Top Players in the 2010 Class

With AAU a lot of times you have to be in the right situation to shine. And its a more guard-oriented game anyways. If the kid is unselfish I could see why he could be very good, but not dominate.

Hit the nail on the head LMB. In middle school he dominated because at 6'6 and being a guard he was bigger than everyone who tried to guard him and as you said was in a good situation.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arnold has dominated at what level? He's not even close to being the best soph to be in N Ky. He has never been a contributor on any of the top AAU teams in this age group and he wasn't even a force at the JV level for Holmes this past season.

I saw Holmes 7-8 times this year on the varsity level and 2-3 times on the JV level. While dressing for Holmes as a frosh was a pretty significant achievement with their talent level his minutes were pretty much limited to garbage minutes.

While I will agree he has potential he has yet to put it to use and saying that he has dominated at his age level would be an overstatement.

If you want to see where most of the best players from the class of 2011 ended up check out both Shining Stars (Pittman & McCord) rosters.

Even though Arnold is not playing for the Shining Stars teams, he is still IMO one of the top prospects in NKY. He has been playing with a 17U team with a couple of the seniors-to-be from Holmes, which IMO will help him develop. He is playing against bigger and stronger players than he normally would if he played in his age group. He also works pretty hard and has some pretty good seniors guiding him along. He may surprise some people next season for Holmes.

Even though Arnold is not playing for the Shining Stars teams, he is still IMO one of the top prospects in NKY. He has been playing with a 17U team with a couple of the seniors-to-be from Holmes, which IMO will help him develop. He is playing against bigger and stronger players than he normally would if he played in his age group. He also works pretty hard and has some pretty good seniors guiding him along. He may surprise some people next season for Holmes.

I agree. The only time Arnold has played at his age level was in middle school which was the first time I saw him and he looked dominant the few times I seen him. Also at 6'6 he is still growing in to his body. Playing against older competition will help him in the long run.

K is just a huge match up problem for any teams in the Northern Kentucky area. At his size he can post up on a guard and drag a big man out on the perimeter. He's just so raw it's hard to tell what he will be like in the future. He's a pretty predictable player considering he uses his strong hand (left) 90 percent of the time and using the same moves on offense constantly. I think once he is a junior/senior Henley will have alot more one on one time to work with him. He has a great scoring mentality and if he gets stronger could have a great career. In the past weekend at a 17u aau tournament he averaged about 13-15 points a game, I'd say that's performing above his age level.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

K is just a huge match up problem for any teams in the Northern Kentucky area. At his size he can post up on a guard and drag a big man out on the perimeter. He's just so raw it's hard to tell what he will be like in the future. He's a pretty predictable player considering he uses his strong hand (left) 90 percent of the time and using the same moves on offense constantly. I think once he is a junior/senior Henley will have alot more one on one time to work with him. He has a great scoring mentality and if he gets stronger could have a great career. In the past weekend at a 17u aau tournament he averaged about 13-15 points a game, I'd say that's performing above his age level.

Agree. It's tough to tell how good he'll really be since he's so raw right now, but he definetly presents match up problems for almost anyone in NKY. It's not very often a 6'6 freshman comes along with the guard skills Arnold already possesses.

I think Keyvon could be a great Greg Rice type player, elbow to elbow with a great kumpshot. I'm excited to see what Henley does with him.

Keyvon is already bigger than Rice was height wise so that's a very good possibility. I also think Keyvon handles the ball better and has a better jump shot than Rice. I think Keyvon just needs to work on his inside game. He is already pretty good outside but what made Rice so dominant was his soft touch around the rim. If Keyvon develops that, he'll be very tough to stop.

Very, very true in everything you said. I was just referring to their ability to create matchup problems for opponents. I think the main differential between the two was Rice's go-get-it attitude. In a close game Rice kept the same attitude. Keyvon is a tough competitor but he does start not to care once he's losing by so much. IMO I think K will be an overall better player than Rice.

Keyvon's dad is also not huge but he's pretty tall. His dad is "Lump" as everyone calls him is around 6'4. SO maybe K can grow a little more but I personnaly don't see it.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Very, very true in everything you said. I was just referring to their ability to create matchup problems for opponents. I think the main differential between the two was Rice's go-get-it attitude. In a close game Rice kept the same attitude. Keyvon is a tough competitor but he does start not to care once he's losing by so much. IMO I think K will be an overall better player than Rice.

Keyvon's dad is also not huge but he's pretty tall. His dad is "Lump" as everyone calls him is around 6'4. SO maybe K can grow a little more but I personnaly don't see it.

Anytime you have a kid who's 6'6 and can play inside and out it's going to create match up problems. I agree on the Rice assessment. If K can develop the same mentality he will indeed be better than Rice.

I think it will really help him develop over the next two years being able to play with D1 caliber players like Rico and Pittman.

I believe Keyvon's family as a whole is pretty tall so I wouldn't be surprised to see him grow an inch or two more.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding KHSAA eligibility for Scott County transfers.....

I just heard late last week, that the KHSAA DOES in fact have some kind of inquiry going on regarding Jackson and Euton. Supposedly there was a KHSAA meeting last Friday 6/6 on the matter. My source is pretty good, although they are not personally in on the meetings/discussions.

Pretty sure in the end, both with be ruled eligiibile.

Also what is the latest on Tanner Shotwell and Scott County? Is he eligible to play next year? Hears there was some issue with him playing for LCA last season.

Thanks....