April 8, 200917 yr Lawson is the only one on the 2009 heels that I would take over anyone on the 2005 heels. After Lawson, I don't think the rest of 2009 is even close to 2005. You would take Lawson over Felton? I think people forget how good Felton was while he was in college. Both players were great pgs, I would give the edge to Felton though.
April 8, 200917 yr The same could be said about the 96' teams tournament run. What good teams did they play along the way to setting the record for margin of victory in the tourney? UNLV was very awesome that season. I got lost on your last one. You would put this year's heels at the top? I think a game between UNLV and this year's heels would have been fun to watch for the first half. Larry Johnson, David Butler, and George Ackles would have abused Tyler Hansbrough down low the entire game, Stacey Augmon would have abused and confused Danny Green, Anderson Hunt and Ellington would end in a draw, maybe, and Greg Anthony would have forced Ty Lawson into Larry Johnson so many times that Ty Lawson would eventually quit driving the lane and UNLV would end up demolishing them, IMO. Who knows though, I'd love to watch that UNLV team play again. My last comment was the number of athletes that would have run with UNLV that UNC posseses, not they were better. As to the '96 team and who'd they beat might be a fair question. They beat the ACC champs in Wake Forest (Tim Duncan) by 20. It was a game the Cats led by that much at HALFTIME. They defeated UMass in the Final Four who was actually the higher seed and 35-1. Syracuse finished 3rd or so in a very good Big East (Uconn had Ray Allen, Villanova was good, Georgtown and Allen Iverson). If you go into the regular season they did demolish a good Georgia Tech squad with Stephan Marbury and Matt Harpring. It's easy to play these games. It's really just a fact that I think UK and UNLV would have been a great match between those two. UNLV was not as deep but that first 5 were special. Both averaged over 90 points a game and played some pretty special defense. Sorry if I ruffled in Duke feathers on the comment about the '90 Duke squad. THose were just the facts of that team. K did a great job getting them there and matured them in '91 to set up the great upset. That's all I was saying by that.
April 8, 200917 yr You would take Lawson over Felton? I think people forget how good Felton was while he was in college. Both players were great pgs, I would give the edge to Felton though. I think they're similar players. I just think Lawson is better.
April 8, 200917 yr UNLV did blow Arkansas out in a much hyped #1 vs. #2 showdown. Mayberry, Day, Miller and the rest at Arkansas were known for being an up-tempo team. UNLV showed them what up-tempo was that day. I'm pretty sure that was the year they lost to Duke in the Final Four. But, I think it's a good indicator of just how great that team was, because that Arkansas team was far from a pushover.
April 8, 200917 yr I am as die hard Kentucky as anyone, but the 1978 team wasn't a top team. You have to consider some of the UCLA teams, they had Bill Walton or Kareem, something that is unstoppable especially in todays game a good big man with post moves that can score. Also the 2001 Duke team I dis-agree with them as well. The 1992 duke team was a good team, I think the 1994 Razorbacks could play with a lot of people too.
April 8, 200917 yr You would take Lawson over Felton? I think people forget how good Felton was while he was in college. Both players were great pgs, I would give the edge to Felton though. I would. I am not sure that Felton was better than Lawson in any category.
April 9, 200917 yr That 2001 Duke team was nasty. They had Jay Will, Boozer, Dunleavy, Duhon, and Dantay Jones. That team was loaded with talent. Overall lately, that 2004/2005 UNC team was probably one of if not the best team of all time.
April 9, 200917 yr I would. I am not sure that Felton was better than Lawson in any category. I think they're similar players. I just think Lawson is better. I really think this is more of a case of people just thinking of the now, and what they remember most recently. You are right 5wide they are very similar players, both very quick, strong, and could get to the whole any time they wanted. The difference for me is that even though Lawson got better at shooting through his career, Felton was still a better shooter than Lawson, and Felton was able to do the other things as well. If Felton was the most recent one playing in college, I think you all would be saying Felton as well. Lawson had an unbelievable tournament, so that just makes him stand out more right now.
April 9, 200917 yr My last comment was the number of athletes that would have run with UNLV that UNC posseses, not they were better. As to the '96 team and who'd they beat might be a fair question. They beat the ACC champs in Wake Forest (Tim Duncan) by 20. It was a game the Cats led by that much at HALFTIME. They defeated UMass in the Final Four who was actually the higher seed and 35-1. Syracuse finished 3rd or so in a very good Big East (Uconn had Ray Allen, Villanova was good, Georgtown and Allen Iverson). If you go into the regular season they did demolish a good Georgia Tech squad with Stephan Marbury and Matt Harpring. It's easy to play these games. It's really just a fact that I think UK and UNLV would have been a great match between those two. UNLV was not as deep but that first 5 were special. Both averaged over 90 points a game and played some pretty special defense. Sorry if I ruffled in Duke feathers on the comment about the '90 Duke squad. THose were just the facts of that team. K did a great job getting them there and matured them in '91 to set up the great upset. That's all I was saying by that. Forget all that I said, I thought you were talking about UNC running with the Rebels, not the 96' UK team when you had made the previous statement about watching the two teams play. I agree wholeheartedly, 96 UK and 90-91 UNLV would be a great game. I do agree with that. My fault. No Duke feathers ruffled here, the game is what it was, a complete and total mismatch that they built from. :thumb: That was a very impressive run by the 96 squad seeing who they beat in the tourney. I was unsure of who they had played.
April 9, 200917 yr I really think this is more of a case of people just thinking of the now, and what they remember most recently. You are right 5wide they are very similar players, both very quick, strong, and could get to the whole any time they wanted. The difference for me is that even though Lawson got better at shooting through his career, Felton was still a better shooter than Lawson, and Felton was able to do the other things as well. If Felton was the most recent one playing in college, I think you all would be saying Felton as well. Lawson had an unbelievable tournament, so that just makes him stand out more right now. I have watched Ty Lawson terrorize Duke for the last 3 years now the same way he terrorized the nation these past few weeks. I remember Felton very well, but I also remember McCants, May and Williams so Felton didn't have to do much heavy lifting. Ty Lawson made UNC go, when he was on the court, it was obvious who the best player was and who the leader of the team was. That's why I would take Lawson.
April 9, 200917 yr I have watched Ty Lawson terrorize Duke for the last 3 years now the same way he terrorized the nation these past few weeks. I remember Felton very well, but I also remember McCants, May and Williams so Felton didn't have to do much heavy lifting. Ty Lawson made UNC go, when he was on the court, it was obvious who the best player was and who the leader of the team was. That's why I would take Lawson. Felton had better players around him, so he didn't have to do as much. However I believe if he was on this team he would have have led them to a title like Lawson. Felton was able to get to the basket anytime he wanted like Lawson. He was quick and strong, played defense, and well could shoot better than Lawson. They really honestly are very similar, except Felton was the better shooter. The other things were basically even though. Just the shooting gives Felton the edge.
April 9, 200917 yr The four best teams that I have seen: 1990 - UNLV 1996 - Kentucky 2001 - Duke 2009 - UNC
April 9, 200917 yr My last comment was the number of athletes that would have run with UNLV that UNC posseses, not they were better. As to the '96 team and who'd they beat might be a fair question. They beat the ACC champs in Wake Forest (Tim Duncan) by 20. It was a game the Cats led by that much at HALFTIME. They defeated UMass in the Final Four who was actually the higher seed and 35-1. Syracuse finished 3rd or so in a very good Big East (Uconn had Ray Allen, Villanova was good, Georgtown and Allen Iverson). If you go into the regular season they did demolish a good Georgia Tech squad with Stephan Marbury and Matt Harpring. It's easy to play these games. It's really just a fact that I think UK and UNLV would have been a great match between those two. UNLV was not as deep but that first 5 were special. Both averaged over 90 points a game and played some pretty special defense. Sorry if I ruffled in Duke feathers on the comment about the '90 Duke squad. THose were just the facts of that team. K did a great job getting them there and matured them in '91 to set up the great upset. That's all I was saying by that. I didn't realize how special the 98' class was. That is a lot of big names that went on to the NBA and still playing today. Wake was tough that year, seemed like they stayed hot the entire last half of the season.
April 9, 200917 yr The four best teams that I have seen: 1990 - UNLV 1996 - Kentucky 2001 - Duke 2009 - UNC In that order?
April 9, 200917 yr The four best teams that I have seen: 1990 - UNLV 1996 - Kentucky 2001 - Duke 2009 - UNC No love for 1992 Duke? I think the '01 team was pretty special, and showed their mental toughness vs. Maryland in the season and especially in the Final Four. But '92 Duke with Hurley at the point, Laettner (speaking of clutch and tough), Grant Hill, Thomas Hill, Brian Davis, Antonio Lang, Cherokee Parks - I see them as a deeper team than the '01.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.