JUCO v. D-1

Papi22

With D-1 schools only being able to give 11.7 scholarships per team, and JUCO being alotted 24, I was just curious if anybody had some insights on wether taking a ride to JUCO as apposed to maybe a 30% scholarship would hurt a players chances come time to enter the draft. Any info would be much appreciated. Any past experiences anyone could share would be very helpful, my younger brother is entering his senior season, and some third party people have told us he's expected to be a pretty good recruit, so we're facing a lot of these decisions, hoping the bluegrass faithful can help educate us some.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the JUCO route you are probably going to see more playing time right away. You also have the chance of being drafted after each season, whereas you can only be drafted after your 3rd season in D1,2,or 3. It is also a good way to keep your grades up, because most folks I know that went the JUCO route said the classes were easier.

A few years back I would have taken a JUCO team like St. Catherines over a team like EKU, when Coach Shelton had built the Patriots into a baseball powerhouse.

It all boils down to the almighty $$$ -- If what you're looking for is an education, go to school for school and play baseball to get the money. If you're looking to get drafted and are not concerned with finishing school, then go to the JUCO.

Heck, your brother may get drafted high enough to make this a moot point. If he's offered a $2 mil signing bonus, then why not take it? College will be a whole lot easier later on when money is not an issue...

I hear some of the kids getting drafted out of high school now are asking that the team pay for their college if they do not succeed at baseball.They have it written in the contract.

I was also told if you are not drafted in the first couple rounds you are better off going to school.Improve on your game and maybe get drafted higher later.They will know where to find you if they found you once.

I hear some of the kids getting drafted out of high school now are asking that the team pay for their college if they do not succeed at baseball.They have it written in the contract.

I was also told if you are not drafted in the first couple rounds you are better off going to school.Improve on your game and maybe get drafted higher later.They will know where to find you if they found you once.

Yes, the pros have it written in that they will pay for college. The teams have found, that hardly anyone takes advantage of this clause?

If his intent is the Draft, then the selection of the JUCO program, is very important. Often many D1 programs in the South, will sign JUCO transfers for their last two years and some, in the Northeast.

Having a JUCO Staff, with connections/ties to MLB, is a tremendous boost in promoting for the Draft. You can also get the same attention, in D1. The best advice I can offer, in evaluating the JUCO and D1 programs, which are interested and do some research, on which has placed more in the Draft.