January 13, 201016 yr I only saw the last few minutes of this game. Nice finish by UK. Didn't anyone else seem to think that Florida gave up towards the end??
January 13, 201016 yr I only saw the last few minutes of this game. Nice finish by UK. Didn't anyone else seem to think that Florida gave up towards the end?? That's my favorite thing about this years UK team. It seems like every time a team gets close late in the game we have one player that takes over and shatters the opponents spirits.
January 13, 201016 yr I only saw the last few minutes of this game. Nice finish by UK. Didn't anyone else seem to think that Florida gave up towards the end?? Yes, Walker was untucking his shirt with a minute left in the game. They were only down eleven.
January 13, 201016 yr I only saw the last few minutes of this game. Nice finish by UK. Didn't anyone else seem to think that Florida gave up towards the end?? I thought they did as well. They had fought so hard, and when UK looked to be closing them out the Gators did seem to fold. I think that speaks to the difference in the external and internal motivation that Donovan spoke about. It's easy to have the external motivation to play a ranked UK or Mich St, but you have to have the internal motivation to keep going when things get tough. This UK squad, young as they are, seem to have that. UF doesn't appear to have it right now.
January 13, 201016 yr Awful was probably a bit strong. As I watched the game last night, I wondered how in the world this team beat Michigan State. Defensively, they were non-existent. Shot selection throughout the game was atrocious. As I said, if Tyus doesn't magically become a perimeter scorer, we beat them by 20-25 points IMO. I think between he and Walker, their shooting was all that kept UF in the game. If they aren't hitting those long bombs, I agree that the game could have been a blowout.
January 14, 201016 yr The three spot is going to be a carousel all year. Miller finally played with some confidence, Dodson his some big 3's, Liggins has been better and Harris is the defensive go to guy. Orton came off the bench and had some huge blocks and rebounds. UK is very deep. Its hard to believe UK has that kind of depth considering what we had last year... Good game by the Cats. I hope they can figure out how to keep the hammer down at some point...last night it seemed they'd crank it up, get a 10-12 point lead, then let Florida come back, then run it up to 10 or 12 again, etc... Of course, Florida got real hot for a few minutes and started draining 30 footers. Not much you can do with that. I'd really like to see Cousins finish stronger at the rim sometimes. There's a time to finesse it, but there's also a time to try to break the backboard with a dunk. :lol: Another thing I was really excited about is how well UK played last night with Wall on the bench for a few minutes. Also, they played Bledsoe at the point a little last night even when Wall was on the court and they looked good doing it. This team can be scary good if they keep making improvements in those and other areas.
January 14, 201016 yr Its hard to believe UK has that kind of depth considering what we had last year... Good game by the Cats. I hope they can figure out how to keep the hammer down at some point...last night it seemed they'd crank it up, get a 10-12 point lead, then let Florida come back, then run it up to 10 or 12 again, etc... Of course, Florida got real hot for a few minutes and started draining 30 footers. Not much you can do with that. I'd really like to see Cousins finish stronger at the rim sometimes. There's a time to finesse it, but there's also a time to try to break the backboard with a dunk. :lol: Another thing I was really excited about is how well UK played last night with Wall on the bench for a few minutes. Also, they played Bledsoe at the point a little last night even when Wall was on the court and they looked good doing it. This team can be scary good if they keep making improvements in those and other areas. That's what is most promising to me. This team is what 17-0 now, beat some quality teams, and still has room to improve. I agree with Cousins not finishing though, and you can add Orton in there as well. I wish Orton played with as much intensity on the offensive side of the ball as he did on defense. Scary Good.
January 14, 201016 yr That's what is most promising to me. This team is what 17-0 now, beat some quality teams, and still has room to improve. I agree with Cousins not finishing though, and you can add Orton in there as well. I wish Orton played with as much intensity on the offensive side of the ball as he did on defense. Scary Good. This is because he lacks offensive skills and soft hands...if you added Cousins and Orton's strengths, you would have one heckuva a talent. Cousins need to work on core strength and explosiveness...Orton needs to work on his hands, and footwork. They are however different enough to give opposing teams troubles because of their different strengths and weaknesses
January 14, 201016 yr I am prediciting that Orton is going to be a much different player next year after a full offseason of good work. I think we are going to see Orton transform into a great player.
January 14, 201016 yr I thought they did as well. They had fought so hard, and when UK looked to be closing them out the Gators did seem to fold. I think that speaks to the difference in the external and internal motivation that Donovan spoke about. It's easy to have the external motivation to play a ranked UK or Mich St, but you have to have the internal motivation to keep going when things get tough. This UK squad, young as they are, seem to have that. UF doesn't appear to have it right now. Great post and I totally agree! :thumb:
January 14, 201016 yr I am prediciting that Orton is going to be a much different player next year after a full offseason of good work. I think we are going to see Orton transform into a great player. :thumb: I agree 110%. He really does remind me of a Jamal Magloire. Strong, good rebounder and excellent timing as a shot blocker, but had limited offensive skills. Magloire became a much more complete player given time. I believe that Orton will as well.
January 14, 201016 yr :thumb: I agree 110%. He really does remind me of a Jamal Magloire. Strong, good rebounder and excellent timing as a shot blocker, but had limited offensive skills. Magloire became a much more complete player given time. I believe that Orton will as well. I agree. I think Orton is more mobile or athletic than Magloire was. I really like his upside and inside presence this year.
January 14, 201016 yr Is it just me or does anyone else cringe when Perry Stevenson comes in against good front courts? :idunno: The more minutes Orton can stay in to spell Cousins, the better we are for a tourney run. If we have to rely on Stevenson much I think we would be in trouble against good teams. Just MHO. :thumb:
January 14, 201016 yr I am prediciting that Orton is going to be a much different player next year after a full offseason of good work. I think we are going to see Orton transform into a great player. He's certainly got the potential. If UK only loses Wall, Cousins and Patterson, they should have a pretty strong team next year with what they return. Bledsoe at the point, Miller, Liggins at the 2 and 3, Orton in the middle...that's four good starters and a solid sub to start with.
January 14, 201016 yr Is it just me or does anyone else cringe when Perry Stevenson comes in against good front courts? :idunno: The more minutes Orton can stay in to spell Cousins, the better we are for a tourney run. If we have to rely on Stevenson much I think we would be in trouble against good teams. Just MHO. :thumb: I cringe when Wall (or someone else) tries to pass the ball to Stevenson as if its Cousins or Patterson. The guy has no hands.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.