Puppy Mills

PutMeInCoach

http://stoppuppymills.org/

The reasons you should stay away from them.

1. They are horrible places and by buying from one you are supporting them.

2. Your dog will most likely be severely inbreed and have a slew of health problems.

Also remember that any pet store puppy is more than likely from a puppy mill.

If they sell them at a pet store do they have to tell you where they got the puppy from?

It is very easy to find nice people and reputable breeders both on line and locally.

What kind of dog are you wanting? Know anybody that has one? If you do, there's a good chance they know where you can get the same breed.

Does it have to be a pure bred or is a mutt ok? I have had both. Currently I have a mutt, and she's the best I've ever had.

Lot of dog lovers here on BGP that will be happy to help steer you towards your new family member.

I have a mutt and i'm fine with another one, but she would prefer a purebred.. She wants a Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13469367

This is the one she fell in love with but the puppy mill survivor had me iffy..

I don't know enough about the breed to know what the concerns might be. Do some research, I have seen people spends hundreds and often thousands in vet bills on poorly bred dogs that they have fallen in love with.

I do know a lady who breeds Yorkshire and Silky Terriers. I don't know if she has any available or if she might have some watch outs to look for. I'll try to get a hold of her tommorrow.

I have a mutt and i'm fine with another one, but she would prefer a purebred.. She wants a Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie.

I know the feeling that you can "save" the dog is compelling but I would urge to you stay away. If it came from a puppy mill there are good chances that it will have serious lasting health problems it's entire life.

I do know a lady who breeds Yorkshire and Silky Terriers. I don't know if she has any available or if she might have some watch outs to look for. I'll try to get a hold of her tommorrow.

That would be awesome, thank you.

I know the feeling that you can "save" the dog is compelling but I would urge to you stay away. If it came from a puppy mill there are good chances that it will have serious lasting health problems it's entire life.

I think thats the route we are going to take, find a breeder or what not.

I don't know enough about the breed to know what the concerns might be. Do some research, I have seen people spends hundreds and often thousands in vet bills on poorly bred dogs that they have fallen in love with.

I agree with CWF that I don't know enough about Yorkies to know what health problems may be encountered. Here is my personal example.

I bought a Goldendoodle, I know that any dog of their size has a tendency towards having hip dysplasia and eye problems. It may have cost a little more money, but I refused to buy a pup who didn't have OFA certifications for their hips/elbows plus CERF certifications for their eyes.

If you are going to buy a purebred I would recommend that you research the breed very thoroughly and refuse to buy from a breeder who doesn't get those health certifications for the particular breed.

Also, make sure you go to several breeders and ask a lot of questions. Personally I went to four different breeders and settled on one who satisfied the questions the best and had the necessary certifications. Once I was satisfied I had found the correct breeder, then I met the puppies.

My mother in law did the same thing years ago--fell in love with a Yorkie puppy from a pet store. He was adorable but absolutely nuts, seriously. He had a seizure disorder and had to take a pill every day of his life or he would literally fall into the floor and seize for several minutes. He had major aggression issues and guarded his food like a madman. He was a biter, at times completely unprovoked. To say the least, he had more than a few screws loose. By all means, stay away from the pet stores. The puppies have no socialization and you can tell it by their behavior, not to mention the problems with inbreeding. The only way to put those horrid puppy mill people out of business is for people to quit buying their products.

I agree with CWF that I don't know enough about Yorkies to know what health problems may be encountered. Here is my personal example.

I bought a Goldendoodle, I know that any dog of their size has a tendency towards having hip dysplasia and eye problems. It may have cost a little more money, but I refused to buy a pup who didn't have OFA certifications for their hips/elbows plus CERF certifications for their eyes.

If you are going to buy a purebred I would recommend that you research the breed very thoroughly and refuse to buy from a breeder who doesn't get those health certifications for the particular breed.

Also, make sure you go to several breeders and ask a lot of questions. Personally I went to four different breeders and settled on one who satisfied the questions the best and had the necessary certifications. Once I was satisfied I had found the correct breeder, then I met the puppies.

:thumb:My Australian Labradoodle has all his certs, as well. No way would I have purchased one otherwise. I also have his pedigree listings from 6 generations, so I can see he is not a product of inbreeding. He is the smartest, best family pet I could ever imagine.

As for puppy mills, I will tell you this. If you get a dog from a pet shop, flea market, some guy on the side of the road, or a stand set up in the parking lot of Wal-Mart, you're more than likely buying a puppy mill dog. The only real way to be sure you're not buying a puppy mill dog is to buy from a reputable breeder and when you go to check out the pups, check out the living conditions of the dogs at that breeder.

Here is a a description of the Yorkie taken from dogbreedinfo.com, please read it before buying a Yorkie. Make sure this is what you're looking for in a dog and have the time needed to properly train it. Keep in mind that a Yorkie is a Yorkshire TERRIER, personally, I do not like terriers, I think they're too energetic and destructive:

The Yorkshire Terrier seems oblivious of its small size. It is ever eager for adventure. This little dog is highly energetic, brave, loyal and clever. With owners who take the time to understand how to treat a small dog, the Yorkie is a wonderful companion! Affectionate with its master, but if humans are not this dog's pack leader, it can become suspicious of strangers and aggressive to strange dogs and small animals. It can also become yappy, as the dog does his best to tell you what HE wants YOU to do. It has true terrier heritage which needs someone who understand how to be it's leader. They are recommended for older, considerate children, simply because they are so small, most people allow them to get away with behaviors no dog should display. This changes the dogs temperament, as the dog starts to take over the house. Yorkies who become demanding and dependant appearing to need a lot of human attention and/or developing jealous behaviors, become snappish if surprised, frightened or over-teased, have owners who need to rethink how they are treating the dog. Owners who do not instinctually meet the dogs needs can also find them to become over-protective, and become neurotic. Yorkies are easy to train, although they can sometimes be stubborn if owners do not give the dog proper boundaries. They can be difficult to housebreak. The Yorkie is an excellent watchdog. When owners display pack leadership to the Yorkshire Terrier, they are very sweet and loving and can be trusted with children. The problems only arise when owners, because of the dogs cute little size, allow them to take over the house. The human will not even realize it, however know, if you have any of the negative behaviors listed above, it's time to look into your pack leader skills. These are truly sweet little dogs who need owners who understand how to give them gentle leadership. If you own a Yorkie who does not display any of the negative behaviors, high five for being a good pack leader!

Our son bought our little Boxer dog, Belle, who is now 9 months from a NKY pet store who I will not name. She was underweight, had a terrible cough and the pet store said it was because she was almost 3 months old and being in the cage all day and needed exercise. It took about 2 months to get the crap out of her lungs with antibiotics and a mound of vet bills for our son. He was trying to find a companion for our older boxer after our little terrier died from old age.