Everything posted by bluegrass
-
Lexington Catholic names new coach
I think you can never underestimate the importance of a good coach.... talented players or not. With that said, I find this hiring interesting. Taylor is well known in the baseball community, not just with Clary. He has a very good baseball mind and was a good HS pitcher. His experience is rather lean to be a HS program head coach I think and the hire surprises me on that level. I wish the kid a lot of luck though and hope he does well!!
-
Clary out, Martin in, now out at Lexington Catholic
haha That is funny! I wouldn't think he'd ever consider it, but the irony would be a bit of sweet justice. lol
-
Clary out, Martin in, now out at Lexington Catholic
Clary being let go isn't shocking because of recruiting allegations, however..... I couldn't understand why they would want Martin to return. Perhaps that was a rush hire? Don't know, but I would think they would want to do a search and find a true fit for their program.
-
Clary out, Martin in, now out at Lexington Catholic
I think that personally Clary is a good guy. However, there had been way too much going on with kids joining his summer team and then transferring to Catholic and that does include the entire Henry Clay/Hammond incident. Situation was way too risky for Catholic IMO. I am surprised that they brought Martin back though. That is an interesting move.
-
Northern Ky Athletic Conference Names All-Conference Teams/POYs
I doubt that stats were used alone in picking this roster. Otherwise, why would you have voting... they would just have a computer print out the winners. Stats are helpful in painting a picture, but they are not used alone in recruiting, drafting, etc. Different folks will give differing amounts of importance to stats. Not that I have any opinion on the kids that didn't make the list.... just pointing out that stats may not have had the highest of importance?
-
Pikeville bears get 3 from the state champions
Congrats to those players. Coach Taylor is a great guy and I think will do good things for Pikeville.
-
State Tournament Updates
I was too! Congrats to WJ on a great season. Butler has beaten two very good teams so far! Can't wait to see who comes out of tonight.
-
Julian Tackett Disrespectful (or was he right on) with a big "D"
Again, this is the High School STATE TOURNAMENT. They're not going to eject a kid for making a poor decision. I believe the catcher is ok, it didn't change any outcome, and end of story. The umps are not going to kick a kid out of a game like this. I suspect the young man will reflect now or in the future and probably agree he didn't come in properly. It happens.... especially when they see *championship stars* in their eyes. And..... many players or their parents appreciate those keepsakes of homerun balls. It's classy to allow a kid or their parent to have them if they want them. High school is often the last level a player will play... it's also sometimes the only time that kid might ever hit a homerun in their life. That's baseball... it's done all the time. Keeping a football or golfball isn't done. That's just the way it is.... most places anyway.
-
Julian Tackett Disrespectful (or was he right on) with a big "D"
I have no dog in this fight and really don't have strong opinions either way about Tackett. I'll say I'm not overly impressed with the job he does, but that's personal opinion. However, it's not his call to over ride the officiating. The ump made this call. It may have been a bad call, but it is what it is. Throwing the Clay County kid out in the state tournament wouldn't have changed anything and wasn't necessary in my opinion. Also, I think it was inappropriate of the Harrison County fan to address the issue. I think many would consider that rude. So, who was rude in the situation is simply a matter of opinion....
-
MLB Draft
I really enjoy watching this kid play. Glad he received this recognition!
-
MLB Draft
Jayson Langfels from Lafayette High School and EKU went in the 16th round. GREAT kid with skill as well as the intangibles of heart, dedication, and work ethics! Congrats to Jayson and his family!!
-
Bellevue 13 Newport 5
- Bellevue 13 Newport 5
Congrats to Bellevue and especially the seniors!! Regardless of how much farther they advance, what a note to end the season on!! Good luck Monday!!- Bellevue 6 Highlands 5
I'm not a bit surprised. This team is much better than its record. Many of their losses came after falling apart defensively late in games. When they did fall apart, the boys didn't appear to stick together as a team. Perhaps they don't want their season to end yet!! Congrats to Bellevue!!- Bellevue / Highlands Predictions 5/26
Piper and Mike Young. Both very effective from the mound.- Who's Hot Headed Into The Districts?
Good luck to the Generals!!- Lafayette 12 Ryle 1
A lot of players, past and present have been extremely dedicated to the Lafayette program. I've always thought that this field was the best in Lexington despite the fact some others have perhaps spent even more money. It has such a feel for the past combined with improvements over the years. I think Lafayette looks better this year than they have in a while. Good luck to the Generals as we head into district play soon!!- Best 11 th Region players since 2000
I agree that I don't think the original list is necessarily a great list. However, MLB are you aware that the 43rd district provided the winner for STATE most of this decade? So, if we're going to say most of the players for the 11th region should be out of a particular district.... guess what? I can't even begin to count the number of players that have been drafted from the 43rd and while Revere is a very good player with good potential, are you aware that Chaz Roe was placed on the 40 man roster this winter with the Rockies? He'll ultimately spend most of his time in AAA, but think you might have missed the call on the top player of the decade if you want to chose that guy by success.... which seems to be your criteria. Lists like this are subjective and simply opinion. We all have one... along with a dollar will get us a cup of coffee.- Dixie Heights 8 Bellevue 2
I think they already have. Many people discounted Bellevue simply because of the loss of a high caliber player. There are many ingredients that go into making up a winning team in addition to skill. Character, coaching, determination, teammates that understand what "team" means...... They have two kids so far this year that have committed to going on and playing college ball. There is no reason it won't be a good year for the Tigers.- Alex Hegge commits to Brescia University
Congratulations!! Great job!!- Tony Piper commits to Shawnee State
Congratulations to young Mr. Piper!! :thumb:- Henry Clay's Hammond fired
Whether HS ball or an "official" travel team is better than the other is left open to the personal opinion of each of us and is often based on our personal knowledge and experiences. It can be limited on both sides and really has nothing to do with Coach Hammond other than it contributed to decisions made by both parties I guess. First many "travel" teams are actually HS teams that take their summer name. Other more formal travel teams are often made up of a primarily particular HS as well as a collection of the most talented players from several states. You cannot make a blanket statement about any HS team nor any travel team unless you see their roster and their schedule along with a little history of the coach/staff/organization. I have seen a gazillion summer ballgames with teams from both categories.... nothing is a given on either side of this argument.- Henry Clay's Hammond fired
Most of us here don't know all the details involved in this case. I have my idea of the scenario that unfolded and time will probably reveal more info to us all. As you say Cooperstown, I'm 47 years old and fairly mature most of the time, but that doesn't make me exempt from making poor choices upon occasion. I know former and parents and players of HC and know that not everyone has loved Hammond, but know many that were very thankful he was their coach. I have also seen the guy coach a ton of ball games for many many years and NEVER observed him be immature or inappropriate. Maybe he was a big baby behind the scenes, but I can tell you he represented Henry Clay High School very professionally each and every time I ever saw him coach. Sometimes when an incident like this happens, other skeletons come out of the closet, but until then I'll hang my hat on what I know and I am shocked that they let him go. Of course, not the first time I've been shocked about something and won't be the last.- Henry Clay's Hammond fired
Ultimately, probably not because it was stupid either way. And as I stated no one wants to see a young man sit on the bench and not play his sport. However, it does make a difference - especially in the Lexington area in explaining what happened. It is reflective of a broader issue and a coach's frustration with such, which makes Hammond's behavior easier to understand by many around here.- Henry Clay's Hammond fired
Obviously, asking for the kid not to play hits a chord with people. No one wants to see a young student athlete sit out. However, I wonder about this request and the context it was made in by Hammond. Regardless, it was probably a very poor choice on his part. BUT Did he say.... I know your summer team recruited my kid and then recruited him to come there, so you do the right thing at Lex Cath and don't play the kid regardless because it is wrong what has happened. OR Did he say... I hate this dad and I'm gonna show him. Stick with me buddy and don't play his kid and I'll laugh my $$$ off. - Bellevue 13 Newport 5