Congratulations Coach Wooten

Former Boyd star Wooten new coach

By ROCKY STANLEY / The Independent

CANNONSBURG — Thirty-five years ago, a smallish point guard with floppy hair and floppy socks directed Boyd County High School to its first regional basketball championship.

Dave Wooten’s heart never left the court. He continues to play the game with vigor and has coached off and on for Boyd County at the middle school and freshman levels

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localsports/local_story_221233040.html

:dancingpa

You may also want to quote his experience listed in the paper......I coached years before in the seventh and eighth grade(this was at Catlettsburg Junior High) , helped Roger in the mid eighties and last year, and Phil for two years, played one season in college, and has AAU coaching experience. (from what I understand he was a short timer as an AAU coach) You may notice the lack of experience as a coach listed....nothing by himself above the ninth grade level. It takes more than heart and emotion to coach a team. I hope the Principal that hired him, his old school mate Ms. Salisbury, has some good leads on assistant coaches as Dave may need some help getting things up and running. There is nothing more I want to see than BC be at the top of region again. I am just shocked by this decision and for the sake of the kids and community hope this works out.

Does anyone know who may be helping him as an assistant? JV Coach? Is Tyler Zornes coming back? Brian? John? Rick?

Congratulations to Dave. I feel if any body can bring Boyd back to the good years it will be you. It might take awhile and I hope you get the time and backing you will need. Very proud of how hard you have worked with the kids since Phil Pratt brought you on the staff.

Congratulations to Dave. I feel if any body can bring Boyd back to the good years it will be you. It might take awhile and I hope you get the time and backing you will need. Very proud of how hard you have worked with the kids since Phil Pratt brought you on the staff.[/QUOTE]

^Agree!!!!:thumb::thumb:

I have confidence Coach W. will do the necessary things to succeed:

1: Demand high commitment and effort

2: Emphasize player development

3: Have a level playing field regarding who plays.

4: Connect well with the players.

The challenge he will face will be the same whether Coach Wooten or Coach Wooden (John) is at Boyd County. Need more players. I think this may be an issue because more attention needs to be paid to developing a true feeder system. The lack of emphasis here has led to a loss of some kids who could have helped.

I will be rooting for Coach Wooten's success.

• 2 months later...

Coach Wooten cut a senior player this week that had dedicated himself to the BCHS basketball program and had improved immensely over the years. He had put this player in a leadership role this summer.....why the change of heart now? This young man is a great kid, solid student, and a positive role model along with being one of the BEST returning players. From what I understand Mr. Wooten's excuse was that a freshmen was better......that same freshmen is kin to someone high up at the high school.

For the sake of the program I hope somebody steps up to the plate and gets a handle on things. The kids, parents, and community deserve a fair and quality program.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Would you be so upset if it were a different freshman. Just maybe Wooten is trying to develop some younger talent, because he knows this will be a long season since he has very little returning talent.

The player he cut was one of the few players with experience returning and had totally dedicated himself to the program over the years and had improved immensely. This player has a life connection to one of the coaches (this coach having many years of dedicated experience coaching at BC) Mr. Wooten did not want back on the staff. Sour grapes, no! Politics, yes!

For things to move forward in a positive direction a lot of things need to improve. Take politics out, hire the most qualified staff (Is Max Hunter still coaching?), have organized/focused practices, make sure the elementary league is run effectively.

have organized and focused practices? Sounds as if you need to coach. Roger Zornes is a legend in the 16th region and he couldn't nor did he want to stay to change the attitude and atmosphere of this program. What is gone from Boyd Co. is the PRIDE of wearing that LION uniform. When the kids there respect what was the BOYD CO. PROGRAM and accept the challenge of restoring that PRIDE, then and only then will they have success.:fight: