First Reds Game??

ACE

How many remember their first Reds game?? Mine was in 1969(at least thats the one I remember, could have been a year or two or three earlier) at Crosley Field. I vividly remember the 1969 game because there were baseballs painted on the outside of the stadium with a quote of something to the effect of "1869-1969 100 Years of Reds Baseball". I remember sitting in the sun deck and watching Bobby Tolan catch those fly balls to right filed. Seems like I also remember seeing Tony Perez hitting one off the center field wall in the vicinity of the big clock. It was really a magical memory for me.:thumb:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was either 6 or 7 years old. It was smack in the middle of Big Red Machine heyday. I remember Ken Griffey coming up to bat, and there was some drunken looney a couple rows behind us in the old concrete donut yelling, in a big, booming voice, "C'mon Archie! C'mon Archie!" Good times ... :lol:

It was '72 for me and the Pirates were in town. I got autographs on those cards they gave out. I think Billingham and Clay Carroll were on my card. Loved eating the malt chocolate ice cream cups. The Pirates won as I recall but the Reds went on to have the last laugh in the end. :thumb:

1973 against the Phillies. Joe Morgan hit a Grand Slam and a three run homer in two of his first three AB's as the Reds routed the Phillies 15-3. Don Gullett pitched for the Reds. We went back the next night, and Fred Norman and the Reds beat the Phillies 7-0.

First Reds game was in 1988; we had tickets in the little corner of blue seats near the right field pole. Got there just as BP was finishing up, Danny Jackson was shagging flies. As he prepared to go back to the dugout, I asked him if he would flip a ball to my son, and he did.:thumb:

ALso went to the last game in Cinergy Field and the first game at GABP.

First GAME - at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore in 1964.

My first Reds game was in 1975. My mamaw and I listened every evening to Marty and Joe on WPAY in Portsmouth. I can remember we were both excited to go. My mamaw didn't drive, and her best friend Rosie drove. We stayed all night in Newport, walked across the blue bridge. They played the Pirates. I returned home to South Shore with a Little Joe t-shirt and a miniature Johnny Bench bat. Me and two old bags at the Reds game,,,,,I'll never, ever forget that!!

Bat Day at Crosley Field against the Giants in 1970. Got a Johnny Bench bat and the Reds won on a three hitter from Wayne Simpson. Giants had Mays & MCovey. I think the Big Bopper (anyone know who he is?) hit a home run. Can't remember the score.

Bat Day at Crosley Field against the Giants in 1970. Got a Johnny Bench bat and the Reds won on a three hitter from Wayne Simpson. Giants had Mays & MCovey. I think the Big Bopper (anyone know who he is?) hit a home run. Can't remember the score.

Are you kidding? Who doesn't know who the Big Bopper is.

Lee May