Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 102 Sam Houston State 92

Featured Replies

There hasn't been an Allmond with that many hits since Gregg was married to Cher

 

Can't believe there hasn't been a :laugh::laugh::laugh: for that comment yet. Very funny.

  • Replies 95
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I totally agree with you. You have to be patient and can't get caught up in the microwave world. It's all about what you do at the end anyway. I know the CATS got beat by VMI last year, I just thought they were more aggresive on the defensive end. I know that KY doesn't practice at Rupp everyday but when you got 23,000 people supporting you and making noise, that should make other teams have a tougher time of exucuting. Of course, if you are a team who is used to that and that is mentally tough, all that would do is be a motivator.

 

Only part of the bolded is true. Yeah there is 23,000 thousand people there, but there is also 22,000 there not making noise for the majority of the game. That is why Rupp really is not a tough place for a visiting team to play. Most of these kids even at smaller colleges have played at places that are a lot more hostile and just harder for them to play at than Rupp Arena. There is nothing intimidating about Rupp arena at all, and that won't change unless they make it a student first arena and have more students by the court. Which that also won't happen unless they get a new arena, and put like luxury box seats in so some of these older folks with money can sit up there, while the students get the seats closer to the court.

Only part of the bolded is true. Yeah there is 23,000 thousand people there, but there is also 22,000 there not making noise for the majority of the game. That is why Rupp really is not a tough place for a visiting team to play. Most of these kids even at smaller colleges have played at places that are a lot more hostile and just harder for them to play at than Rupp Arena. There is nothing intimidating about Rupp arena at all, and that won't change unless they make it a student first arena and have more students by the court. Which that also won't happen unless they get a new arena, and put like luxury box seats in so some of these older folks with money can sit up there, while the students get the seats closer to the court.

 

Totally agree... Rupp is a lot like the Grand Canyon... big. The rowdy people are up top with the exception of the erruption zone. I also think UK has a lot of AAU players out there now. Its an offensive show.

Foot was on the line.

 

He must have a big foot.

102 points scored by UK... and UK had one offensive highlight on Sportscenter.

Coach Cal's teams play good defense. This team has so many players coming out of High School and all are new to his system that the defense is behind the offense at this time. A lot of his early focus has been on the dribble drive. He was clearly upset many times at the defensive effort. When the game is up and down the floor with quick shots it requires not only good individual offensive skills but good individual defensive skills. It also requires the team to play as a team on the defensive end. By the end of the year I believe our defense will be reallly good.

I see him in the NBA sooner rather then later...

 

Big Cuz and Wall will be Top 10 picks next year in the draft. :cry:

It seems like I head somewhere that Cal didn't really start putting the defense in until a few weeks into practice. It certainly seems that way, but hopefully it means they'll start playing a little tougher.

 

Its definitely nice to have the firepower to let a team put up 92, but never really be a threat.

We have talked about this a lot on here the last few years, and as I have said a lot of times Rupp arena really is not much of a homecourt advantage. People try to say it was just because the teams weren't that good, or the style didn't get the crowd into it. However as we see now, that is not the case. There is just nothing scary about playing in Rupp. Its basically like playing in a NBA arena during the regular season. Its basically quiet, with everyone sitting on their butts watching the game. In today college basketball world these smaller colleges probably play at more intimidating places in there own conference and louder than Rupp. Or coarse people are going to have good shooting days when a place is just quiet all the time. Until UK finally realizes that they need to put more students around the court, then its not going to be intimidating at all for people to play at Rupp. If you put more students around down by the court, then you would see the atmosphere there be a lot better.

 

Cats have a .88 winning percentage at Rupp since it opened. It must have been a pretty decent homecourt advantage at some point. Wonder what happened?

Cats have a .88 winning percentage at Rupp since it opened. It must have been a pretty decent homecourt advantage at some point. Wonder what happened?

People can say whatever they want about intimidating environments and how Rupp Arena sucks because people do not trance jump like they do at Cameron. If you have a better team, you are going to win the majority of your games. UNC's place is very similar. UK has lost more recently at home because... you guessed it, UK was not as good.

Cal clearly said on his postgame show that the defense stinks and the freshmen and some sophomores still think they are playing on an AAU team. He knows it, he's working on it, but it is November. He also said they have another game in 36 hours (as of last night) and there is only so much you could do in that time. He said he was more upset by the fact that this team looks physically soft. He prides himself on hard teams and this team is no where near that yet. I pretty much nodded my head all throughout his show because he said everything I was thinking and more. I have all the trust in the world in Cal that he will get this team straightened out.

Does anyone know SMSU's points off turnovers last night? I think they problem guarding the three is due to turnovers and bad transition defense. I see a ton of three's attempted on fast breaks and secondary breaks. Their transition defense is what I see as really bad not so much their half court defense.

  • Author
Does anyone know SMSU's points off turnovers last night? I think they problem guarding the three is due to turnovers and bad transition defense. I see a ton of three's attempted on fast breaks and secondary breaks. Their transition defense is what I see as really bad not so much their half court defense.

 

 

Yes, their transition defense is awful, but so is the half court defense. They had most of their 3's from the half court set though.

I am glad in getting the "W" but I believe the defense certainly has a long way to go. Offensively this team will come around more and more the longer they get paying time together, they are still learning each other along with the system. Playing defense is mostly hustle and desire and I don't think we showed that, especially getting out on a three point shooter. Our overall defense HAS TO improve! Yes, they could shoot the ball and so could Miami but it is much easier to shoot when no one is guarding you or getting out to contest a shot. This was the 2nd game in a row that we were burned by the three. A team has to play defense to beat anyone that is any good at all. This U.K. team imo is fine on "D" when the are showing their superior athletic skills and coming from behind, catch up and block a shot,etc.. My concerns are that they are lazy in playing basic/fundamental defense and getting out on the shooters. Playing lazy/bad defense will get us beat down the road and I feel sure that coach will address that in upcoming practices. Coach Cal was livid last night on them not getting out on a shooter and I don't blame him.

 

As for some of the high points last night I think Cousins was very good, something like 28pt, 18reb and I forgot how many blocked shots. I don't know what Coach Cal said to him at halftime of the previous game but he sure lit a fire under him. I thought Miller played much better and Walls, Patterson and Bledsoe all were good offensively.

U.K. shot 60% from the field and 50% from the three point range, both very good and I'll take that any day. Free throw shooting was 65.5%, that definately needs to go up.

Overall I was like others in that I am glad with the win but poor defense and poor free throw shooting will catch up and get us beat.

I am also looking foward to not if.......rather when this U.K. team puts it all together! They will be "scary good", this team has got more pure athletic abilty than I have seen in quite some time in Lexington.

 

Rider is up next on Saturday.........

 

GO BIG BLUE!!!!! :ylsuper::ylsuper:

"Envy Our Past, Fear Our Future"

The problems UK is having right now is a mixture of new coach vs young team. After about 15 games these kids will start playing like thay should. Alot of our stud players were high schoolers last year. They didn't have to play DEFENSE. And took plays off when they got a little tired. They are learning how to play every second of every minute. And that takes time. They just need programed!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.