Players to watch in the 9th Region Tourney

I'd add Brandon Housely, Dom Johnson, and Kevon Rice of Holmes as players to watch as well.

Everyone knows about the big 4 (Riley, Johnson Brothers, Pittman), but IMO Holmes is starting to play their best ball of the year right now because of those three stepping up. Housely and DJ made the district all tournament team and Kevon chipped in with I believe 7 points in the district championship. Holmes will need all three to continue playing well if they want to make a serious run at the state title.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd add Brandon Housely, Dom Johnson, and Kevon Rice of Holmes as players to watch as well.

Everyone knows about the big 4 (Riley, Johnson Brothers, Pittman), but IMO Holmes is starting to play their best ball of the year right now because of those three stepping up. Housely and DJ made the district all tournament team and Kevon chipped in with I believe 7 points in the district championship. Holmes will need all three to continue playing well if they want to make a serious run at the state title.

Quick question, send me a personal message if this is too personal, but are you speaking of Keyvon Arnold? I have heard people talk about Kevon Rice a few times on here and think I even heard his name on the radio the other night. Can you clarify? The sophmore SG who is 6'5 or 6'6 is Keyvon Arnold correct? I coached Keyvon Arnold in 8th grade for a few months, very nice kid.

#2 in the region is very good in assist but he also has some big bodies to get the ball to on the post.

I've seen him and Jake Hils of St. Henry and they seem like the same player. Both are good leaders on the floor, play good defense and dish the ball to everyone else. But they don't score.

You need to watch more closely. I can't imagine anyone making that comparison ever. Not even in the same league.

Quick question, send me a personal message if this is too personal, but are you speaking of Keyvon Arnold? I have heard people talk about Kevon Rice a few times on here and think I even heard his name on the radio the other night. Can you clarify? The sophmore SG who is 6'5 or 6'6 is Keyvon Arnold correct? I coached Keyvon Arnold in 8th grade for a few months, very nice kid.

I have heard that he has changed his name, but have not heard any reasoning on why.

I have heard that he has changed his name, but have not heard any reasoning on why.

Keyvon legally changed his last name from Arnold to Rice last week...same kid, just with a different last name now.

Here are my players to watch.

Dixie- Trammell and Pike

Holmes- Pittman, Rico Johnson and Jamel Riley

Ryle- Stauffer

Highlands- Grote and Kowolonek

Boone Co- McFarland and Gabbard

Beechwood- Romes and Buettel

St. Henry- Zumdick

NCC- Pangallo and Jake Geisler

Hils from SH is a much better defender than Pangallo and definitely sees the floor but Pangallo is more of a thrat offensively!

I will give you my comparison after I see Hils against Highlands. I have watched Grant play for the past few years and he is fun to watch. He really loves the game and plays with tenacity and exceptional quickness. Offensively he can get to the basket and it looks like he hit double figures a few times in points late in the season.

Gabbard is IMO the best point guard in the 9th and a blast to watch. Should put on a show in the big arena!!!

I agree. He is so calm and scores off the dribble very well. Then he compliments his game with a nice shooting touch. He doesn't seem to force anything and thats why I think Boone is playing so well right now.

Gabbard is IMO the best point guard in the 9th and a blast to watch. Should put on a show in the big arena!!!

I agree! I have been watching him since his middle school days, and I knew he was going to be a special player even 5 years ago! Plus, a great kid off the court! Can't wait to see him play on this stage tomorrow!

I don't think Conner from NCC will do much in the tournament. I know he had a big night against Highlands, but I don't think he is good enough to do that on consecutive nights. He is a good player, but teams will be putting some of their best defenders on him. I just don't think he has proved that he is good enough to do what he did against Highlands in consecutive games.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13