Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fun Random UK Wildcat Facts

Featured Replies

This is a classic. I got contact lenses in January 1984. My first day I was allowed to wear them for 3 hours. I put them in when I got to Rupp Arena. So while I was putting them in at the sink in Rupp Arena, right next to me at the urinal was none other than Happy Chandler!

  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a classic. I got contact lenses in January 1984. My first day I was allowed to wear them for 3 hours. I put them in when I got to Rupp Arena. So while I was putting them in at the sink in Rupp Arena, right next to me at the urinal was none other than Happy Chandler!

 

I was born August 24, 1984 so can you fill me in on Happy Chandler, as I've obviously missed the fella.

I was born August 24, 1984 so can you fill me in on Happy Chandler, as I've obviously missed the fella.

 

Happy Chandler twice served as governor of Kentucky and as the commissioner of Major League Baseball.

Almost forgot, he also sang the best version of "My Old Kentucky Home" ever.

 

Actuall this is Valerie Steel, not Issel.

 

Actually Dan Issel is for the Wildcats. Steel is for the Hoops.:D

When I was in high school, I played backyard basketball at a teammate's house against Sam Bowie while he was a player at UK. After he blocked every shot I took from anywhere on the court over a 5 minute span, I quit and went inside to play pool. Thought I could surely beat him at that. He smoked me at that so I went home!!!

My great-uncle was First Team All-Sec in the 1930's. His name was Dave Lawrence and he told me that Rupp came to his house while he was digging a ditch on his father's farm. Rupp looked at him and said, "boy, are you interested in palying ball for me?" My uncle said "sure". He rode back to Lexington with him that day.

My great-uncle was First Team All-Sec in the 1930's. His name was Dave Lawrence and he told me that Rupp came to his house while he was digging a ditch on his father's farm. Rupp looked at him and said, "boy, are you interested in palying ball for me?" My uncle said "sure". He rode back to Lexington with him that day.

 

What a cool story! :thumb:

One of the current wildcats was an AAU teammate of mine for bout 3-4 years a while back. He is usually the last one off the bench for Coach Cal.:D

I'm from Harlan and I have two...one I don't remember all of the details and probably is as much folk lore as truth, but there was a story about Wah Wah Jones going to UT to visit and then Rupp found out about it and basically "kidnapped" him to UK. The other was before the '86 barstorming stop at Cawood High School, Roger Harden played HORSE with me in my back yard...my neighbor was part of the UK Women's team and brought him over and then I got to eat dinner with him, Kenny Walker, and LeRoy Byrd after the game at the Western Sizzlin'. I was 13 and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

As someone noted it is Valerie Still Lock who is the all time leading scorer in Kentucky Basketball.

 

1983—Valerie Still became the all-time leading

scorer (among men and women) in Kentucky

basketball history with 2,763 points in 119

games, a record that still stands.

If they had a 3-point line when Louie Dampier (a Rupp Runt) played, he would have averaged 4-5 points more a game.

Adrian Smith is the only former UK player to win MVP of the NBA All-Star game.

As someone noted it is Valerie Still Lock who is the all time leading scorer in Kentucky Basketball.

 

1983—Valerie Still became the all-time leading

scorer (among men and women) in Kentucky

basketball history with 2,763 points in 119

games, a record that still stands.

 

And lady's basketball STILL sucks.

I figured a thread on this topic could be fun. I will start it off...

 

Dan Issel, the all-time leading scorer of the Kentucky Wildcats was initiated into the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity in 1968.

 

I didn't think Dan Issel would have to buy friends.:lol: JK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.