November 15, 200817 yr ...right now? I'm not going to say leadership just yet. Meeks was a stud. However, they forced things and didn't look at Patterson down low too often. That is where they could have dominated early. But if I was BCG, with VMI being as hot as they were, I would have put a 5 guard line up on the floor and ran it out for a bit. I think BCG messed this one up a bit, but you live and you learn. There is a LOT of new faces on this UK team.
November 15, 200817 yr Nothing. They just ran into a buzzsaw in VMI and was not expecting the lights out shooting performance they put on, but I guess no one expected that. Sure its a tough loss, and it doesn't look good on paper, however, fact of the matter is VMI was ridiculous shooting the ball and put up 111. I don't care who you are and who you play its tough to beat a college basketball team that puts up triple digits. I look at the fact UK was down the entire game and couldn't get anything going their way, while VMI continues to just absolutely stroke and pour it on, and how they battled back from twenty three to eventually go up by one. Of course they could not hold the lead, but this game will be very important to the psychy and learning curve of this young UK team. Got a little lesson in adversity tonight, and next time they are down by a good margin, they may have the experience to be able to not only come back, but to seal the deal.
November 15, 200817 yr Nothing. They just ran into a buzzsaw in VMI and was not expecting the lights out shooting performance they put on, but I guess no one expected that. Sure its a tough loss, and it doesn't look good on paper, however, fact of the matter is VMI was ridiculous shooting the ball and put up 111. I don't care who you are and who you play its tough to beat a college basketball team that puts up triple digits. I look at the fact UK was down the entire game and couldn't get anything going their way, while VMI continues to just absolutely stroke and pour it on, and how they battled back from twenty three to eventually go up by one. Of course they could not hold the lead, but this game will be very important to the psychy and learning curve of this young UK team. Got a little lesson in adversity tonight, and next time they are down by a good margin, they may have the experience to be able to not only come back, but to seal the deal. Come on now. How about you defend better and hold them to, I don't know, 101? It was a lot more than the 14 made 3s, and most of that was on the play of UK. Sure they'll get better as the season goes on, but VMI is the top scoring team in the country two years in a row. That's fact. No way that team should come in to Rupp and put up 111. You have to know what you are up against, and it would seem the opener was once again treated as an exhibition game... Edited November 15, 200817 yr by gametime
November 15, 200817 yr A good team starts with a quality PG, and this team doesn't have one yet. They have talent at 2,3,4 and 5, but without a general you won't go far. I say let Liggins get the minutes, he can't be worse than Porter, I just wish he would have taken the USC football gig, Lord knows we'll hear plenty of that this year.
November 15, 200817 yr Author Come on now. How about you defend better and hold them to, I don't know, 101? It was a lot more than the 14 made 3s, and most of that was on the play of UK. Sure they'll get better as the season goes on, but VMI is the top scoring team in the country two years in a row. That's fact. Now way that team should come in to Rupp and put up 111. You have to know what you are up against, and it would seem the opener was once again treated as an exhibition game... I agree. At least early, this UK team looked down at the competition. By the time they realized they were in a "dog fight" it was too late. UK committed a lot of turnovers, some obvious ones on Porter, but I'm yet to throw him under the bus. There was a lot of other players who forced things. I really thing Porter will get better. However, I will admit I wanted to see more out of Liggins.
November 15, 200817 yr Come on now. How about you defend better and hold them to, I don't know, 101? It was a lot more than the 14 made 3s, and most of that was on the play of UK. Sure they'll get better as the season goes on, but VMI is the top scoring team in the country two years in a row. That's fact. No way that team should come in to Rupp and put up 111. You have to know what you are up against, and it would seem the opener was once again treated as an exhibition game... :thumb: I am not sure there was a lot of preparation for this game.
November 15, 200817 yr I believe the telling stats are these: Kentucky hadn't lost to a "mid-major" at home since 2001. That has now happened twice in 2 years. San Diego plays out of the West Coast conference, is that a mid-major? If so, we can make it 3 times. The Key-Dets haven't had a winning season in 10 years. Not since 1989 has Kentucky given up this many points.
November 15, 200817 yr I went to the game and listened to BCG post game show. He took the blame for everything, something Tubby, Rick, and Joe B. would have never done, but he didn't actually play. Turnovers, 12 by the 2 point guards, and lights out shooting by VMI were the biggest turning points in the game. A very close third point was not looking down low for the big men and taking advantage of size. Also, the people where I was sitting were in agreement that VMI pressed the whole game and Kentucky couldn't handle their press, and if KY cannot handle VMI's press what's going to happen Tues. @ UNC? Also, why didn't BCG just come out and press VMI in the first half like he did late in the game. We have plenty of players, just go wave after wave at them and the outcome may have been different. But if you hit your free throws and not turn over the ball you win and we are not looking for answers like we are now.
November 15, 200817 yr I would have to agree with GT...I don't care how hot VMI is, play better defense. Looks like the Cats wanted to get out and run, which was refreshing to see, but you gotta play some D too.
November 15, 200817 yr I went to the game and listened to BCG post game show. He took the blame for everything, something Tubby, Rick, and Joe B. would have never done, but he didn't actually play. Turnovers, 12 by the 2 point guards, and lights out shooting by VMI were the biggest turning points in the game. A very close third point was not looking down low for the big men and taking advantage of size. Also, the people where I was sitting were in agreement that VMI pressed the whole game and Kentucky couldn't handle their press, and if KY cannot handle VMI's press what's going to happen Tues. @ UNC? Also, why didn't BCG just come out and press VMI in the first half like he did late in the game. We have plenty of players, just go wave after wave at them and the outcome may have been different. But if you hit your free throws and not turn over the ball you win and we are not looking for answers like we are now. I have heard Tubby, Rick and Joe B shoulder the blame before. Saying they always shifted the blame is revisionist history. Billy Clyde is a great coach, ... but he is not God. UK got beat by a hot team. Had this been Tubby at the helm, I can't imagine how much venom would have been shot his way after this loss. Fact is that it was one game and I am sure Billy Clyde and the Cats will learn from this loss. Hopefully, it is an early wakeup call that will get their attention. They are still a very young team with only 1 senior and I am not sure if he came off the bench.
November 15, 200817 yr Kentucky came out of the gates thinking they would just push this team over. Only Jodie out of the starting five seemed to have any killer instinct. The rest look a little sluggish and hoped for an easy W. But, I believe BCG found him a lineup in Meeks, Liggins, Miller, Stevenson and Patterson. These five guys were on the floor when they made their big run, and held VMI without a basket for over 3 or 4 minutes. I really like Harris as a 6th man with energy off the bench. Porter just made some awful passes/decisions and acted like he didn't even want the ball in his hands when he was on the floor. He would motion for Stevenson to reverse the ball the other way when trying to break the full court press, or he would go hide in the corner at the other end of the floor. Glad to see Stevenson pick up the slack of Patterson in this game, he looks to be very much improved, especially his hands.
November 15, 200817 yr They played pickup basketball instead of organized D1 basketball and they lost. That's all.
November 15, 200817 yr I am still disappointed that he didn't play Stewart, Krebs, and even Slone. This would've been a perfect game for those shooters. There wasn't any defense anyways, so give them a shot.
November 15, 200817 yr ...right now? I'm not going to say leadership just yet. Meeks was a stud. However, they forced things and didn't look at Patterson down low too often. That is where they could have dominated early. But if I was BCG, with VMI being as hot as they were, I would have put a 5 guard line up on the floor and ran it out for a bit. I think BCG messed this one up a bit, but you live and you learn. There is a LOT of new faces on this UK team. Patterson got in foul trouble and wasn't in the flow of the game. I can't agree with your 5 guard lineup theory, to run it out a bit, as the high score was indicative of that being done. UK looked out of sync on defense, getting caught in the passing lanes and not guarding their man/area. No perimeter pressure on the shooters and boxing out on the boards, was awful. VMI was prepared to play and UK wasn't. The Wildcats are going to rely on players, who will have to mature on the job quickly. Stevenson will have to improve and be aggressive. A true PG, who can penetrate and break down the defense, then deliver is a key. Most of all, the lack of defense or the appearance, of not knowing their assignment, was puzzling. Coach G will correct that but patience, will be the word for this team.
November 15, 200817 yr I think first and foremost the lack of a point guard was very evident. It was like watching a gradeschool game with some of the dumbest turnovers and passes that I have seen. Porter is not the guy that can get UK into their offense. He cannot take anyone off the dribble and cannot create his own shot. Why not live or die with Liggins?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.