Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"County" Roll Call

Featured Replies

Marshall County.

 

Unless you live in far West Kentucky, you have no idea how much pride there is going on in that place. It is part of linguistics at the far end of the state that when you introduce yourself as from The County, you know exactly what they are referring to.

 

There is a tiny HS other than Marshall, but "The County" is essentially the only school in Marshall... similar to Boyd.

This wouldn't be similar to Boyd at all. Unless you consider Ashland Independent a tiny little school. Plus you have Fairview and Rose Hill Christian.

As has been stated, in Frankfort, Franklin County high school is known as "County." Rarely have I heard it referred to as THE County. That's probably because there is also another county high school but it doesn't bear the County name.

 

I.E. "Did County win their game last night?"

 

All public high schools in Frankfort can be represented with just one word; County, High (or Frankfort), Hills.

 

I would also assume this practice is more common in Kentucky as opposed to our surrounding states since KY is in the top 5 in number of counties (most having a small size). So one school can often service the entire county area. Where as others states not so much. is this true?

Doesn't every "County" school call themself "the County"?

 

No, not if they are the only school in the county.

Marshall County.

 

Unless you live in far West Kentucky, you have no idea how much pride there is going on in that place. It is part of linguistics at the far end of the state that when you introduce yourself as from The County, you know exactly what they are referring to.

 

There is a tiny HS other than Marshall, but "The County" is essentially the only school in Marshall... similar to Boyd.

 

I thought Marshall Countians refferred to their school simply as "Marshall" or "the Marshalls"...When I hear "county" I immediately think of Christian County because that's what so many of their fans call the school.

  • Author

I've heard it most often with Christian County and Boyd County; then saw it recently in a Franklin County football thread. I started this thread because I wanted to find out if it was commonplace in other counties.

 

Thanks!

Edited by mcpapa

In Henry County when I was in school we called ourselves county. Alot of my buddies say, "Hey you goin to county this weekend?" when they are trying to schedule something when all of our class from college is coming back home.

Jericho51 probably remembers this….when we used to played Boyd, Ashland players would tear off a piece of white athletic tape and affix it to the front of their helmets. The words “Beat the County” were scribbled across the tape in black marker…

 

I can remember this back when I lived in the area. I also remember Boyd County players wearing bumper stickers on their helmets that stated "Thank God that I am a Farmer" as well.

 

The good ole days.:thumb:

 

The Boyd County/Ashland Rivalry has about got as low as the Johnson Central/Paintsville Rivalry.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.