JUCO v. D-1

Papi22

I understand about dreams, but getting a great education is what kids should really be worried about! How many people actually make a living playing baseball that played HS or even major D1 ball? If the kid is that good, he will get a D1 offer or if he really, really that good, he will get a MLB offer! If you have the talent, or if you have true potential, the scouts will find you!

The main issue here is not whether we think kids should strive for a good education. Let me ask you this, if your chosen profession was to be a lawyer, so you go through years and years of schooling, pass the exam, you're now a lawyer. Then somebody tells you the schooling was unnecessary to become a lawyer, all you have to do is pass the bar. Think of time a athlete can spend in a college getting what can be an unnecessary education if he succeeds playing baseball. Don't get me wrong, in no way am I saying education isn't important in life, but it doesn't take a degree to play a little stick ball...In the case in which this thread was originally intended, education is not the biggest of concerns, as was mentioned earlier, a player signing with the MLB has the ability to have an education paid for later by the team in which he signs. That's the great thing about baseball, even if you fail, you can still succeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion it doesn't really matter where you go. If you have 1st round talent, your going to get your looks. In terms of competition I have always thought of JUCO as being for student who may not make the grades of D-I, D-II, D-III schools, or NAIA schools.

If your talking about players overall I'd say your top 25 D-III schools are just as good as say the bottom 1-15% of D-I schools. The top 25 of D-II school as good as the top 50% of D-I schools. Schools at all levels have a lot of talent. if your going to college route rather then the Profiessional route out of High School, then in my opinion go where ever you see yourself fitting in academically an socially. You never know when an arm issue, hamstring injury, etc. my ruin a career. It's something nobody wants to happen but its reality.

Go to college where you will see yourself benefiting as a whole. Not necessarily where you athletics will be given 100% priority. -- I've seen many people go this route and end up quitting baseball their freshmen and sophomore years because they weren't comfortable at their respected institutions.

In my opinion it doesn't really matter where you go. If you have 1st round talent, your going to get your looks. In terms of competition I have always thought of JUCO as being for student who may not make the grades of D-I, D-II, D-III schools, or NAIA schools.

If your talking about players overall I'd say your top 25 D-III schools are just as good as say the bottom 1-15% of D-I schools. The top 25 of D-II school as good as the top 50% of D-I schools. Schools at all levels have a lot of talent. if your going to college route rather then the Profiessional route out of High School, then in my opinion go where ever you see yourself fitting in academically an socially. You never know when an arm issue, hamstring injury, etc. my ruin a career. It's something nobody wants to happen but its reality.

Go to college where you will see yourself benefiting as a whole. Not necessarily where you athletics will be given 100% priority. -- I've seen many people go this route and end up quitting baseball their freshmen and sophomore years because they weren't comfortable at their respected institutions.

Excellent point.

I like your arguments bg.. I believe in the kids dreams, I think that it is awesome for a kid to dream to play for that one school they have dreamed about their whole life!... That's why I think the Juco is a very good route! I think that the Juco college route is highly frowned upon here in Kentucky!

I think that if you go to a school that you can focus mainly upon baseball and not so much of a equal balance. That is good! This will allow you to get in the weight room more, focus on school but not as much as your top D1 schools. This in return will allow you to succeed on the feild.... Than after a year or two possibly, you will than be able to get a scholarship to that one school you have always wanted to go to. I think that if your not a freak of nature in any aspect, than the juco is for you, allows for alot of development in every area. Who knows maybe you might get drafted after that second year..

Edited by STRIKE3
comply w/Rule #13

I grew up in CA and lived for a while in AZ where the Jr. College system is much more developed than back here, and it's a great option for many kids, for many different reasons. Academically, many of the west coast JC's are as good if not better than many of the state colleges, and the tuition is significantly less (it was actually free when I was a student, except for a $50 token fee). Many also have very good athletic programs that are used by specific D1 schools in football, basketball & baseball as feeder programs. My cousin's kid just finished 2 years of basketball at a CA JC where I believe 3 of his teammates were from NY, getting their grades up so they could attend the state universities that recommended they go there.

JC's also give kids a chance to figure out what they want out of life w/o spending larger 4-year school tuition fees, or commiting to lower-level 4-year programs they're not too sure of.

I grew up in CA and lived for a while in AZ where the Jr. College system is much more developed than back here, and it's a great option for many kids, for many different reasons. Academically, many of the west coast JC's are as good if not better than many of the state colleges, and the tuition is significantly less (it was actually free when I was a student, except for a $50 token fee). Many also have very good athletic programs that are used by specific D1 schools in football, basketball & baseball as feeder programs. My cousin's kid just finished 2 years of basketball at a CA JC where I believe 3 of his teammates were from NY, getting their grades up so they could attend the state universities that recommended they go there.

JC's also give kids a chance to figure out what they want out of life w/o spending larger 4-year school tuition fees, or commiting to lower-level 4-year programs they're not too sure of.

CA does have some great JUCOs. As was pointed out by you and Vols Fan, the JUCO route can be mis understood here and many are not familiar with the advantages as well as the disadvantages of that route. While we only have one JUCO in KY and it's a DII JUCO (to be four year school now), we are fortunate to have excellent JUCOs all around us. Walters State in TN is one of the most highly respected JUCOs in the nation. Most of the states around us have JUCOs that are at least periodically nationally ranked if not typically so.

The only challenge with the JUCO system in CA is that it does not offer the same financial support/scholarship as schools that belong to the NJCAA. One of the greatest benefits for going the JUCO route is the financial assistance IMO assuming the JUCO is fully funded. A player can end up getting two years of school and living expenses paid for at many and that's hard to pass up in today's world!

Im a big fan of the Panhandle Conference. This is a awesome Juco conference in Florida. It could be arguably be the one of the best confernce in the South as far as kids just gridin it out against one another, and wanting to get better and get to that next level.

With D-1 schools only being able to give 11.7 scholarships per team, and JUCO being alotted 24, I was just curious if anybody had some insights on wether taking a ride to JUCO as apposed to maybe a 30% scholarship would hurt a players chances come time to enter the draft. Any info would be much appreciated. Any past experiences anyone could share would be very helpful, my younger brother is entering his senior season, and some third party people have told us he's expected to be a pretty good recruit, so we're facing a lot of these decisions, hoping the bluegrass faithful can help educate us some.
Never an easy decision in selecting level of play. My only recommendation is to choose the best academic institution possible. Make the decision for the future and not about getting drafted. There have been many comparable talents not get drafted and have to rely on education.

Once a player reaches college and has draft potential, scouts will follow his progress. In college there is much more communication between MLB personnel and colleges.