Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who is the team that your team wants to beat more than anyone else?

Featured Replies

Newport over NCC would be nice

  • Replies 178
  • Views 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please quit being so adversarial. The question was to the effect of what team would you like to beat. Katbird answered the question. Katbird did not say whether he or she thought they would beat one of the three big boys. The more some people post, the more their character shines through.

:thumb:

Oh, where DO I begin? :lol:

 

For us BGHS graybeards, the one to beat is Franklin-Simpson, the game I call The Annual Bloodletting. In a JV game in 1960 (my brother was a soph that year...he turned 60 yesterday! :D ), his JV Wildcats beat BGHS in what he called the most brutal game he ever saw or played in to this day. After the game, the Big Blue JV team was so fired up, the coach donated his BGHS letter jacket for an impromptu bonfire! True story!! The coach had attended BGHS in his day (late 1940s). It is the signature game here in the southcentral part of the Commonwealth, and still is for us old guys!

 

Nowadays, another game that shares the stage with this one is the game with Warren Central, The Backyard Brawl as I call it. It was not that big a deal when I played (1974-76) because our first game against them came in 1974. The series took on a bigger importance when Coach Joe Hood led the Dragons to prominence in the mid 1980s and Coach Dan Haley was building his monster at Alma Mater about that time as well. It has not slowed down in intensity at all, and the players sure get intense all week over it!

 

Greenwood may soon join that list if they continue their yearly improvement, but they have yet to beat us.

 

As for postseason, add Hopkinsville and Paducah Tilghman to that list. Those are two old and bitter rivals from the days of the old Western Kentucky Conference. Going into my senior year (1976), we were 0-19-2 against the Tornado! Since then, we only trail in the series 11-10!! Hopkinsville was responsible for some of our more humiliating losses in the 1940s and the 1960s. Before my junior year (1975), we had beaten Hoptown only once (1967) from 1963 through 1974. We've won the lion's share since then. We fell behind 10-0 in the first 1 1/2 minutes of the 1975 game at the old Walnut Street Stadium before we turned on the jets and won 41-23. We all admit that the season-ending losses in 2001, 2002, and 2003 have really been heartbreakers from our point of view, to say the least!

 

But from my point of view, it is every team on the schedule and every team we must face in the postseason! They're ALL important! :D

Yep... the Pirates have tagged the Blackcats with a 6 game streak. It's time for it to stop... :thumb:

:dancingpa To BEAT Belfry and win it all....and for the Blackcats to win it all cross the board....My Grandson have a great Year.... :cool::cool: 63

I agree. And like you I dont want to beat them by a touchdown I want to beat them by 30 points.
LOL...Good luck... :cool::p I hope all Teams have a safe year and no one get hurt bad....I want THE BLACKCATS TO be next years CHAMPS and all of us enjoy the GREAT SPORT AND BE GREAT SPORT FANS..... :dancingpa :cool::cool: ....63

Male.

I don't I care as much about St. X because when I played we did beat them once. So for me Male is the one that got away.

Male.

I don't I care as much about St. X because when I played we did beat them once. So for me Male is the one that got away.

OK, let's just beat them both. ;) :thumb:

OK, let's just beat them both. ;) :thumb:

 

Plus Trinity makes it a trinity... pun intended, of course. :thumb:

For a Trinity alum..ST.x. The other is any team Bobby Redman coaches.

 

Amen to this statement.

I would have to say CCH and the Battle of Dixie hwy. They're not in our class anymore, but seeing how they beat us 25 years straight untill we took the last 5 of 6 years, it'll live on for both us I'm sure. Other than that, we pretty much just want to beat 'em all equally. ;)

Sandman, with all do respect. Dixie does not even come close to being one of the bigger rivals for Cov Cath. Even though they have had the losses you refer to. For Dixie it is a HUGE game. Dixie is very good, but it is not just there for the fans, players, alumni of Cov Cath. Clearly Highlands, and the GCL schools are up there. Have spoken to many Dixie students, players and alumni. Playing Cov Cath is definately their biggest game in all sports. Now baseball is a different story, Cov Cath's rival is Dixie. But not in any other sport. By the way you have some of the best posts on here. You clearly are a fan of Northern Ky. High School sports that always has positive things to say and is never pulled into some of the mud slinging that takes place.

:walk:

usually for South Laurel:

 

1. Corbin

1a. North Laurel

 

This year:

 

Madison Central

Anything Pineville does the goal is to beat Middlesboro and then focus on the postseason. Also in Pineville it is whoever is the opposing team in the :dancingpa LAUREL BOWL! :dancingpa

Dayton vs Bellevue is the biggest rivalry no one knows about...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.