Did the referees call the game different for Scott County?

Sitting here watching NCAA games and looked through the stats for the state tourney.

How did Scott Co. have seven players foul out in their quarter and semi games when only 4-5 players fouled out in total of all the other teams playing in games decided by less than 10 points?

I wasn't there but does anyone, preferably without a Scott Co bias, think the officials were holding them to a different standard?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitting here watching NCAA games and looked through the stats for the state tourney.

How did Scott Co. have seven players foul out in their quarter and semi games when only 4-5 players fouled out in total of all the other teams playing in games decided by less than 10 points?

I wasn't there but does anyone, preferably without a Scott Co bias, think the officials were holding them to a different standard?

It makes one think, after you posted this I looked at all the games in the state tournament and there were only 7 other players foul out in a game during the entire tournament. Scott Co. had 7 players foul out in just two games. It just happened to be the quarter-finals and semi-finals.:confused:

Also went Scott Co's website and looked at the stats and in the other 34 games they played they only had 18 players foul out of a game. Competition no different from the state tournament, their schedule was unbelievably tough.

Looks extremely odd to me?????

Edited by fullcourt

I watched both games and many fouls were due to the fact, those two teams they were playing were extremely fast. Twice Euton picked up fouls by turning around when got down the floor on defense and the man with the ball was right behind him shooting a layup. When the other team has more speed you tend to foul more if they are taking the ball to the hole. Christian Co. and Ballard attacked the basket against them and they fouled. They won one and lost one. Ballard did not attack the basket as much in the finals, maybe they were tired?

After watching Paducah Tilghman get absolutely jobbed by the refs in their game with Scott County a few years ago, I would think that Scott County should feel fortunate that they got "jobbed" this year and still won the game

I remember that game well and did think that PT got a raw deal.

All of the Scott County players that fouled out had at least 3 stupid fouls a piece. It blew my mind and I couldn't believe that they played this way. Every player that fouled out used all 5 of their fouls and their 5th foul was always the worst one. Those kids would have 4 fouls and still be playing as if they had 1 foul. Unbelievable.

And as the previous poster said, Hicks would put them back in the game at questionable times as well. Jackson had 4 fouls and started the 4th quarter. He shouldn't have came back in until there was 3 minutes left. Took him all of about 30 seconds to foul out when the 4th quarter started.

I am still baffled about decisions that not only the players, but the coaches of Scott County made throughout the tourney. I'm also baffled about how they believe they never committed a foul either. Really?? You don't think that kid laying on the ground was fouled by you??? Really?

Arguably the most talented team there, but in the end............

Maybe coach hicks should have taken his players out when they got their 2nd foul in the first half? He left them in and 2 of them got their 3rd fouls before half.

Totally agree with you on all points. If Hicks would do less complaining to the officials who won't listen to him to start with and since he has figured that out, now he turns and complains and pleads with his assistants. Before he knows it after the foul is called and all his pleading and complaining the next possession has started and guess what, if a player has 3 or 4 fouls early in the second half half well they are still in the game. Its comical to watch but an injustice to the kids in my opinion.

I remember that game well and did think that PT got a raw deal.

Yes, Paducah Tilghman did get robbed. On the play they were talking about, Scott Hundley was started toward his bench thinking he had just fouled out when the ref called the PT player for backing under him. Brutal call.

Maybe coach hicks should have taken his players out when they got their 2nd foul in the first half? He left them in and 2 of them got their 3rd fouls before half.

I agree, but against Ballard Hicks did sit a couple of them at the end of the second quarter. Shotwell picked up his 3rd, but Hicks couldn't sit them all as he had Jackson and Flannery on the bench. Jackson committed some awful fouls against Ballard. I thought Hicks brought him back in too soon against Ballard in a tie game, but Jackson also has to be smarter and get out of the way on that drive to the basket.

But, if Scott County takes better shots on all their possession, the fouls are irrelevant. Ballard and Scott County both have bonehead possessions, but they usually have a large margin for error. Shelby Valley valued each possession against Ballard and that was the difference.

I agree, but against Ballard Hicks did sit a couple of them at the end of the second quarter. Shotwell picked up his 3rd, but Hicks couldn't sit them all as he had Jackson and Flannery on the bench. Jackson committed some awful fouls against Ballard. I thought Hicks brought him back in too soon against Ballard in a tie game, but Jackson also has to be smarter and get out of the way on that drive to the basket.

But, if Scott County takes better shots on all their possession, the fouls are irrelevant. Ballard and Scott County both have bonehead possessions, but they usually have a large margin for error. Shelby Valley valued each possession against Ballard and that was the difference.

Jackson's first 2 fouls were the killers. He reached around a player to try to tie him up and 7 seconds later fouls a three point shooter.

Yes, Paducah Tilghman did get robbed. On the play they were talking about, Scott Hundley was started toward his bench thinking he had just fouled out when the ref called the PT player for backing under him. Brutal call.

I never say anything bad about the refs, but that was the worst call in a big game I can remember.

All of the Scott County players that fouled out had at least 3 stupid fouls a piece. It blew my mind and I couldn't believe that they played this way. Every player that fouled out used all 5 of their fouls and their 5th foul was always the worst one. Those kids would have 4 fouls and still be playing as if they had 1 foul. Unbelievable.

And as the previous poster said, Hicks would put them back in the game at questionable times as well. Jackson had 4 fouls and started the 4th quarter. He shouldn't have came back in until there was 3 minutes left. Took him all of about 30 seconds to foul out when the 4th quarter started.

I am still baffled about decisions that not only the players, but the coaches of Scott County made throughout the tourney. I'm also baffled about how they believe they never committed a foul either. Really?? You don't think that kid laying on the ground was fouled by you??? Really?

Arguably the most talented team there, but in the end............

Spot on. :thumb::thumb::thumb: It was disappointing to see one of the best players in the tournament (Jackson) not around at the end of one of the most exciting games (Scott Co. vs Ballard). I just can't understand why he would put himself in that position knowing he had 4 fouls.

It also seemed like Hicks should have been doing more coaching than complaining. Scott Co. did not get jobbed, they just fouled a lot and did not do a good job at managinig their players fouls. I honestly think they benefitted from a few late calls in the Christian Co game.

I honestly do not know the answer to this question, but could it be that Scott Co was used to getting a differently called game in their own region and they couldn't adjust?