Ricardo Johnson invited to Midnight Madness

The 6-foot-5, 190-pound junior is considered by many to be the top player of his class in the state of Kentucky. His performance in the 2008 Sweet Sixteen, as his Holmes team was runner-up to Mason Co., began a rapid rise on the recruiting front. "Kentucky really started showing a lot of interest since the state tournament. I have talked to them a lot lately."

UK assistant coach Tracy Webster and head coach Billy Gillispie are handling Johnson's recruitment. "Coach Gillispie is real cool. Coach Webster is real interesting. I really like their tradition. I have Kentucky at the top right now. I have heard from Xavier, Georgetown, Indiana, Butler, Akron, Cincinnati, Western Kentucky, and Eastern Kentucky."

UK assistant coach Tracy Webster and head coach Billy Gillispie are handling Johnson's recruitment. "Coach Gillispie is real cool. Coach Webster is real interesting. I really like their tradition. I have Kentucky at the top right now. I have heard from Xavier, Georgetown, Indiana, Butler, Akron, Cincinnati, Western Kentucky, and Eastern Kentucky."

Ky or DC

I received the rest of the story from Baseballguy in a P.m, so here's a little more from it:

Jeff Drummond/CatsPause.com

When I was fifteen, I got invited to go, but I couldn't go because of family issues. But I'll be there Friday. I am really looking forward to it."

He may not have been able to attend a previous Madness at UK, but Holmes has a similar event. "My school is having a Madness, too. We have a dunk contest, and a shooting contest, competing with each other, and interacting with the community. It's coming up real soon. We actually start practice on October 15th, but I'm always in the gym anyway."

The state tournament championship game loss to current Wildcat Darius Miller's Mason County team, spurred Johnson to a new commitment for this upcoming season. "I feel like I have really improved. But I needed to. I wanted to work on every part of my game. Having an all-around game is an advantage. I have some unfinished business that I have to take care of this year. I have to get back."

Johnson followed that with a strong summer in AAU ball as a member of the KY Playaz, and a particularly good performance at the national AAU tournament in Florida with the Queen City Prophets.

Last season for Holmes, Johnson averaged around eleven points per game, five rebounds, and three blocks.

That's good to hear. I assume they're looking at him as a potential 2G or SF with his size and athleticism?

Cronin's system is very similar to Pitino in that there is little difference between 2's and 3s. He's being looked at as a wing fitting that role...

Johnson is a very nice player. I would be very surprised if he don't go to a big D-1 school.

I agree. I still think he'll be the biggest prospect in KY his senior year. If he has a huge year this year, which he should, don't be surprised to see him make a campaign his senior year for Mr. Basketball.