Will KY schools get calamity days for this year?

ladiesbballcoach

Lets continue to make excusses to NOT make up days. True education is not the focus of our schools or our government. Making sure we score right on a test is all that matters.

I better get my kids Chinese language lessons so they can talk with their bosses.

Go to School, Stay in School, Educate our youth!

Freedom is not Free!

It costs a buck 'o five.

From my experience of working in the school district, the parents still go on vacation (cause it is not something they can move around with their work schedules) and the child is pulled out for that week of vacation.

What is OC? And in our situation since they are putting a new roof on the elementary schools there is probably some safety issue about the kids being in a classroom where the roof is being replaced. I would guess there is.

OC = Oldham County

Then the parents are to blame for scheduling the vacations on such a tight time schedule from schools dismissal day. If the parents pull the kid for a week, hopefully there are negative consequenses to this action.

Certainly there would be issues with putting a new roof on with kids in the building. Can the school board not work with the construction people to say you will be given 60 days to complete the job in order to be paid? There are other ways of fixing these problems without our kids education suffering.

From my experience of working in the school district, the parents still go on vacation (cause it is not something they can move around with their work schedules) and the child is pulled out for that week of vacation.

I know in Ohio, such as Lakota school district, if the family had a vacation ect planned on the make up days, the kids will get an excused absence.

OC = Oldham County

Then the parents are to blame for scheduling the vacations on such a tight time schedule from schools dismissal day. If the parents pull the kid for a week, hopefully there are negative consequenses to this action.

Certainly there would be issues with putting a new roof on with kids in the building. Can the school board not work with the construction people to say you will be given 60 days to complete the job in order to be paid? There are other ways of fixing these problems without our kids education suffering.

For this year and in some school districts, you are talking 3 weeks from when the last day of school was scheduled. I don't think you can plan for adding 15 days to the end of schedule and losing the holidays throughout the schedule and spring break.

Plus, some businesses work schedules are not accomodating for the parents to choose whenever. They choose long time before and others are gone the other weeks and you cannot switch off.

State government construction jobs do not move as quickly and smoothly as private jobs. More regualtions and guidelines you have to follow.

The custodial staff might not even be allowed to be in the building and cleaning all summer while the roof is being worked on for safety reasons.

After the roof is finished, the floors have to be cleaned and waxed. All the rooms put back together after the floors are done.

Can they go to longer days and Saturdays to offset some of the missed days?

Saturdays are out because of budget constraints. You would have to pay overtime to the cafeteria workers, classified staff, maintenance crew all who would need to come in on Saturday.

They can add to the school day according to the article. Add 30 minutes and it takes about 14 days of 30 minutes to make up one day.

I pulled this post from rockmom in another thread that I thought was pertinent to this discussion.

My parents in Grayson County have been told it will likely be 4-6 more weeks before they get electricity back....longer before they get their phone lines repaired.

Thank the Lord for my nephew's old scout master! They brought my parents a big camping stove, and a 20lb propane tank, and the a pick up truck full of firewood! They also now have a car charger for their cell phone, and my sister that lives in Breckinridge County brought them dry ice. Life will be inconveninet for a while, but they'll be able to survive until the ground drys out enough to get trucks back out into their remote area and the repairs to the lines can be made.

If no one has heard, Grayson County High School was the designated shelter. But, it was on generator. If I remember correctly, the entire 27,000 population of Grayson County was without power. They were putting people on school busses and running the busses in the parking lot to keep people warm.

FEMA visit and tours there tomorrow.

I understand all of this. I honestly could be on either side. But the bottom line is that we are allowing a lot of other things detract from our kids education. I believe the state already has a provision for waiving days once you get over 20. (Is this True?) If true, why is that number not good?

My point is that the whole experience is a hardship. Schools, teachers, business, parents, kids, everyone everywhere. Learning to deal with hardship and overcoming adversity are life lessons that can guide our youth in a positive direction. Calamity days because of a bunch of excuses is like quitting, and that is a life lesson that they do not need more of! Why work on eliminating needed educational days instead of working fulfill our obligation. Calamity days are the EASY way out.

State government construction jobs do not move as quickly and smoothly as private jobs. More regualtions and guidelines you have to follow.

You will get what you expect! That is just another reminder that schools are nothing more than an extension of an already disfunctional government. These people must be looking at your roof project as an econimic stimulus package for themselves. You tell them what you expect, and you hold them accountable. Don't just write it off to government projects are different than private sector projects. I would say this is true only because we accept it that way!

Freedom is not Free!

I understand all of this. I honestly could be on either side. But the bottom line is that we are allowing a lot of other things detract from our kids education. I believe the state already has a provision for waiving days once you get over 20. (Is this True?) If true, why is that number not good?

My point is that the whole experience is a hardship. Schools, teachers, business, parents, kids, everyone everywhere. Learning to deal with hardship and overcoming adversity are life lessons that can guide our youth in a positive direction. Calamity days because of a bunch of excuses is like quitting, and that is a life lesson that they do not need more of! Why work on eliminating needed educational days instead of working fulfill our obligation. Calamity days are the EASY way out.

You will get what you expect! That is just another reminder that schools are nothing more than an extension of an already disfunctional government. These people must be looking at your roof project as an econimic stimulus package for themselves. You tell them what you expect, and you hold them accountable. Don't just write it off to government projects are different than private sector projects. I would say this is true only because we accept it that way!

Freedom is not Free!

I am not talking about the company but rather all the hoops and jumps that you have to go through via state and federal government regulations to get something built in a school district.

Understand. It is still frustrating.

Do you know if there is a built in over 20 days waiver currently on the books?

The article said there was.

I agree totally about the dysfunctional government and the eye in eduction (made by the politicians and not the local school districts) off of the student learning but rather raising test scores.