Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Biggest Upsets in 9th Region History

Featured Replies

Obviously yesterdays Newport upset of Holmes was a very big upset. I suppose how big is debatable.

 

What were some other big upsets in NKY boys basketball?

  • Replies 35
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newport over Holmes was incredible. Not that Newport won, but by the amount. Hats off to the Wildcats! :thumb:

Deleted.

I wouldn't consider Newport over Holmes this year that big of an upset.

 

Newport was 28-5 heading in to the game, so obviously they were a very solid team. Sure it was an upset considering Holmes had beaten them by a combined 28 points during the regular season, but not one of the biggest upsets in region history.

 

The year Holy Cross knocked Holmes out of the district in the first round (96, I believe) was a bigger upset than yesterday. I believe Holmes was undefeated in the region that year and didn't even make it out of the district.

While no longer a 9th Region team I would think that the year that Scott represented the 9th downstate would be near the top.

 

If my memory is correct they were a .500 team heading into districts and beat a heavily favored Holy Cross team to advance out of the region.

What was SK's record in 95 when they beat Covcath at Holmes in the region championship?

 

Here is the video for those that don't remember:

 

Considering Holmes beating Newport twice duing the regular season and returning everyone from last years squad I would consider this a hugh upset. Not that Newport did not have a great year because week in and week out I was amazed on their accomplishments this year from last. Well deserved and I only wish them the best of luck at Rupp. GO WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JD

Considering Holmes beating Newport twice duing the regular season and returning everyone from last years squad I would consider this a hugh upset. Not that Newport did not have a great year because week in and week out I was amazed on their accomplishments this year from last. Well deserved and I only wish them the best of luck at Rupp. GO WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JD

 

Holmes did not return everyone from last years team. From what I saw yesterday they missed last seasons PG greatly. But yes it was an upset. Huge? Yeah, pretty big. Makes it that much sweeter for the Wildcats and their fans. A moment that is sure to go down in Newport athletics history.

Considering Holmes beating Newport twice duing the regular season and returning everyone from last years squad I would consider this a hugh upset. Not that Newport did not have a great year because week in and week out I was amazed on their accomplishments this year from last. Well deserved and I only wish them the best of luck at Rupp. GO WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JD

 

Holmes lost Riley, D. Johnson, and Housely from last year's state championship team.

 

Newport returned their entire team and added transfer Foster.

  • Author
I wouldn't consider Newport over Holmes this year that big of an upset.

 

Newport was 28-5 heading in to the game, so obviously they were a very solid team. Sure it was an upset considering Holmes had beaten them by a combined 28 points during the regular season, but not one of the biggest upsets in region history.

 

Reasons why this is big upset:

 

- Holmes was the defending state champ with their top 3 players from that team still playing, 2 of which were among the top players in the state.

- Holmes was preseason nationally ranked and #1 ranked in the state.

- Holmes was a top 5 team in the state for the entire season. Newport was unranked the entire season.

This is the BIGGEST upset in the history of the ninth region. An unranked, district runner-up, single A school TKOing the #4 state ranked team and DEFENDING state champs with 3 D1 prospects.

 

Are You Kidding ME!!!

 

Watch Out - The Cats Are on the Prowl :taz:

What was SK's record in 95 when they beat Covcath at Holmes in the region championship?

 

Here is the video for those that don't remember:

 

 

SK ended the season 29-5. I didn't consider the win over CovCath an upset, both teams were very good that year.

I wouldn't consider Newport over Holmes this year that big of an upset.

 

Newport was 28-5 heading in to the game, so obviously they were a very solid team. Sure it was an upset considering Holmes had beaten them by a combined 28 points during the regular season, but not one of the biggest upsets in region history.

 

The year Holy Cross knocked Holmes out of the district in the first round (96, I believe) was a bigger upset than yesterday. I believe Holmes was undefeated in the region that year and didn't even make it out of the district.

 

Holmes was undefeated in the region that year, but Holy Cross beat them in the region, because these two were actually not in the same district at this time.

Walter,Newport lost a starter David Darnell,and Pat Klaas.

SK ended the season 29-5. I didn't consider the win over CovCath an upset, both teams were very good that year.

 

I'd have to agree with you on that Neerfan.

 

Thanks for the video link though, Walter. I found myself in the stands.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.