Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mercer County's Next Coach

Featured Replies

Let's try this again without dwelling on the past...

 

 

I know for a fact that a lot of people want current Mason County coach David Buchanan to take the job. Mercer County is home to him and I know he goes way back with current Athletic Director Todd Davis and his sister works for the Mercer County school system as well. Some people have posted that he has already turned the job down. If it isn't going to be Buchanan, who would be the front runner? Based on what I hear from people in the community, I wonder if anyone besides Buchanan would be embraced.

  • Replies 193
  • Views 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard Buchanan's name mentioned a lot too. He seems to be the one the community is talking about, but I don't see him leaving Mason Co this late. I think it would be hard for any coach to leave his team in June and then try to get another program going in a couple of months. Now... if this were January then I'd say Mercer would be in a better position to get a proven head coach like Buchanan.

 

I've been told the principal is forming a committee and they're going to take applications. Don't have a clue when they're going to start interviewing. I think it will be extremely hard for them to get a big pool of apps to choose from considering the timing of this. I'm not sure how this sets with top asst. Bill Mason. He is a good guy and wants the job, but he'll have to apply just like anybody else from what I hear. I also saw someone posted that Bill is not going to coach at Mercer next year and is looking for another job. Can anybody verify this?

 

I've said it before, this is too big a hire for the school to screw up. I hope they search far and wide for the best coach and don't settle just because of the timing of it.

 

Does anybody know who is running practice right now?

I hope Bill Mason is hired. The players like him as well as the rest of the coaching staff.

Could this season see a type of "interim" situation, followed by Mercer making a strong push for an established coach like Buchanan after this season ends?

Could this season see a type of "interim" situation, followed by Mercer making a strong push for an established coach like Buchanan after this season ends?

 

I think that would be the "smart play." :thumb:

Buchanan would be a solid hire.

  • Author
I've heard Buchanan's name mentioned a lot too. He seems to be the one the community is talking about, but I don't see him leaving Mason Co this late. I think it would be hard for any coach to leave his team in June and then try to get another program going in a couple of months. Now... if this were January then I'd say Mercer would be in a better position to get a proven head coach like Buchanan.

 

I've been told the principal is forming a committee and they're going to take applications. Don't have a clue when they're going to start interviewing. I think it will be extremely hard for them to get a big pool of apps to choose from considering the timing of this. I'm not sure how this sets with top asst. Bill Mason. He is a good guy and wants the job, but he'll have to apply just like anybody else from what I hear. I also saw someone posted that Bill is not going to coach at Mercer next year and is looking for another job. Can anybody verify this?

 

I've said it before, this is too big a hire for the school to screw up. I hope they search far and wide for the best coach and don't settle just because of the timing of it.

 

Does anybody know who is running practice right now?

 

 

 

I was told Bill Mason is running practice.

But that is the character of Bill...he will do the right thing for the kids....even if he is going to leave. He is all about the kids.

  • Author
Where is Coach Jaggers?

 

He resigned.

 

That's all I am going to say about that. The last thread about Marty is gone and I have no desire to go down that road again.

I think that would be the "smart play." :thumb:

 

I second that.:thumb::thumb:

What about a guy like Dennis Johnson?

  • Author
What about a guy like Dennis Johnson?

 

That's an interesting question. Is he interested in coaching? I don't know if he has enough experience to be a head coach. Is he a teacher or in education? Mercer County has said that their next football coach will teach in the school. Given he always has his father as an unlimited resource, he'd be an interesting choice.

Given he always has his father as an unlimited resource, he'd be an interesting choice.

 

With that being said, what about Alvis? I think he's had some recent health issues, but he might be a good temporary fix.

 

I still think Mercer should go with an interim and then throw the kitchen sink at David Buchanan next winter.

I still think Mercer should go with an interim and then throw the kitchen sink at David Buchanan next winter.
Isn't that why Jaggers is no longer the coach? They wouldn't continue to allow him to have the kitchen sink.

 

I think Mercer has made it pretty clear they want coaches that are going to teach a full load without the opportunity to make extra money in a cake job like Jaggers had. If they weren't going to give that sink to Jaggers, I have a hard time believing they will give it to anyone else.

 

Sounds like Mercer has developed apathy towards athletics. Which isn't a shock because there are very few districts in Kentucky that aren't that way. It is also the reason the same handful of schools continue to show up in the state championship games.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.