Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Player in the SEC

Best Player in the SEC? 120 members have voted

  1. 1. Best Player in the SEC?

    • Nick Calathes
      19%
    • Devon Downey
      5%
    • Jodie Meeks
      61%
    • Patrick Patterson
      13%
    • Other (Please Specific)
      0%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

You really dont think that Billy G said get the ball to Jodie, and Jodie put up a shot?

 

I don't doubt it but you can't tell me Meeks wasn't standing in his ear saying come on coach get me the ball. And when you get the ball gotta make some effort to make something happen, and I know the shot went in but the shot went in because it went in not because he worked hard and got a good look he had a terrible look at the basket.

  • Replies 315
  • Views 33.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thornton for LSU would also have a strong case but that is part of me being an SEC west guy again too. Gee's 14 points 7 rebounds a game are worthy of consideration too.

I don't doubt it but you can't tell me Meeks wasn't standing in his ear saying come on coach get me the ball. And when you get the ball gotta make some effort to make something happen, and I know the shot went in but the shot went in because it went in not because he worked hard and got a good look he had a terrible look at the basket.

 

Well gee's if you dont have a good look with 5 seconds left do you not take the shot? I'm confused. :confused:

Well gee's if you dont have a good look with 5 seconds left do you not take the shot? I'm confused. :confused:

 

I'm just saying it's typical for how Meeks operates he takes bad shots all the time without looking for teammates, the problem is he he doesn't always make them look at his shooting percentage during the 3 game loosing streak.

I understand what your saying but Jordan didnt make all his shots either but do you think he quit shooting. Everyone on the team has a role and Meeks being the best player on the court why not let him have at it.

I don't doubt it but you can't tell me Meeks wasn't standing in his ear saying come on coach get me the ball. And when you get the ball gotta make some effort to make something happen, and I know the shot went in but the shot went in because it went in not because he worked hard and got a good look he had a terrible look at the basket.

What else was he going to do??? The shot clock was at ONE when he took it?? Sheesh...

 

Anyway, If I am picking a team from all the players in the SEC to win a basketball game against ANYBODY...Im taking Patterson with my first pick.

I said Meeks, just because I think he is a better defender than Calathes

What else was he going to do??? The shot clock was at ONE when he took it?? Sheesh...

 

Anyway, If I am picking a team from all the players in the SEC to win a basketball game against ANYBODY...Im taking Patterson with my first pick.

 

Thats exactly the thing about my argument against Meeks people always forget, I'm not saying he always shouldn't take the shot I'm juts saying there are a lot of times he shouldn't. This is just another example of Meeks being Meeks to me. He looks like a guy to me he woke up this summer and said this is my Junior year I want to make it to the league and to this point I haven't done anything to get there, so this season I'm going to get mine and thats all that matters. Thus he takes 20 shots a game and makes sure he scores a ton even on nights when he's having a terrible shooting percentage like 4 for 17.

The best player in the conference imo is Patterson. Meeks will win the conference honor this year imo, and Downey is better than Calathes imo.

I think it's time to give this debate/arguement it's own thread. There are really only 4 serious options....

 

Nick Calathes-Florida

Patrick Patterson-Kentucky

Jodie Meeks-Kentucky

Devon Downey-South Carolina

 

 

Let's hear some good spirited debate and cases for and against each. I won't be able to get back on until tonight, but I think everyone already knows my choice. :D

 

Calathes played well last night, but Meeks put a team on his back in the last few minutes and refused to let his team lose a must win game. That is impressive. My real question is after the Tenn game when Meeks dropped 54 this would have been a land slide would it not? Meeks has had a bad run lately b/c teams refused to guard anyone on the court except two guys. Florida at least has guys who if left wide open will take and make shots. If Calathes saw the same defense as Meeks the last 3 games he would also struggle to score 18 a game.

Calathes may have some overall better stats that account in multiple categories but if Jodie Meeks was the only player UK had, his rebounds, assists, etc and would be higher as well. The thing that puts Meeks over the top for is his athletic ability, I know Calathes hit some unreal shots last night but he isn't even in the same blip of a radar screen as Meeks is with his speed, endurance, take off and overall quickness. Those attributes as well as a great shot and true leader make him #1 in the SEC right now and probably next year as well. Meeks is drawing 2-3 guys a time everytime he gets the ball since his UT performance and is still averaging pretty good numbers. If Calathes had 2-3 guys on him night in night out, he would be wore down even more than he showed last night as Billy D. was constantly giving him breathers. Meeks sits out about 1 minute a game.

Between Calathes and Meeks, well last night in the clutch, one got it done and one didn't. Over the season I haven't seen enough of Calathes to say he is better or worse than Meeks. Downey is in the mix also.

Between Calathes and Meeks, well last night in the clutch, one got it done and one didn't. Over the season I haven't seen enough of Calathes to say he is better or worse than Meeks. Downey is in the mix also.

 

Calathes did choke but when he was shooting that was the loudest i have ever heard Rupp

IMO its Patterson hands down. With a close Calathes and Downey right behind him. Meeks would/is close to the name just had to develope the part of his game the both Calathes and Downey has, create your own shot and be able to score no matter the defense/pressure that is applied. Them 2 get it just as bad as Meeks but can still find a way to score.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.