Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"County" Roll Call

Featured Replies

I've seen several posts referring to a team as "The County", or even more abbreviated - "County".

 

Just out of curiosity, which schools have a history of referring to themselves simply as "County" or "The County"? I would assume that this terminology is more often used in places where there is a distinct city/county school rivalry, but maybe not.

Catskill Home of Boyd County High School. "The County", distinguishes from Ashland.

I'm not from either place, but I know that Franklin County is often referred to as "County" (differing from Frankfort), as is Christian County (vs. Hopkinsville, or "Hoptown")

Boyle was always referred to as "the County" to differentiate from Danville.

 

"Who are the teams in your town?"

 

"Well there's Danville ('the city') and Boyle ('the county')."

 

It was interchangable because of the presence of only 2 public schools.

I'm not from either place, but I know that Franklin County is often referred to as "County" (differing from Frankfort), as is Christian County (vs. Hopkinsville, or "Hoptown")

 

:thumb: Im from Frankfort, and FCHS has always been referred to as County.

Christian County is the only one I hear usually. It irritates me to no end.

Doesn't every "County" school call themself "the County"?

Doesn't every "County" school call themself "the County"?

Maybe every County school that has another district, but if you're the only school in the district such as Estill, Lee, Montgomery, Woodford etc, it would be kind of lame to refer to yourself as "The County." I know Boyd County does this, and it's the first time I've ever heard it used. Maybe I'll start referring to myself on here as "The Taters" to differentiate from other tater using members. :rolleyes:

In my neck of the woods, that distinction belongs to Boyd Co. I get a chuckle every time I visit my “old room at home” where, decades ago, I stuck a “Beat the County” bumper sticker on my bedroom mirror….and to this day, it is still displayed.

 

Jericho51 probably remembers this….when we used to played Boyd, Ashland players would tear off a piece of white athletic tape and affix it to the front of their helmets. The words “Beat the County” were scribbled across the tape in black marker…

 

Even though Ashland plays numerous teams with “county” in their title…when a Tomcat says “the County”…it only means one school.

Bell County its used alot with Pineville and Middllesboro being city schools.

:thumb: Im from Frankfort, and FCHS has always been referred to as County.

 

^ :thumb:

Maybe every County school that has another district, but if you're the only school in the district such as Estill, Lee, Montgomery, Woodford etc, it would be kind of lame to refer to yourself as "The County." I know Boyd County does this, and it's the first time I've ever heard it used. Maybe I'll start referring to myself on here as "The Taters" to differentiate from other tater using members. :rolleyes:

 

Marshall County.

 

Unless you live in far West Kentucky, you have no idea how much pride there is going on in that place. It is part of linguistics at the far end of the state that when you introduce yourself as from The County, you know exactly what they are referring to.

 

There is a tiny HS other than Marshall, but "The County" is essentially the only school in Marshall... similar to Boyd.

Marshall County.

 

Unless you live in far West Kentucky, you have no idea how much pride there is going on in that place. It is part of linguistics at the far end of the state that when you introduce yourself as from The County, you know exactly what they are referring to.

 

There is a tiny HS other than Marshall, but it is essentially the only school in Marshall... similar to Boyd.

I've lived in Paducah all of my life, but I've never heard anyone from Marshall County refer to it that way.

 

The only school I've heard it from is Christian County ... and it irritates me just as it does Dragon Fire. :lol:

Henderson is often referred to as county in Henderson but that comes from when there was a Henderson City High and Henderson County High. I guess it has just lived on.

Nelson County high school is referred to by locals as "County" as in, "What did the County do in their game the other night?"

 

I guess it distinguishes it from the city school here, Bardstown, and the private school here, Bethlehem.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.