March 15, 200818 yr RPI is now 60... OUCH, that's horrible......I didn't think this loss hurt them that bad, looks like Ole Miss is out as well.
March 15, 200818 yr One thing that helps UK is that basically all the other bubble teams lost early in their tournaments as well. So if we was in going into today, it will be hard for one of those teams to jump us now.
March 15, 200818 yr Author You are right about all things but no team with 12 SEC confrence wins has ever been left out. I'll clarify that a little. No team from a big 6 conference...
March 15, 200818 yr UK lost to a less than stellar UGA team. That adds some anxiety to the waiting game. UK looked out of it twice during the game, played sluggishly and ran out of steam in both halves. If the committee ONLY watches the UGA-UK game tape (and I doubt that they do), then UK most likely doesn't make it in. More likely they'll consider their SEC record; quality wins; and fan base ($$$). They just didn't look like a team that would impress the NCAA selection committee on this day.
March 15, 200818 yr New Mexico got in to the dance with a 74 RPI in 1999... I bet their record appeared to be a lot better though.
March 15, 200818 yr I bet their record appeared to be a lot better though. But did they have wins over top 5 teams?
March 15, 200818 yr According to the Bracketology this morning, these were the teams UK was ahead of in regards to getting in (UK was a #9 seed) Arkansas UNLV Miami (FL) Kent State South Alabama St. Joseph's Baylor Arizona Illinois State Oregon Ohio State Temple ----------------------------Cut line UMass Virginia Tech Villanova Arizona State VCU New Mexico Dayton Ole Miss One advantage I see is that other than VT, not a single one of those teams on the outside can play themselves in. The committee would have to judge that UK's last loss was bad enough to drop them beyond those other teams. Either Temple or St. Joe's is going to get in by virtue of their tourney. I'd say pull for St. Joe's in that scenario, because it's entirely possible that a loss would send Temple packing.
March 15, 200818 yr If for some reason UGa. or Arkansas win this tournament UK is out of the NCAA. Why Arkansas? Arkansas is probably going to be in it now no matter what with the win over Vandy. Arkansas is a pretty solid team.
March 15, 200818 yr And last night was a great night.:thumb: Yeah I don't have to watch IU play... You must mean the shot last night to send your hooisers home? No yesterday was. All of these post were very good and very accurate observations, Tubby Smith just slammed down the phone and diconnected I.U.'s Big10 tourney call. (I'm sorry I.U., your championship could not be complete as dailed, please hang up and call 1-800- Got Beat).: :thumb: Calling K. Sampson???? :laugh::laugh: Hello Coach, you know that little misunderstanding earlier about those petty little phone calls thing???....:lol::lol:
March 15, 200818 yr You are right about all things but no team with 12 SEC confrence wins has ever been left out. I don't think that the SEC has ever been this blah either.
March 15, 200818 yr Why are you humanizing the committee like that. I really doubt they are going to be understanding because a team got an extra days rest. They aren't going to be understanding of injuries either, they will look at UK's season long resume (which isn't very good at all), then they'll look at the SEC tourney, which was awful, then they'll look at the Sagarin and the RPI, both of those aren't good either. Lastly, they'll look at the SEC record, which is good, but the SEC is bad, so that won't help near as much as some of you think it does. The SEC is so bad why are they 4th best conference according to RPI?
March 15, 200818 yr But do you not acknowledge that it is a given in almost every game that referees are expected to call it that way? A foul is not a foul when there are 1.2 seconds left in the game. It's like the announcers talked about with advantage. No advantage was being gained by the foul. I. What do you mean "no advantage?" The purpose of a pick is to free the man with the ball to shoot/pass/dribble more freely. I don't buy the "you don't call it late in the game" crap. Rules are rules. I'd ask an official to give me the rule that says it wasn't a foul or that the rules change with less than a minute.
March 15, 200818 yr This pretty much sums it up (per ESPN.com): Kentucky [18-11 (12-4), RPI: 47, SOS: 15] Weather postponed the Wildcats' SEC quarterfinal until Saturday, but it shouldn't matter as far as UK's at-large status. What went down around the country Thursday pretty much makes Kentucky safe. Yes, a loss to Georgia wouldn't be great, but almost everyone else lost, and the Cats appeared to be on the right side of the cut line before that. If they get in, it would be an incredible recovery from their early-season injuries, performance woes and the late loss of Patrick Patterson for the season. There are some ugly numbers in the profile -- namely no nonleague win in the top 250, no road win anywhere in the top 140 and 5-10 against the top 100 -- but the SEC surge when the roster got healthy definitely carries weight as the Cats are one of the few teams pushing their way in instead of out.
March 15, 200818 yr Like the ESPN people said this year it's a pretty soft bubble with not many teams with resumes that are built for the NCAA tournament.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.