Scoring Question

Bases loader, no outs, pop up in front of the shortstop on the dirt, Blue yells INFIELD FLY right away....SS loses the ball in the sun and it hits the ground.

Who gets the Put Out ?

Never saw this happen....but what if....

I've seen infield flies dropped several times. I would believe the put out would be recorded to the fielder that should have caught the ball (regardless of whether he actually catches it).

One time, I saw an infield fly land halfway between mound and plate towards 1B side (P and C stand there and look at each other) and then backspin into foul territory without being touched. Umpire had yelled "Infield Fly - Batter is Out" but forgot to say "If fair". Nonetheless, it was a foul ball, even if the umpire had already called the batter out.

Good question....does anyone have to get it? I suppose if someone has to get credit for it the SS gets it for being closest to it, ala an errant tip in basketball by an opponent, closest offensive player gets the bucket.

I saw this one the other day which I believe the umpire missed.....on a swinging strike three with 2 outs and first base open the batter misses the pitch completely but the ball breaks down and in striking the hitter on the top of his foot and rolls in front of the plate. The umpire makes no call and forces our catcher to throw the ball to first to get the out as if it were a dropped third strike. Isn't it a dead ball, strike three, batter out, inning over?

Good question....does anyone have to get it? I suppose if someone has to get credit for it the SS gets it for being closest to it, ala an errant tip in basketball by an opponent, closest offensive player gets the bucket.

I saw this one the other day which I believe the umpire missed.....on a swinging strike three with 2 outs and first base open the batter misses the pitch completely but the ball breaks down and in striking the hitter on the top of his foot and rolls in front of the plate. The umpire makes no call and forces our catcher to throw the ball to first to get the out as if it were a dropped third strike. Isn't it a dead ball, strike three, batter out, inning over?

Dead ball when it hit his foot but obviously Blue thought it was a swing and a miss...so yes, you would have to throw to first.

Dead ball when it hit his foot but obviously Blue thought it was a swing and a miss...so yes, you would have to throw to first.

It was a no doubt full swing and a miss, but it's a dead ball after it hits the batter. No throw to first should have been required. Catcher shouldn't have to chase a ball that hits a batters foot and then throw to first.

It was a no doubt full swing and a miss, but it's a dead ball after it hits the batter. No throw to first should have been required. Catcher shouldn't have to chase a ball that hits a batters foot and then throw to first.

My point is Blue must not have seen the ball hit his foot.