The Apple Bowl (Johnson Central vs. Paintsville) Is No More?

EKUAlum05

Again, there is a lot of venom being spewd towards PHS. I do not have anyone in the area playing, I am at Raceland. The idea that this is a ploy to get kids to actually think Paintsville is better than they are and will possible move over from JCHS is really stretching it. You guys can't see the forrest for the trees.

That being said, I am a huge fan of all teams in our area. I love to see the success that JCHS has had and want it to continue, but all this negativity towards a 1A school that realizes it is undermanned and wants to correct a huge mismatch on it's schedule is not very dignified. All the bashing looks bad on your school and it's fans.

You are correct. The old line JC fans endured alot of abuse and rivalary from Paintsville and we are guilty of rubbing it in a little, but we are justified.

The old players and fans would love to see this go on, but there is no reason for either team to play this game anymore. JC can make up the gate and it is just a JV game with us. We need to move on and play better teams, but that is hard to do now with our sucess. JC fans are having a little fun with this, but I think have finally realized Paintsville does not figure in our sucess anymore. For Paintsville to say they have quit and had enough is sweet to our ears, but it is time to move on.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Godness...some of you all are acting like children...I am a Paintsville fan always have and always will be...I played in this series and it was fun, but I always looked forward to the Pikeville game more so than the Apple Bowl. When JCHS played Highlands this year I sat in the reserved seats and cheered for Central and yelled and screamed with all the other Eagle faithful, however, a few of these comments makes me question my decision to do so.

Why are so many bitter about this? The game is not competitive anymore. Central is on the level they should have been at several, several years ago. I am happy for them.

So go ahead and continue to take pride in the fact that a Class A school does not want to play you anymore, does that really help you all sleep at night?

Oh Godness...some of you all are acting like children...I am a Paintsville fan always have and always will be...I played in this series and it was fun, but I always looked forward to the Pikeville game more so than the Apple Bowl. When JCHS played Highlands this year I sat in the reserved seats and cheered for Central and yelled and screamed with all the other Eagle faithful, however, a few of these comments makes me question my decision to do so.

Why are so many bitter about this? The game is not competitive anymore. Central is on the level they should have been at several, several years ago. I am happy for them.

So go ahead and continue to take pride in the fact that a Class A school does not want to play you anymore, does that really help you all sleep at night?

This is what I was wanting to hear. Paintsville fans that are cheering for JCHS to do well when they were not playing each other. I am at Raceland and I always want Russell and Greenup to win (when they are not playing us) and to do well in the playoffs. We are a 1A team that plays up in all our non district games with the exception of Paintsville. We picked them up for the 2007 schedule and I'm not sure how long that is for.......anyway. My point is that the venom against PHS over this administrative decision to help Paintsville is unwarranted. Yes, I have read about the thumpings that JCHS took at the hands of PHS in the years past. Who cares?! The point is that was a long time ago and to continue these harsh feelings against a small city school when you are the County school does more harm than good. JCHS can't win the sour grapes argument because the 1A school dropped them and noone sees this as a big deal. The big deal would have been if they were still beating your hind ends and then you dropped them because you couldn't compete with the city school. I hope you guys can calm down and see that this is the best thing for both schools, not only in the long run, but for the sake of your community.

Amen. That alone should put an asterisk beside the all-time series mark.

20-15 * (PHS retired from series due to excessive consecutive beatings, 2008)

That's about how it should read in the official records page in our programs next year, for the sake of clarity.

Guys, come on. You are a 5A school, worry about Highlands, Cov Cath, ect. I am a Paintsville fan and I am telling you, you have bigger fish to fry. Move on, its over. You get nothing out of beating us in terms of helping your program improve.

That's right. The Tigers QUIT, relaying the message to their school, kids, and community that they are not good enough to compete with Johnson Central anymore. That's a sad message to send to kids who have fathers, brother, uncles, and cousins who played in this game and won. Your not good enough but they were. Good message to send to your kids. Johnson Central will benefit more from this than Paintsville. Just sit back and let things unfold.

delete

Edited by sidelinedoc
thought better of it.

You've been saving up for awhile... :jump:

There's no denying Paintsville football benefitted greatly from county students attending PHS (and I remember no denial of that). But, you've gone much too far.

The Paintsville school system is NOT suffering a financial hardship from lack of county athletes attending the city school. What hardship is present is due to the education cuts from the state. Paintsville, being a small school, suffers more in relation to these cuts.

In academics not so long ago, Central was among the WORST ranked academic schools in the region/state. Fortunately with "No Child Left Behind" reforms, Johnson Central has improved greatly to now being in the upper 1/2 of schools regionally. But to be clear...at NO point has Central ever approached Paintsville's level in academic excellence. While I'm sure there are parents who feel Central is "good enough" now (in regard to academics), those that want their child in the BEST school will send them to downtown Paintsville. :cool:

The ONLY high school in the region that is Paintsville's academic peer is Pikeville.

I'd say Harlan would have something to say about that.

That would be a great idea and i would pay to see it.
A doubleheader would be fine as long as Johnson Central would get the lion's share of the gate receipts. If Paintsville wants a big payday, then it should not have killed the series with Johnson Central.

I would prefer a Thursday night game at Johnson Central and a Friday or Saturday game at Paintsville. Enough people are in town for Apple Day to support two separate games in two separate stadiums.

A doubleheader would be fine as long as Johnson Central would get the lion's share of the gate receipts. If Paintsville wants a big payday, then it should not have killed the series with Johnson Central.

I would prefer a Thursday night game at Johnson Central and a Friday or Saturday game at Paintsville. Enough people are in town for Apple Day to support two separate games in two separate stadiums.

That is a good idea and something they should consider. It may, in the long run lead to bigger revenues for both schools.

Wow, all this is happening in the community over "rivalry"? I wasn't aware that it was that bad. Pride in school, both academic and in athletics, shouldn't lead to attacks and vandalism. Who does this hurt? The young and impressionable minds that we are SUPPOSE to be teaching respect and love towards each other. I hope some healing can start since the game is no longer.

It is sad, the game was a great attraction but it got to be more than a game. 95% of the fans are great people, the 5% created alot of prolbems. Most of the probelms were caused by people who attended one school and got mad and sent thier kids to the other. Great people on both sides.

It is sad, the game was a great attraction but it got to be more than a game. 95% of the fans are great people, the 5% created alot of prolbems. Most of the probelms were caused by people who attended one school and got mad and sent thier kids to the other. Great people on both sides.

My wife's family is from Paintsville. To my knowledge, they all graduated from Paintsville, her cousin is a teacher at JCHS and loves it and the enviroment. Her kids go to JCHS and to tell the truth, they never get caught up in this mess. I guess that is why I was shocked to hear of all the negativity and vandalism issues. I wish nothing but the best for both schools.

My wife's family is from Paintsville. To my knowledge, they all graduated from Paintsville, her cousin is a teacher at JCHS and loves it and the enviroment. Her kids go to JCHS and to tell the truth, they never get caught up in this mess. I guess that is why I was shocked to hear of all the negativity and vandalism issues. I wish nothing but the best for both schools.

I have been honored to officiate that traditional rivalry and have always been treated with the utmost respect, this is sad to see such a historic rivalry no longer be played but I wish both schools nothing but the best. Both are class acts in the admin and coaching area as far as treating officials goes, that is for sure.

:jump: It is absolutely hysterically funny to listen to some (a minority) of the JC fans on here bash Paintsville over this decision. I don't know if anyone told you or not, but you're a 5A school! I know that the history of your program shows that a little 1A school has had the edge over you in football, but you can't honestly tell me that you think they should be able to compete with you every year? Are you people really so glib that you think they OWE you a chance to pay them back for the losses you've taken in the past. Are you grown men and women telling me that parents and a faculty should march their 1A team of kids onto a field that they have NO chance of winning on just so you feel better about all the past losses?

:mad:Don't show your football ignorance by telling me that they have a chance at winning because anyone with any football knowledge knows that at this time Paintsville cannot compete with JC.

:mad:Don't show your greed and tell me that these kids should be sent to be embarassed in front of their friends and family just so Paintsville will make more money from this game. I am truly ashamed of anyone on here that thinks that money should trump the pride and esteem of these young men.

Remember when your making your comments about the cancellation of this game that this is a GAME first and foremost. GAMES are supposed to be about competition and helping these young men become real men by letting them win and lose in FAIR competition on the field. This game is not and lately has not been about FAIR competition. The coaching staff and Paintsville faculty has realized this and has made the tough but mature decision in this situation.:thumb:

:jump: It is absolutely hysterically funny to listen to some (a minority) of the JC fans on here bash Paintsville over this decision. I don't know if anyone told you or not, but you're a 5A school! I know that the history of your program shows that a little 1A school has had the edge over you in football, but you can't honestly tell me that you think they should be able to compete with you every year? Are you people really so glib that you think they OWE you a chance to pay them back for the losses you've taken in the past. Are you grown men and women telling me that parents and a faculty should march their 1A team of kids onto a field that they have NO chance of winning on just so you feel better about all the past losses?

:mad:Don't show your football ignorance by telling me that they have a chance at winning because anyone with any football knowledge knows that at this time Paintsville cannot compete with JC.

:mad:Don't show your greed and tell me that these kids should be sent to be embarassed in front of their friends and family just so Paintsville will make more money from this game. I am truly ashamed of anyone on here that thinks that money should trump the pride and esteem of these young men.

Remember when your making your comments about the cancellation of this game that this is a GAME first and foremost. GAMES are supposed to be about competition and helping these young men become real men by letting them win and lose in FAIR competition on the field. This game is not and lately has not been about FAIR competition. The coaching staff and Paintsville faculty has realized this and has made the tough but mature decision in this situation.:thumb:

I would agree with most of what you say. Where was this spirit when Painstville was running up the score on a weak JC program? Was this a FAIR GAME? If JC had ever wanted to quit back then it would have been talked about for years and made the front page of all the papers! Do you think the Paintsville fans would have not said anything? But I do agree, JC has passed the Paintsville bar and needs to set it higher.