect game. So is Jim Joyce's job in jeopardy? No. It was a bad call. Umpires make them all the time although many arent as magnified as this one. He owned up to it and apologized. And again, it no bearing on the outcome of the game. But I'm sure we'll see instant replay expanded before this time next year.
June 3, 201016 yr Author Ultimate jinx job HC. I'm impressed. I didn't start this thread until after the ball got to 1st base. Not my fault the umpire bit the big one lol
June 3, 201016 yr Can I breathe now Jim? It looks like you were 100% wrong on this. The veteran ump regretted it. "I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay." "It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989. Tigers manager Jim Leyland immediately argued the call and was joined by several of his players after the final out. Galarraga was trying to pitch the third perfect game in the majors this season. A source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that Joyce came into the locker room following the game and apologized to Galarraga and Leyland personally. Galarraga (2-1) was in complete control throughout the night. Then Donald's groundball became the flash point of the night, and perhaps the season. He commented on it after the game. Owned up to the bad call. So is Jim Joyce's job in jeopardy? Color me shocked. I don't recall ever hearing of an official talking to reporters after a game and discussing a call that should/shouldn't have been made. For one, it sets a bad precedent. OK, wait, on the stuff with the quotes: Where did this come from? Did Joyce actually say this to a reporter? Or is this Leyland or Gallaraga repeating what Joyce told them in private? Important distinction here.
June 3, 201016 yr Wow I really feel bad for all that is involved. The kid could not have been any more classier in his interview after the game in accepting that a mistake was made but realizing there was nothing anyone could do about it. His reaction on the field was unbelievably calm. Could you imagine say a Carlos Zambrano in this situation? Big props to Jim Joyce for going to talk to the kid and admitting he cost him a perfect game.
June 3, 201016 yr The bad thing about it is I have umpired and in a case like that every ump is thinking anything close is a out. Any border line pitches is a strike. Makethe hitters earn it. Every ump but Jim Joyce. He had to be looking for something that just was not there. Espn showed the tape and commented that he watched Caberea catch the ball, which is not proper technique, but he quickly turned back to watch the play at the bag. Just to bad.
June 3, 201016 yr The kid could not have been any more classier in his interview after the game in accepting that a mistake was made but realizing there was nothing anyone could do about it. His reaction on the field was unbelievably calm. Could you imagine say a Carlos Zambrano in this situation? Big props to Jim Joyce for going to talk to the kid and admitting he cost him a perfect game. I agree I was shocked how calm everyone seemed to be and I like how he admitted to the Kid he blew the game for him. Doesn't make it any better but still. Kinda wonder if the MLB will step in and do anything, I highly doubt it but I bet they are considering it.
June 3, 201016 yr The bad thing about it is I have umpired and in a case like that every ump is thinking anything close is a out. Any border line pitches is a strike. Makethe hitters earn it. Every ump but Jim Joyce. He had to be looking for something that just was not there. Espn showed the tape and commented that he watched Caberea catch the ball, which is not proper technique, but he quickly turned back to watch the play at the bag. Just to bad. That is what I was thinking as well. If you are going to get it wrong get it wrong the other way at least and it really wasn't that close.
June 3, 201016 yr Color me shocked. I don't recall ever hearing of an official talking to reporters after a game and discussing a call that should/shouldn't have been made. For one, it sets a bad precedent. I disagree 100% that it sets a bad precedent. It is refreshing to see an umpire own up to his mistake and showing he is human and having genuine remorse. I'm pretty sure Jim Joyce will be reminded of this almost daily for the rest of his life when people interact with him and realize he was the guy that blew the perfect game. He is Detroit's Steve Bartman!
June 3, 201016 yr They should reverse it. Not as exciting but it's not the kids fault the ump made an absolute horrible call. Even if it was that close I would have called him out. The ball beat him so he's out, isn't that one of baseball's holy "unwritten rules"?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.