Academies, City and Open Enrollment Schools

BGGreen

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters to me it's no diffrent then what Ohio did by creating the GCL. Correct me if im wrong I have not researched in great detail so I could be off key a little. But please how can you say go open enrollment throughout the state.

Guru, I know you dont agree but its the truth you will have 300 football starts at Boone Co, 100 Baseball studs and Conner and so on and so on. Then your bring up the point of testing. What school gets all the stupid kids who cant pass the test to get into Ryle? I think everyone needs to take a step back and look at the importance of H.S. Education then H.S. Sports. It's not college no kid should be giving a grant/scholarship because he can simply run a 4.3 40. Im as big as a sports nut as the next guy. I also think H.S. sports are one the the most purest forms of sports around.

^

You obviously have know idea how the Catholic HS's handle their enrollments. They do NOT turn away kids. They have a 5 level educational system that allows the kids coming in to the program to be placed at their level of competency. The test that they take during their 8th grade year is a PLACEMENT TEST; not an enterance exam. (By the way this test is open to any 8th grader who wants to take the test.) The test is to see what level the student should be placed in for their best chance of successfully completing their education at their school of choice.

Either split them up or let these Private schools keep RECRUITING there players and waxing the public schools.

^

I don't think Coach Redman @ Male or Coach Nichols @ Manual would appreciate you saying they get waxed by the private schools. I beleive Trinity won against Manual just 2 weeks ago in the last few minutes of the game. They were down and came back to win by 4 points. I know last year St. X squeeeeeecked out a win 14 or 15 to 9 against Male and it took a goal line stand by St. X late in the game to stop Male from scoring.

Unless of course you consider those a waxing. But then you probably do consider that a waxing based on some of the other posts of yours I've read on this subject.

^

You obviously have know idea how the Catholic HS's handle their enrollments. They do NOT turn away kids. They have a 5 level educational system that allows the kids coming in to the program to be placed at their level of competency. The test that they take during their 8th grade year is a PLACEMENT TEST; not an enterance exam. (By the way this test is open to any 8th grader who wants to take the test.) The test is to see what level the student should be placed in for their best chance of successfully completing their education at their school of choice.

So, If I understand what you are saying, the student is placed in an educational track limited to his/her ability in the private school? How does a marginal student get pushed if automatically placed in a vocational track?

For starters to me it's no diffrent then what Ohio did by creating the GCL. Correct me if im wrong I have not researched in great detail so I could be off key a little. But please how can you say go open enrollment throughout the state.

Guru, I know you dont agree but its the truth you will have 300 football starts at Boone Co, 100 Baseball studs and Conner and so on and so on. Then your bring up the point of testing. What school gets all the stupid kids who cant pass the test to get into Ryle? I think everyone needs to take a step back and look at the importance of H.S. Education then H.S. Sports. It's not college no kid should be giving a grant/scholarship because he can simply run a 4.3 40. Im as big as a sports nut as the next guy. I also think H.S. sports are one the the most purest forms of sports around.

Either split them up or let these Private schools keep RECRUITING there players and waxing the public schools.

Sorry, your facts are just not straight!! The privates are NOT WAXING the publics. The only way to make your point is to bring up swimming, tennis, golf, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, etc.; and add in the girl's sports that a lot of schools don't even offer!!

A couple of 4-A football programs have become dominant, due to a variety of circumstances including the fact they are substantially larger than anyone else, and have built great infrasturctures as well. Come up with another argument, the dominance thing just doesn't hold water!!

Here's the problem I have with this, and someone touched on it earlier. H.S. football is supposed to be one of the purest forms of football around. I was talking with a friend of mine, and it seems to me that this has all become a bit of "big business", even in the last 10 years. I understand the validity of placement tests, as do institutions of higher education, that's why they use them. But this isn't college, this is a kids game. Who appointed anyone king and allowed them to decree the intelligence level of a 13 year old kid. Research has shown that if you put a marginally intelligent kid into a class with many very intelligent kids, the marginally intelligent kid will benefit. Aren't you pigeon-holing a kid at an awful early age? I understand that there is flexibility in the system, to move kids up and down, but if you tell a kid he is X smart, he's going to believe it, when he may have more potential than that. A comparison a friend of mine made was this: Before each season, how many teams say "State Champs" or something to the effect when ending practice. You don't see many people saying 5-5 or "winning record". We all know that some of these are just a pipe dream, but that's just it, let the kids dream, they are kids after all. Don't tell them they can't do something, they aren't smart enough, aren't good enough, let the kids dream.......

Here's the problem I have with this, and someone touched on it earlier. H.S. football is supposed to be one of the purest forms of football around. I was talking with a friend of mine, and it seems to me that this has all become a bit of "big business", even in the last 10 years. I understand the validity of placement tests, as do institutions of higher education, that's why they use them. But this isn't college, this is a kids game. Who appointed anyone king and allowed them to decree the intelligence level of a 13 year old kid. Research has shown that if you put a marginally intelligent kid into a class with many very intelligent kids, the marginally intelligent kid will benefit. Aren't you pigeon-holing a kid at an awful early age? I understand that there is flexibility in the system, to move kids up and down, but if you tell a kid he is X smart, he's going to believe it, when he may have more potential than that. A comparison a friend of mine made was this: Before each season, how many teams say "State Champs" or something to the effect when ending practice. You don't see many people saying 5-5 or "winning record". We all know that some of these are just a pipe dream, but that's just it, let the kids dream, they are kids after all. Don't tell them they can't do something, they aren't smart enough, aren't good enough, let the kids dream.......

Here is the reality shock to many on this site....What you just described in educational tracking and sorting is a very LIBERAL, Democrat effort. The Conservative, Republican operates under the current catch phrase "No Child Left Behind".... :thumb:

So, If I understand what you are saying, the student is placed in an educational track limited to his/her ability in the private school? How does a marginal student get pushed if automatically placed in a vocational track?

You're reading more into it that is there.

They are placed by ability in math and english. That's hardly a "vocational track".

At some schools, the lowest level class is still at a pretty good level. NDA, for example, only has one level below (for lack of a better term) "regular" in math and English.

Here is the reality shock to many on this site....What you just described in educational tracking and sorting is a very LIBERAL, Democrat effort. The Conservative, Republican operates under the current catch phrase "No Child Left Behind".... :thumb:

SS--Respecting your opinion on this matter, what's the difference of these two approaches?? Aren't both somewhat responsible for the "dumbing down" of our schools??

You're reading more into it that is there.

They are placed by ability in math and english. That's hardly a "vocational track".

At some schools, the lowest level class is still at a pretty good level. NDA, for example, only has one level below (for lack of a better term) "regular" in math and English.

So, in essence, if I applied this theory to football, I would take all the kids when they were freshmen and give them a "placement test", have them come out and bench, squat, run the 40, etc. Then I'd place them in 3 groups, starters, backups, and never starters. And then they'd only practice against kids in their "level". Wonder how that'd work out? :rolleyes:

So, in essence, if I applied this theory to football, I would take all the kids when they were freshmen and give them a "placement test", have them come out and bench, squat, run the 40, etc. Then I'd place them in 3 groups, starters, backups, and never starters. And then they'd only practice against kids in their "level". Wonder how that'd work out? :rolleyes:

Analogy from education and sports? What in the world is high school coming to? :creepy:

I do not accept education is dumbing down. Is there a time when education was better in this country?

So ignore my comment and explain how these two approaches differ, because I know what they mean to me; and I'd like a comparison from someone who knows the current educational system.