Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why I Hate Duke University

Featured Replies

  • Author
I like number 2 video better!

 

No contest! :ylsuper:

  • Replies 60
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first is the unbelievable amount of exposure they get, mostly from ESPN.
Jealousy. Why else would this matter?

 

The second reason is the Laettner highlight. I would estimate that 60+% of the time that ESPN shows someone in a UK jersey, it is because of that particular highlight. Perhaps the most loved UK team in history, getting beat by one of the biggest jerks of all time (Laettner). The hatred tied to that highlight is enough for UK fans to keep re-living the emotions they felt from that game. In effect it doesn't matter if they never play again, every time that highlight gets played its like re-living the loss over and over and over again.

 

For those of you who aren't Kentucky fans and who insist on trying to understand this, imagine the most difficult loss you've ever been forced to deal with (sports or not), then imagine if that moment were played ad nauseum on national television for the following 16 years or so. How would you feel about it?

Do you think Syracuse fans despise IU? No, they couldn't care less. IU and Syracuse have no rivalry and Keith Smart and IU are not hated in New York. His shot to win the NCAA tournament is shown constantly when the tournament rolls around. This was in the championship game, it meant much more, same amount of time left, no difference. It was 16 years ago.

 

It would be one thing to hate Christian Laettner, and still carry a grudge I suppose, although it's still odd. But UK fans universally despise Duke so bad it's comical, and by and large it is b/c of one shot, 16 years ago.

 

Duke beat IU in that same tournament on a late game 3 in the Final Four, no anomosity here.

My all time basketball hate list not to be confused with football hate list:

 

1. Duke (Hate everything about them)

 

1A. Duke (Will think of more reasons to hate them)

 

3. North Carolina (Hate Dean Smith who ruined college basketball with 4 corner offense until NCAA figured it out too and put in shot clock, but like Michael Jordan)

 

4. Louisville ( Basketball no, football yes)

 

5. Indiana (They might be moving up the list soon)

One reason I like UNC along with UK (I know most of you think that is not possible) is because the Tar Heels absolutly hate Duke. Probably even more than UK does.

One of the only former Duke players I now cheer for Mr. Elton Brand tells it better than I ever could in an email he sent to some stuck up brat that was his classmate at Duke:

 

From: Elton Tyron Brand

Sent: Sunday, April 25, 1999 8:05 PM

To: Taylor, Jennifer

Subject: Re: Leaving Duke

 

Thank you very much, for reminding me of the reason why I left Duke. People like you can not and will not ever understand my situation. I'm sure daddy worked very hard to send your rich self to college. While real people struggle. I would also like to extend an invitation for you not to waste your or my time ever agin. Never being considered a part of your posh group of yuppies really hurts me to the heart. Yeah, right. Because I don't care about you or your alumni.

 

Sincerely,

Elton Brand #42 NBA

 

If you want to read the entire email from the girl see below.

 

 

http://www.aseaofblue.com/story/2007/6/7/102426/5876

It is hard to be a fan of any team and like Duke.... Also I could not have been happier to see them loose 2 in a row.

Because they are good, get alot of national exposure, and it stems from "the shot"....... nothing more but UK fans can't get over it.

 

It's just like this years superbowl Nobody wanted the Patriots to win for these same reasons.

Just for the record, I don't think you need a reason. It is simply because they are DUKE.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=355217

 

From the Sporting News. Click on the video to see an example of the "flop".

I do not share the animosity towards Duke that many UK fans on here do, but I think that's pretty despicable. Personally, I hate flopping by any player on any team in any sport. I am all for taking a charge, but it kills me to see players doing stuff like this. IMO, flopping in basketball is no different from the ridiculous acting you see on a soccer field.

It's been nearly 16 years. Let it go.

There should be a thread about why alot of other teams fans hate UK fans.

Jealousy. Why else would this matter?

 

Do you think Syracuse fans despise IU? No, they couldn't care less. IU and Syracuse have no rivalry and Keith Smart and IU are not hated in New York. His shot to win the NCAA tournament is shown constantly when the tournament rolls around. This was in the championship game, it meant much more, same amount of time left, no difference. It was 16 years ago.

 

It would be one thing to hate Christian Laettner, and still carry a grudge I suppose, although it's still odd. But UK fans universally despise Duke so bad it's comical, and by and large it is b/c of one shot, 16 years ago.

 

Duke beat IU in that same tournament on a late game 3 in the Final Four, no anomosity here.

 

 

I agree with your points and think your Syracuse-IU illustration is right on as would be a Houston-NC State one. For the record there was one second left when Smart hit his shot and SU finally called Time out. The celebration scene is after he intercepts a halfcourt pass and throws it in the air.

 

My reasons for not caring for Duke now have nothing to do with UK or that game. I'm around Dukies and Tar Holes all the time here. It's just overexposure for me around here.

 

As to the Laettner shot, it hurt but never to the point of hatred. This was the greatest Collegiate Basketball game I ever saw and that includes before the Laettner shot. I still feel that way, it's just that my team lost. That's all. '96 and '98 washed most of that pain away and I feel fine. It made up for that and the '84 debacle, the dream game, and the great Mash foul out of '93.

Smart, et al were not the yuppie jerks that Laettner and company were. The stomp, Thomas Hill crying, etc.

 

While I dont care for Duke, I dont carry a ton of hatred for them like many. I did not like Laettner, among others over the years. That being said, people are different. I wont forget that game, it was one of my earliest memories of UK basketball. I can understand where people would "hate" Duke. They beat this very memorable Kentucky team on the heels of the darkest time in the programs history. Kentucky fans arent supposed to forget this game, hence the name of that group of players "The Unforgettables." To forget that game, would be to forget that team. That my friends, is just not going to happen.

That's a point I kept trying to make also. I've despised the New York Mets ever since 1986. I've been a Red Sox fan my whole life and Game 6 ripped my heart out. 2004 and 2007 helped exorcise those demons but I still can't stand the Mets and probably never will.

So do you hate Duke as well? If so, I imagine we couldn't be friends :D j/k

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.