Rules question

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter has worn a headband her entire career. She has always made sure she wore either solid white or solid blue at the high school level to go with the uniform, no logos. She was, however, informed of the rules requirement by her head coach when she began playing at the high school.

I am going to ask another rules question! In regard to a knee brace, in this respect, a custom ACL brace. The brace has no exposed metal of any kind & no sharp corners, all areas are rounded. It is marketed as meeting the national requirements for being "legal" so to speak for competitive sports activity. In our region, the player wears the brace with an undersleeve but no tape or covering over it & has had only 1 ref question her regarding the brace. It was determined it was "OK." However, when playing in another region in the same state, the player was required to "cover" the entire brace. Looked like a tire after that! The only information I could find was on the national association refs site & it only mentioned exposed metal. Any one have what the official position on the ACL braces are or any brace for that matter?

I believe the rule book states that any hard, unyielding braces must be covered...I will try to find the exact rule and paragraph number and post it back to you or send it to you in a PM...On a second note...I am impressed with the effort and desire this young lady plays with, too bad she had a tear again and in her Senior year...Good Luck luck the rest of the season and beyond!

I would like to see as much energy concentrated on being a good official as is getting put into being the fashion police. I mean come on, color of prewrap ? Arm band, sweat band, head band ? The next level of ball has tattoo's everywhere, arm warmers, etc. Like to see that much effort put in to calling a charge correctly !

I would like to see as much energy concentrated on being a good official as is getting put into being the fashion police. I mean come on, color of prewrap ? Arm band, sweat band, head band ? The next level of ball has tattoo's everywhere, arm warmers, etc. Like to see that much effort put in to calling a charge correctly !

I don't think the officials have any desire of being the fashion police. They are given the rules to enforce not making the rules.

My daughter has worn a headband her entire career. She has always made sure she wore either solid white or solid blue at the high school level to go with the uniform, no logos. She was, however, informed of the rules requirement by her head coach when she began playing at the high school.

I am going to ask another rules question! In regard to a knee brace, in this respect, a custom ACL brace. The brace has no exposed metal of any kind & no sharp corners, all areas are rounded. It is marketed as meeting the national requirements for being "legal" so to speak for competitive sports activity. In our region, the player wears the brace with an undersleeve but no tape or covering over it & has had only 1 ref question her regarding the brace. It was determined it was "OK." However, when playing in another region in the same state, the player was required to "cover" the entire brace. Looked like a tire after that! The only information I could find was on the national association refs site & it only mentioned exposed metal. Any one have what the official position on the ACL braces are or any brace for that matter?

While the manufacuter may state the brace is "legal" for competitive sports, it may not be legal for "contact" sports. when questioning a brace's legality, it will come down to the officials' judgement of if it is #1 safe for that player and #2 (no less important) safe for the other players in the contest. Ask yourself, "If a player wearing that brace dives in on a loose ball and smacks another kid with the brace, what kind of damage will it do?" That is where the "hard and unyielding" comes into play.

I believe the rule book states that any hard, unyielding braces must be covered...I will try to find the exact rule and paragraph number and post it back to you or send it to you in a PM...On a second note...I am impressed with the effort and desire this young lady plays with, too bad she had a tear again and in her Senior year...Good Luck luck the rest of the season and beyond!

Rule 3-5-2c states: Knee and ankle braces are permitted but all exposed hinges must be covered. Most over-sleeves recommended by manufactures are acceptable. These braces may be padded or unpadded.

She has to wear a sleeve over it.

Rule 3-5-2c states: Knee and ankle braces are permitted but all exposed hinges must be covered. Most over-sleeves recommended by manufactures are acceptable. These braces may be padded or unpadded.

The hinge is not exposed & has a cover, although not padded, it is rubber. The brace is flush to the skin otherwise. If she was to land or dive or hit another player, there would not be any risk to the other player.

I asked the question because I have seen these type of braces worn for years, both girls & boys, and never seen a player have to completely cover it before. The officials that required her to do so didn't look at the brace, just told her to cover it.

The NFHS is trying to create uniformity across the nation with the uniforms. It may not be an issue is small rural communities but headband colors and styles could be considered gang colors and other issues that go with that. The game is a team game and until you get paid at the professional level it should be about the team and not drawing attention to yourself. Coaches and school administration didn't want to be the bad guys so NFHS had to be more forceful in the rules thus making the officials the fashion police. Coaches are asked at the beginning of each game if the players are properly equiped to federation standards.

In today's world any official that allows a player on the floor in a brace that is something other than all neoprene or elastic without a protective sleeve is asking for trouble.