April 13, 200917 yr What last two pg's are lottery picks from Cal? Rose is one, who is the other? It can't be Evans, he hasn't been drafted yet. UK is the best place because why......that has yet to be answered. Coach K has sent more people to the NBA than Cal has. Coach K has coached a number of point guards who went to the next level. Besides Rose, who has Cal coached and developed into an NBA pg? I don't see where UK and Cal are a better fit. Not to mention, Duke and Carolina are closer to his mother. Both Duke and Carolina have sent more than their share of players to the next level. According to most critics, despite having the most wins in this present decade, Duke is down, so Wall can come and resurrect the Duke program the same way he can ressurect the UK program, but then again, Cal is resurrecting the program, not Wall, so he is a much better fit at Duke now, right..... Whereas I'm not one to say UK is the only great fit for Wall, I think your comparisons at the top are a little apples to oranges. K has been at this a LOT, a LOT longer than Cal. He ought to have more players going to the NBA. :lol: I think with the run of Rose and now Evans, coupled with I think 7 or so players drafted from his teams in the last few years - that's what most of the kids today look at. The truth is that it's been a while since Duke had a great PG. Jay Williams left the building in 2002 and though he may have been a great star in the NBA, his terrible injury leaves his name out of the limelight for kids today who watch the NBA growing up as much or more than the NCAA. I think Wall can fit into either Duke or UK very well and have said so. UNC, with the recruitment of Strickland, will be more of a playing time issue than in Durham or Lexington. But UNC has had some mighty fine PG's of late for Wall to see. Much more so than Duke and many times more than UK if not for Calipari's presence.
April 13, 200917 yr Whereas I'm not one to say UK is the only great fit for Wall, I think your comparisons at the top are a little apples to oranges. K has been at this a LOT, a LOT longer than Cal. He ought to have more players going to the NBA. :lol: I think with the run of Rose and now Evans, coupled with I think 7 or so players drafted from his teams in the last few years - that's what most of the kids today look at. The truth is that it's been a while since Duke had a great PG. Jay Williams left the building in 2002 and though he may have been a great star in the NBA, his terrible injury leaves his name out of the limelight for kids today who watch the NBA growing up as much or more than the NCAA. I think Wall can fit into either Duke or UK very well and have said so. UNC, with the recruitment of Strickland, will be more of a playing time issue than in Durham or Lexington. But UNC has had some mighty fine PG's of late for Wall to see. Much more so than Duke and many times more than UK if not for Calipari's presence. Okay then, start the counter in 1994, who has sent more guys to the NBA, Coach K or Coach Cal. Plus, the previous poster mentioned the last 2 pg's Cal has had were lottery picks in the NBA. I only recall 1. It has been a while since we have had a good pg, but Chris Duhon took over after Jay Williams and he turned out nicely. After Duhon, pg play has left much to be desired as far as becoming successful at the NBA level. It really all depends on what he wants and who knows what that is. If he wants to be seen as a savior and truly be treated like a king for a year, he goes to UK. If he wants to be coached by one of the greatest coaches of all time with the support of the Cameron Crazies he goes to Duke, if he wants to take on the pressure of trying to repeat he goes to UNC. We'll see what happens.
April 13, 200917 yr Okay then, start the counter in 1994, who has sent more guys to the NBA, Coach K or Coach Cal. Plus, the previous poster mentioned the last 2 pg's Cal has had were lottery picks in the NBA. I only recall 1. It has been a while since we have had a good pg, but Chris Duhon took over after Jay Williams and he turned out nicely. After Duhon, pg play has left much to be desired as far as becoming successful at the NBA level. It really all depends on what he wants and who knows what that is. If he wants to be seen as a savior and truly be treated like a king for a year, he goes to UK. If he wants to be coached by one of the greatest coaches of all time with the support of the Cameron Crazies he goes to Duke, if he wants to take on the pressure of trying to repeat he goes to UNC. We'll see what happens. Not sure why so defensive for Coach K. I never said he wasn't great. Again, compare a coach whose coaching in a major conference versus a coach who has been in two less than major conferences. What do you expect in the amount of talent who would go to a UMass or Memphis? Come on. We could say how many games has Coack K won in the NBA? But that wouldn't be fair either, would it? Duhon is having a break out year this year for the Knicks but he's been off the college scene going on six years next year. Wall would have been about 12 when he last wore the Duke colors. The truth is that Duke has never produced a superstar PG that translated that career into the NBA (I know not all has been the player's performances). Truth is Derrick Rose is currently averaging nearly 17 ppg and 6 assists in his rookie campaign. He is the reason the Bulls traded Duhon. I'm just saying that on this site the guru's of college athletics tell us time and again that most all of these kinds of superstar kids care only about what have you produced for me lately. Who is hot that they see now and want what they have. Rose translates a lot better than Duhon or other PG's. BTW, I don't think Wall; should he come to UK, will be choosing Kentucky as much as Coach Cal. Probably 99% Cal and maybe 1% UK if that. :thumb:
April 13, 200917 yr Not sure why so defensive for Coach K. I never said he wasn't great. Again, compare a coach whose coaching in a major conference versus a coach who has been in two less than major conferences. What do you expect in the amount of talent who would go to a UMass or Memphis? Come on. We could say how many games has Coack K won in the NBA? But that wouldn't be fair either, would it? Duhon is having a break out year this year for the Knicks but he's been off the college scene going on six years next year. Wall would have been about 12 when he last wore the Duke colors. The truth is that Duke has never produced a superstar PG that translated that career into the NBA (I know not all has been the player's performances). Truth is Derrick Rose is currently averaging nearly 17 ppg and 6 assists in his rookie campaign. He is the reason the Bulls traded Duhon. I'm just saying that on this site the guru's of college athletics tell us time and again that most all of these kinds of superstar kids care only about what have you produced for me lately. Who is hot that they see now and want what they have. Rose translates a lot better than Duhon or other PG's. BTW, I don't think Wall; should he come to UK, will be choosing Kentucky as much as Coach Cal. Probably 99% Cal and maybe 1% UK if that. :thumb: :thumb: Very well said on all points!:notworthy:
April 13, 200917 yr All your reasons are true that UK is a good fit for him except for one thing. If he wants to stay close to home then that is where UK will fall short in landing Wall. I think the NBA schedule is a lot longer and travel is way worse than college. I truly don't think a "one and done" lottery pick player chooses a college based on proximity to home. It makes for good fodder and a smoke screen to allow him to make up his mind. Jmo.
April 13, 200917 yr I think it will be a good week for UK fans... Are you speaking in terms of recruits in general or specifically just Mr. Wall?
April 13, 200917 yr Where did you get lost at, I'll walk you through it.....:walk: I read it over a couple more times and get it now. Honestly, and please don't take this wrong, it was just how it was organized. A bunch of short thoughts combined into one paragraph made it a little hard for me to follow. No big deal though. :thumb:
April 13, 200917 yr Are you speaking in terms of recruits in general or specifically just Mr. Wall? :idunno:
April 13, 200917 yr Well I am glad GT's news is positive, it makes me feel a little better because if he says it then it must be true. All I know is decisions are going to be made very soon. This time next week hopefully UK's roster looks a little bit different. Like I said I've just been hearing that they, meaning Henry and Wall, will be deciding soon but I haven't heard definitive things about where they would be heading. People have just been trying to connect the dots but we all know how that goes sometimes. I'm really hoping GT has heard something that I haven't because that would make my day.
April 13, 200917 yr Well I am glad GT's news is positive, it makes me feel a little better because if he says it then it must be true. All I know is decisions are going to be made very soon. This time next week hopefully UK's roster looks a little bit different. Like I said I've just been hearing that they, meaning Henry and Wall, will be deciding soon but I haven't heard definitive things about where they would be heading. People have just been trying to connect the dots but we all know how that goes sometimes. I'm really hoping GT has heard something that I haven't because that would make my day. Chances are, he has.:clap:
April 13, 200917 yr My prediction for what it is worth. We get Wall and Henry. We lose Orton to Kansas.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.