Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where does the 09' UNC team rank?

Featured Replies

I was just thinking about talk in the early part of the season about this years UNC team being amoung college basketball's best ever. As for me they would rank amoung some of the best that I can remember watching. Who are some of the teams that others think are the best they have seen. I'll go with these teams that I have seen and can remember, I am sure that I will forget some others as well.

 

1996 Kentucky

1976 Indiana

1990 UNLV

2001, 1991? Duke

1978 Kentucky

2009 North Carolina

Also, some of J. Wooden's UCLA NC teams... (I can't rmember the exact years but some of the ones with Walton, Alcindor, Wilkes amoung many others were just awesome basketball teams)

 

What say you?

  • Replies 50
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are probably top 10, but not top 5, IMO.

I don't think this team was as good as Roy's first title team.

 

JMO

 

Also, would put them behind Florida's back-to-back title winners. Simply put, this year's Tar Heels doesn't enter my list for consideration as the best team ever.

I don't think this team was as good as Roy's first title team.

 

JMO

 

Also, would put them behind Florida's back-to-back title winners. Simply put, this year's Tar Heels doesn't enter my list for consideration as the best team ever.

 

Actually, I would say they are top 25, but not top 10 after thinking about it.

I don't think this team was as good as Roy's first title team.

 

JMO

 

Also, would put them behind Florida's back-to-back title winners. Simply put, this year's Tar Heels doesn't enter my list for consideration as the best team ever.

 

I really don't care, but I like comparing this team to the 05 team. IMO I think UNLV was the best team ever.

I was just thinking about talk in the early part of the season about this years UNC team being amoung college basketball's best ever. As for me they would rank amoung some of the best that I can remember watching. Who are some of the teams that others think are the best they have seen. I'll go with these teams that I have seen and can remember, I am sure that I will forget some others as well.

 

1996 Kentucky

1976 Indiana

1990 UNLV

2001, 1991? Duke

1978 Kentucky

2009 North Carolina

Also, some of J. Wooden's UCLA NC teams... (I can't rmember the exact years but some of the ones with Walton, Alcindor, Wilkes amoung many others were just awesome basketball teams)

 

What say you?

 

Someone already mentioned this, but I think the 05 UNC team was better than this years UNC team. Also the Florida teams was better to IMO. They were a really good team, but not one of the best ever. I would say top 20 though.

I think a lot are prisoner of the moment with their good run through the tournament. I have no idea where they would rank, but it would not be in discussion with the all time great teams.

I think a lot are prisoner of the moment with their good run through the tournament. I have no idea where they would rank, but it would not be in discussion with the all time great teams.

 

I like that answer.

 

Often times we remember a team for a tourney run but not for the body of work in the whole season.

 

I think this UNC team lost 3 games which isn't bad but can you say a 3 loss team is one of the Top 5 or 10 in the last 25 or 30 years? I don't know. They were deep, athletic, and could score. And when the concentrated on playing defense (tourney) they were devestating. I was wondering who they compared to UK in '96 and it would have been interesting.

 

If we go the last 20 years only the one's that stick out to me are:

 

'96 UK We know all about them.

'90 UNLV (But '91 was really better and the '90 team lost 5 games that season. Can we include them with those losses? They, like this UNC team, went on a torrent run through the NCAA tourney.)

'92 Duke UK fans know all about them as well. Experienced, smart, athletic and tough.

''06-'07 Gators. Great mix but I believe the sum of their parts was greater than the whole.

'05 Heels Like this one, deep and talented inside and out. Didn't romp through the tourney like this one did though.

'99 UConn. Underated. Upset an awesome Duke club but they posted a record not too many notches below the Devils. Rip Hamilton and company were better than most remember.

'09 UNC. Great PG, Strong inside, Great from the wings and 3 land. They have to be in the conversation.

This team played out of its mind in the 1st half. A team is never as good as it best game. This was by far the best game they played. Matchup issues all over the court for MSU. I believe many are overating this team. Some will jump on this bandwagon for a while but IMO, this team just came together at the right time and got it done as a unit.

  • Author
I think a lot are prisoner of the moment with their good run through the tournament. I have no idea where they would rank, but it would not be in discussion with the all time great teams.

 

You could very well be right about that. I personally believe that the 96' Kentucky, the 76' Indiana and 90' UNLV teams were the best that I have seen.

I think this UNC squad is very comparable to the 96 Cats, they dominated the tourney, winning by double digits every round, and have 8-10 future NBA'ers.

 

It's hard to rank championship teams, but 96 Cats, 90 UNLV and this UNC squad are three of the most impressive I've seen.

I think the 2005 UNC version was better than this year's version and I wouldn't put this team in the top 10 of all time teams.

 

In my lifetime(born in 74') I would have to say, in no particular order.....

 

91 92 2001 Duke(all 3 of these teams were better than this year's heels team, and 2005 for that matter.)

 

90 & 91 UNLV (IMO the best college basketball teams I have ever seen, I really want to know the story behind the Duke loss, as a Duke fan, that loss is still one of the greatest upsets in college basketball history)

 

96 UK

 

06-07 Florida (only team since 91-92 Duke to repeat so they deserve to be mention amongst the greatest.)

 

These are the teams that stand out that I can remember. I'd have to do a lot of research to give you a complete answer, but I think these teams I mentioned were better than this year's heels team.

Not top 25 imo. Top 50 possibly, there have been some teams that have the dominance in their eyes and this team didn't. They didn't go into the tournament as the number one over all team. I mean if they were that good like an old UCLA or UK team then they would of been more consistent over the season. They are good just not extremely impressive to me.

Take Lawson away and the team disappears, most GREAT teams don't drop off this much after the loss of one player. I know he is important but take any starter off the 96' UK team or any player off the UNLV team and they are still good. It hurts them but doesn't kill these teams. I mean 97' UK team lost their,imo, 2nd best player during the tournament and didn't play and they still got to the finals. I don't see this team beating a 97' team with a healthy Anderson and this team isn't in the top 10 all time.

Just for a little comparison...

 

04-05 Key Players for UNC

Raymond Felton

Marvin Williams

Rashad McCants

David Noel

Sean May

 

08-09 Key Players for UNC

Ty Lawson

Danny Green

Deon Thompson

Wayne Ellington

Tyler Hansbrough

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.