Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where does the 09' UNC team rank?

Featured Replies

Just for a little comparison...

 

04-05 Key Players for UNC

Raymond Felton

Marvin Williams

Rashad McCants

David Noel

Sean May

 

08-09 Key Players for UNC

Ty Lawson

Danny Green

Deon Thompson

Wayne Ellington

Tyler Hansbrough

 

 

 

I'll take Felton over Lawson. WIlliams over Green. McCants over Thompson, Ellington over Noel and May over Hansbrough.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll take Felton over Lawson. WIlliams over Green. McCants over Thompson, Ellington over Noel and May over Hansbrough.

 

Felton over Lawson??? :lol: Really?

IMHO, the 96 Kentucky team was a cut above the rest. This team holds the NCAA tournament record for the largest margin of victory throughout their six game march. I think that record speaks volumes. Like Vitale said, they were No. 1 and their bench was 1A.

IMHO, the 96 Kentucky team was a cut above the rest. This team holds the NCAA tournament record for the largest margin of victory throughout their six game march. I think that record speaks volumes. Like Vitale said, they were No. 1 and their bench was 1A.

 

I agree...9 future NBAers on that team.

 

Tony Delk

Walter McCarty

Mark Pope

Antoine Walker

Ron Mercer

Derek Anderson

Nazr Mohammed

Jeff Sheppard

Wayne Turner

 

Can't hardly touch the "Untouchables".

Felton over Lawson??? :lol: Really?

 

Yea this was a tough one but just went with it. This was actually the only one I had to think about but not for to long.

I agree...9 future NBAers on that team.

 

Tony Delk

Walter McCarty

Mark Pope

Antoine Walker

Ron Mercer

Derek Anderson

Nazr Mohammed

Jeff Sheppard

Wayne Turner

 

Can't hardly touch the "Untouchables".

 

:DJust reading this and seeing the names makes me think bad thoughts in such a good way.:sssh:

I think this UNC squad is very comparable to the 96 Cats, they dominated the tourney, winning by double digits every round, and have 8-10 future NBA'ers.

 

It's hard to rank championship teams, but 96 Cats, 90 UNLV and this UNC squad are three of the most impressive I've seen.

The thing about the '96 UK team is that they were equally or more devastating on defense than they were on offense. UNC is not in the ballpark in that regard. Offensively, sure.
Just for a little comparison...

 

04-05 Key Players for UNC

Raymond Felton

Marvin Williams

Rashad McCants

David Noel

Sean May

 

08-09 Key Players for UNC

Ty Lawson

Danny Green

Deon Thompson

Wayne Ellington

Tyler Hansbrough

 

I'd take Lawson over Felton.

 

The difference in the teams to me is Marvin Williams. I think he's the most talented player on either squad.

Lawson is the only one on the 2009 heels that I would take over anyone on the 2005 heels. After Lawson, I don't think the rest of 2009 is even close to 2005.

IMHO, the 96 Kentucky team was a cut above the rest. This team holds the NCAA tournament record for the largest margin of victory throughout their six game march. I think that record speaks volumes. Like Vitale said, they were No. 1 and their bench was 1A.

 

Sorry big guy, I have to go with 90-91 UNLV squad. Those two years were the most dominant 2 years by any team I have ever seen in college basketball. The 96 team may have the largest margin of victory in a whole tournament, UNLV has the largest margin of victory in a championship game. That UNLV team beat great teams in both of those years as well. I have yet to see a team with that kind of inside/outside play dominate the game and their opponents the way they did. I would take the championship game winning UNLV squad(90) and the Final Four losing UNLV(91) squad over any college basketball team any day of the week.

^I always find it interesting that Duke's back-to-back squads don't get mentioned. Considering they beat the great UNLV in the final four of their first title...

 

Hurley, Grant and Thomas Hill and Christian Laettner. Few college teams have ever had a group like that.

 

UK, UNLV, and the Duke teams are the best I've seen. I also think Florida's teams belong very high on the list.

Sorry big guy, I have to go with 90-91 UNLV squad. Those two years were the most dominant 2 years by any team I have ever seen in college basketball. The 96 team may have the largest margin of victory in a whole tournament, UNLV has the largest margin of victory in a championship game. That UNLV team beat great teams in both of those years as well. I have yet to see a team with that kind of inside/outside play dominate the game and their opponents the way they did. I would take the championship game winning UNLV squad(90) and the Final Four losing UNLV(91) squad over any college basketball team any day of the week.

 

I agree with how awesome they were but the notion of the 30 point win had as much to do with that Duke team not being nearly as good or ready to face that UNLV squad. That Duke team was ranked #15, and finished with 9 losses; going 9-5 in the ACC. They got on a roll in the NCAA after being bounced hard by UNC in that tourney. It was a young Duke squad and that game snowballed.

 

UNLV was awesome in the whole season in '91.

 

I too would put them up there and maybe at the top. The truth is that this UNC team is very athletic and it would have been quite the up and down game to see between the two.

I agree with how awesome they were but the notion of the 30 point win had as much to do with that Duke team not being nearly as good or ready to face that UNLV squad. That Duke team was ranked #15, and finished with 9 losses; going 9-5 in the ACC. They got on a roll in the NCAA after being bounced hard by UNC in that tourney. It was a young Duke squad and that game snowballed.

 

UNLV was awesome in the whole season in '91.

 

I too would put them up there and maybe at the top. The truth is that this UNC team is very athletic and it would have been quite the up and down game to see between the two.

 

 

 

The same could be said about the 96' teams tournament run. What good teams did they play along the way to setting the record for margin of victory in the tourney?

 

UNLV was very awesome that season.

 

I got lost on your last one. You would put this year's heels at the top? I think a game between UNLV and this year's heels would have been fun to watch for the first half. Larry Johnson, David Butler, and George Ackles would have abused Tyler Hansbrough down low the entire game, Stacey Augmon would have abused and confused Danny Green, Anderson Hunt and Ellington would end in a draw, maybe, and Greg Anthony would have forced Ty Lawson into Larry Johnson so many times that Ty Lawson would eventually quit driving the lane and UNLV would end up demolishing them, IMO.

 

Who knows though, I'd love to watch that UNLV team play again.

2009-2010 Kentucky, top 10.

 

I think you could be spot on!

 

UNLV

UCONN - Womens 2009

INDIANA - 1976

TENNESSEE - 90's Triple

 

UCLA should be up there with that dominance, I just tried to go back to what I recall seeing.

 

UK has some great moments that should be in the discussion.

 

UL to pretty good title runs with 80 & 86.

The same could be said about the 96' teams tournament run. What good teams did they play along the way to setting the record for margin of victory in the tourney?

 

Well they did play UMASS in the final four a team who had only one lost and Marcus Camby one of the best players in the nation and had already beat UK once. In the elite 8 they also played Wake Forest who had some guy named Tim Duncan. (It might have been 97 when they played him in the elite 8. I just know it was either 96 or 97).

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.